Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
Just look on this very board at the "outrage" over the BOG kkids menu. I think that right there tells the story.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
I was thinking the exact same thing!

It'd be nice if they changed it up and added more adult options for kids, but they did that at ONE restaurant and it's caused a huge stir! Imagine if they did it everywhere!

aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on where you're eating. When my kids were younger, we purposely chose places that had a good variety so they weren't eating that junk the entire trip. There are still plenty of places that have better options for kids and agree with some of the buffets. I also found that most of CS restaurants in the parks are awful with the exception of Epcot that is why we never eat at any of the CS in the parks. We prefer to either go to DTD or one of the resort restaurants. Don't get me wrong, my girls who are now young adults still like some of the "junk" but wouldn't eat every day.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When will Disney stop serving crappy kids food?
When guests stop demanding it. Honestly, every other thread on this board is some variation on, "My kid won't eat anything but chicken nuggets - and not the white meat kind, they have to be the pressed-meat kind like they have at McDonald's. How DARE they serve something WILD and EXOTIC and ADVENTUROUS like meatloaf and turkey sandwiches at Be Our guest?!? I'll have to buy the nuggets somewhere else and bring them in with me or he'll STARVE TO DEATH! WHY DOES DISNEY WANT ALL CHILDREN TO STARVE AND DIE?!?"
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Everyone is different and what works for one family doesn't always work for another. We usually travel with two adults (me and my best friend) and my DD who will be 3 our next trip. None of us are big eaters and my DD doesn't eat the "standard" kids food, so for us DDP doesn't work.

Instead for us we are going with APs and TIW card. That way we can order a few appetizers or one entree to share for the three of us. My DD only wants to eat what I eat, but she will try any type of food.

I think the choices are there, just not always obvious, you just need to find what works for your family.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
kaybird
DIS Veteran

My now 29 year old son and I just had this discussion the other day. I read on these boards constantly the complaints from parents about their "picky eaters". My father took me to DL when it had been open 2 years. I know for sure if I had complained about food when my folks took me on a fabulous vacation, it would have been the last. My kids felt the same way. They were not picky eaters because they had 2 choices. Take it or leave it. Disney has many options, including buying an adult entrée (which we usually did, my kids never ate chicken strips, nuggets, mac n cheese), sharing from an adult and the buffets. They will not starve, there are plenty of choices, and when parents stop letting their children dictate what they would/should eat, there will be more options.

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
When guests stop demanding it. Honestly, every other thread on this board is some variation on, "My kid won't eat anything but chicken nuggets - and not the white meat kind, they have to be the pressed-meat kind like they have at McDonald's. How DARE they serve something WILD and EXOTIC and ADVENTUROUS like meatloaf and turkey sandwiches at Be Our guest?!? I'll have to buy the nuggets somewhere else and bring them in with me or he'll STARVE TO DEATH! WHY DOES DISNEY WANT ALL CHILDREN TO STARVE AND DIE?!?"
Really? "Every other thread"? That is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ya think?

Kids can eat whatever their parents want them to. Disney does not force anyone to eat anything. Everyone has a choice. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Eat off site. Cook your own food. No one should complain about not having something whether it be chicken nuggets or a healthy salad. Eat what you want just like you do at home. It is not Disney's job to cater to every single person at every single restaurant. There are at least a dozen places to get food in MK. If your child can't find something they like at one of those places, what do the possibly find to eat at home?
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

There was a time that my kids would only eat from the four kid food groups, chicken nuggets, pizza, hot dogs and mac n' cheese. As they got older and more adventurous, they wanted to order off the adult menu, but that was too much food. I let them order an appetizer for their entrée or we share an entrée with them.
A good option at WDW is EPCOT. All of the restaurants in World Showcase have children's menus with foods from that country.

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

1) I think you have a good orientation here into the reasons.
2) The basic cause is parents.
3) Disney serves what sells.
4) If parents wanted better food, WDW would oblige (for a cost).
5) We only have ourselves to blame.
6) Like the comic strip Pogo says: "we have met the enemy, and it is us"

{FLAME PROOF SUIT IN PLACE}
NOTE: Just to get on my High Horse for a moment and do personal opinion.
Too many parents allow "picky eaters" in the kids. I am not talking about
those cases of physical/mental conditions where kids can't/won't tolerate
anything but plain food. I am talking about average & normal kids that
dictate their menus to the parents. For a while we had such a child.
We got to a point where we put out food, and if it wasn't eaten, kids
went hungry until breakfast. As adults, they now eat lots of foods.

{FLAME PROOF SUIT BACK ON SHELF}
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto
While I agree that the kids menus were pretty abysmal, they are definitely changing for the better.
As others have pointed out, it's a no win situation for Disney because we have one group lobbying for healthy and more varied kids choices, while we see another who is outraged at Jr. not having pizza, nuggets, and hot dogs within 15 ft of their little finger tips at all times.

I have what some would characterize as a picky eater. He can't stand sauces or things mixed together etc. However, that doesn't mean he wants processed junk all the time. The choices seem to be getting fresher and more healthy so for that I am grateful.
Agree with this. Places get so much backlash for offering healthy foods. Heaven forbid kids eat more than french fries and hotdogs.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine

Lol. So true!
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

It seems like this is a lose-lose situation for Disney. Many parents desire healthier options for their kids, especially at CS restaurants. But just as many others seem to think that nuggets and mac-n-cheese are the only things kids will eat. When Disney offers meals that please one group, the other complains. Apparently Disney does not think it is possible or desirable to offer a variety of options at each restaurant, so everyone is happy.

I do have some pretty strong opinions about parenting and picky eaters, but since I'm not a parent myself and this is a public forum I will try to stick to Thumper's father's advice

As for what wilkeliza mentioned about the WS...I cannot for the life of me understand WHY any US citizen would want to eat at the American Adventure pavilion at Epcot. There are 10 other cuisines represented, and you can't bear to be the tiniest bit adventurous?! All the offerings at the other pavilions are Americanized anyway, so you're unlikely to positively hate anything you try. I just can't imagine passing up a chance to try Moroccan, Japanese, or German food to have a burger. Heck, I'd even eat the food court-style Chinese if that was the only other option. I just don't understand some people's limited palates.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minushka72 View Post
I think parents need more choices of regular food for their kids. I really don't think all these parents are making different meals for the kids at home like short order cooks!
You'd be surprised then. I know my Mom made a different thing for everyone until she stopped cooking altogether. Now...I will say that some of those things were justified. Some foods literally make me gag (ie. ground beef...the smell...the texture...the taste...I can't do it - but I learned to make my own food at an early age). But by the time she got to her 6th child, she stopped trying, so I have a 15 year old brother who eats pizza morning, noon, and night to the point that if any of the rest of us want to "share" his pizza, we're not allowed. I have to struggle to get him to let my 2 year old have one piece, so I don't have to cook something separate or an entirely other pizza.
I have no doubt that he simply chooses not to eat other things. (I convinced him to go on a trip to London with our Dad over the summer, and it will be interesting to see if he eats at all when he can't find pizza every 100 meters)

I got lucky with my little guy. He's an exceptional eater for a 2 year old BUT he will only eat well if he sees us eating the same thing at the same time. This has been a struggle for me, due to my own issues, but he ate really well at Disney. Usually we gave him something off our plate. The best he ate was part of my steak at Be Our Guest. I actually ordered kid's meals for him only when I wanted the fries, because I knew the "sides" with kids meals came as a package deal, and in smaller portions. I'd order my entree separately, eat his fries, and he would have his entree and the grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach View Post
I understand why Disney serves those picky eaters (we have one in our house) but I don't understand why every restaurant does not have both options. I think that they should have mac and cheese, grilled cheese and nuggets but also fish options, chicken dishes and grilled meats. To me this would be the best of both worlds. I am glad to see some making the switch to include both options and I am sure with some planning you could find restaurants with more options.
Expense.
If they offered 6 different things on every kids menu, it would be more difficult to anticipate for ordering purposes. If they simply dropped one of the "staples" and replaced it for something less ordinary, then they'd very likely drop the one thing that little Johnny would eat.

Also, I can understand not wanting to fight with your child on vacation. If every meal is a battle, and you're already exhausted at Disney, then sometimes it's easier just to give in. Maybe that's counter productive, but vacationing with kids is hard, and sometimes it's a matter of choosing your battles.

The content of the kid's menus is definitely another reason why I doubt we'll do the dining plan again in the future. We already "saved" close to $500 on our last trip by paying out of pocket, and that's a tough gap to cross, especially when considering how restrictive the plan is.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Well, Disney can't get rid of all that crappy food because so many kids eat only that!

I think Disney has made significant strides in offering better choices for kids who do eat regular food as opposed to fast and fatty foods! You see now offered for kids in the kids meals, steak, veggies, grilled fish, grilled chicken, pasta's, turkey sandwiches, even tuna, and meatloaf!

I think finding those solutions entails doing a little research on-line of the various rest. menus and planning where to eat!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #30
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Our last trip to WDW, we got the free dining plan (first time we've ever used one of those.....and our last, as well). Our son.....9 at the time.....was vastly underwhelmed by his choices.
metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: