Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

It's gotten much better. The options are there if you seek them out they are just not there at every place.

I remember in the early 90s you could get a fluffernutter sandwich (peanut butter and marshmallow fluff) on almost every kid's menu. How healthy is that? UGH

(Though my inner six year old thinks it's sounds kinda yummy in a grotesque sort of way)
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Are restaurants in the real world all that much better?

I have had to split entrees with my DS or buy him his own entree if I didn't feel like eating the same thing at many restaurants in the real world. And a smaller portion of adult offerings isn't always necessarily healthier. The adult offerings are things like pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, pasta dishes, salad with tons of cheese and dressing.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #33
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoilinnsMom View Post
Maybe it's just me, but my daughter won't eat any of the "kids" items. Chicken nuggets, pizza, orange macaroni and cheese, etc. This is one of the reasons I will never get DDP while she is still technically a child. Being forced to order from the menu"where available" would be a waste of money. Why don't they offer smaller portions of adult entrees to the kids? Why does the kids menu include inferior food items as a rule? We go to the buffets so she has a better choice, it's not like she is going toeat that much anyway. Disney seems way behind on this...
Something my brother and SIL did with my nephews when they didn't want what was on the kids menu, was to allow them to order an appetizer for their meal. My older nephew ordered a calamari appetizer at 2 places while we were there. Also, BOG has some non-traditional kids menu fare.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
shoney
DIS Veteran

I would just like to see tastier more varied children's menus. I don't think they necessarily have to be healthy! I really enjoyed my "aint bleedin chowder" at Raglan Road or my prime rib and mac n cheese w/cornbread at Boatwrights. These were not "healthy" choices, but were very delicious. We eat healthier meals at home...on vacation we go crazy with ourselves!

At many restaurants, not just Disney, the kids menu is just plain boring...nuggets, pizza, hamburger, hot dog. It may be fine for one or 2 meals, but after a weeks vacation even a kids can bored with that!

When my kids could agree, they would split an adult entrée instead of ordering off the kids menu.

My ds11 is a picky eater. He'll eat asparagus and broccoli, but won't eat French fries. He'll often just settle for something on the kids menu because he doesn't eat much and he hates to try new things. Vacation is not the time to have this battle.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgardesign View Post
Our last trip to WDW, we got the free dining plan (first time we've ever used one of those.....and our last, as well). Our son.....9 at the time.....was vastly underwhelmed by his choices.
We've always used the DP and we always managed to find many places where they could get "real" food

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
goalie mom
Earning My Ears

We will not be getting the DDP for that reason, either. My kids don't eat like that! It really is a shame that they don't have smaller portions of normal, healthy food for kids meals...
goalie mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

I understand that these are the "safe options" that most kids like, but one or two more adventrous items per menu would be really nice!
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Really? "Every other thread"? That is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ya think?
Yes, it is a bit of an exaggeration. I assumed that was obvious. The quote was a bit of an exaggeration, too.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #39
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoilinnsMom View Post
Maybe it's just me, but my daughter won't eat any of the "kids" items. Chicken nuggets, pizza, orange macaroni and cheese, etc. This is one of the reasons I will never get DDP while she is still technically a child. Being forced to order from the menu"where available" would be a waste of money. Why don't they offer smaller portions of adult entrees to the kids? Why does the kids menu include inferior food items as a rule? We go to the buffets so she has a better choice, it's not like she is going toeat that much anyway. Disney seems way behind on this...
Kids menu implies "kids" food-chick nuggets, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, etc. Kids can eat whatever they like anywhere at WDW-and adults can too. Another reason to avoid the Dining Plan.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
We've always used the DP and we always managed to find many places where they could get "real" food
Awesome. Glad it works out for you.

As for us.....nope. Son is not a fan of pizza, nuggets, mac-n-cheese, etc. Yes.....some places did have good alternatives (and he did, in fact, have some meals that he enjoyed). But others did not. We are not the type of eaters that the DDP works for. We got it free upon booking. Discussed it at the end of our trip, and we were not impressed. Generally, we prefer two meals a day (late table breakfast/early table lunch and a sig. dinner) no snacks and not big fans of counter service. So the plan we had did not work well for us at all.

Friends that went with us, it worked better for. Their son is a bit more staple in his dining choices. And they like the counter service and snacks. So.....they were pleased with their DDP experience.

But, cool that it does well for you.
metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think part of the reason they don't do kid sized portions of the adult food is because they don't want adults buying smaller amounts of food, and paying the smaller price. And many adults would go for the kid sized portions if they were offered.

I think now there is really no reason to be upset or surprised by the kid's meals at WDW. Look them up before you go, and before you make your ADRs. If you know your child won't eat the food, don't make the ADR. AS far as variety goes, it is out there! But once again doing research before your trip is key. Then you will know where to find the grilled salmon, steak, salads, and other things besides nuggets and burgers that are on kid's menus. The food isn't crappy, not by a long shot!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I think part of the reason they don't do kid sized portions of the adult food is because they don't want adults buying smaller amounts of food, and paying the smaller price. And many adults would go for the kid sized portions if they were offered. . .
We certainly would.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybird View Post
My now 29 year old son and I just had this discussion the other day. I read on these boards constantly the complaints from parents about their "picky eaters". My father took me to DL when it had been open 2 years. I know for sure if I had complained about food when my folks took me on a fabulous vacation, it would have been the last. My kids felt the same way. They were not picky eaters because they had 2 choices. Take it or leave it. Disney has many options, including buying an adult entrée (which we usually did, my kids never ate chicken strips, nuggets, mac n cheese), sharing from an adult and the buffets. They will not starve, there are plenty of choices, and when parents stop letting their children dictate what they would/should eat, there will be more options.
Truer words were never spoken.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #44
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post

Unfortunately I think the kids menu issue is because a large portion of families don't feed their children anything but these "staples". As a World Showcase CM I couldn't tell you how many times I would e asked where I could suggest that had "real food". I always sighed (inly started sighing after the 100x time i heard this) and said well this is the World Showcase we have food from 11 countries some of the best including Italy, Japan, an our hidden gem Morocco. Then they would scoff and say no pizza or chicken you know kid food. I would then roll my eyes (not always) and say America. It is a sad situation and I ha this happen at least once a day and as high as once an hour. Honestly this and the question is this where we meet perry, sign up for the show, enter the ride are the only time I let my sass come out to guests because it was just when you wanted to be done with it all.

Edit: I don't want to sound like a bad CM but this was one of the questions I always hated because I felt so bad for the kids. I also loved during F&W when a guy asked where he could get a beer. I informed him most of the Botha would have it since it was F&W and he replied no I want real beer you know like a Bud light. I almost died.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this post.
I would have had a hard time keeping a polite face also if people had been asking me questions like this.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #45
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post

{FLAME PROOF SUIT IN PLACE}
NOTE: Just to get on my High Horse for a moment and do personal opinion.
Too many parents allow "picky eaters" in the kids. I am not talking about
those cases of physical/mental conditions where kids can't/won't tolerate
anything but plain food. I am talking about average & normal kids that
dictate their menus to the parents. For a while we had such a child.
We got to a point where we put out food, and if it wasn't eaten, kids
went hungry until breakfast. As adults, they now eat lots of foods.
{FLAME PROOF SUIT BACK ON SHELF}
I'm going to put on my flame proof suit also and say that I agree.

I've known people who refer to their kids as "picky-eaters" when in fact they've never really tried their kids out on 'adventurous' food. The parents make presumptions, feed the kids what they think they'll like, and then label them as 'picky'. By the time they get older, they usually are picky as they're not used to anything else.

The last meal we had out, my 5 year old son ordered teriyaki grilled fish and commented how it was one of the 'yummiest lunches ever'. The last time I asked him what I should cook for dinner, he said "Prawn curry".

I'm no perfect parent, I've abused my own body with food, and it's a conscious battle of mine to not let the same bad habits rub off on my son. So it is extra important to me that my son knows that food just doesn't need to be fried or processed to taste good.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 04-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: