Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
KateMW
DIS Veteran

3mo. old on our first cruise...

So, we have a cruise planned for next Spring Break {March 2014}. We just found out that I'm pregnant, due in early December. Help me out here...should I try to cancel? We are concierge level, though I bought travel insurance that I think includes a "cancel for whatever reason" reason, so our room is slightly larger than normal, but it's not a suite. Where am I going to put a baby, a 9 year old daughter and the two of us? I'm kind of lost! DD is looking forward to this and has been for months so far, so if I can figure out how to make it work I want too.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMW View Post
So, we have a cruise planned for next Spring Break {March 2014}. We just found out that I'm pregnant, due in early December. Help me out here...should I try to cancel? We are concierge level, though I bought travel insurance that I think includes a "cancel for whatever reason" reason, so our room is slightly larger than normal, but it's not a suite. Where am I going to put a baby, a 9 year old daughter and the two of us? I'm kind of lost! DD is looking forward to this and has been for months so far, so if I can figure out how to make it work I want too.
People sail with two kids all the time, and not in concierge. We're boarding the Wonder in two weeks with a kid and a baby who is still in a crib, and we're not even in a family-size Cat 4, much less a Cat V or a suite. What exactly are you asking? What is making you think you should cancel? I'm not immediately seeing what your concerns are so being specific might help us to help you make a decision.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

The infant will need to be 12 weeks to sail.
There's room to put a pak 'n play next to the couch or in front of the couch.
You will need to see if you can add the baby to your reservation, there needs to be room in the nursery (even if won't be using it) and there needs to be room in your lifeboat station to add a 4th person. Plus, you will be paying 50% of the 4th person rate for the infant.

Only you and your family can determine if you should keep your reservation, cancel or move it to a date further out.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Personally I wouldn't take a 3mo on a cruise. There are too many unknowns those first few weeks. I'm not opposed to cruising with a child. We're heading out with our 15mo this week on a Disney cruise. But I was barely ready to travel to my SILs wedding at 12 wks where I had access to tons of support. Every family and baby is different but I am a little confused by your focus on space when there are so many other challenges which occur when traveling with an infant.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
neg58
DIS Veteran

I believe you can move a concierge room without losing the rate and OBCs. I think I'd move it to the fall when the new baby is older.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
flybabies
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMW View Post
I have literally traveled the world - alone and with my two children in tow. My advice is to go for it. A 3 month old is a lot more portable and easier to travel with than a toddler, in my opinion. You're kind-of at a sweet spot considering that at 3 months old, they are just eating, hanging out a little, and sleeping.

Of course, this is all assuming the baby is a normal, healthy 3 month old with no medical issues, etc.

Disney is great about setting up portable cribs and taking them down for you in your stateroom, so don't worry about having to haul that with you.
flybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
3mmm
Mouseketeer

My advice: add the baby now...baby smith or whatever because you could get blocked out especially on a spring break cruise. Then go for it. We took our six month old on the med cruise...he was the easiest of the five and far easier than he was on our recent Western cruise. I would have your daughter on the top bunk and then use the pack and play. That will leave you plenty of room to move around. Enjoy

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm View Post
My advice: add the baby now...baby smith or whatever because you could get blocked out especially on a spring break cruise. Then go for it. We took our six month old on the med cruise...he was the easiest of the five and far easier than he was on our recent Western cruise. I would have your daughter on the top bunk and then use the pack and play. That will leave you plenty of room to move around. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I would go. My son was a doll when he sailed at 5 months. Sailing at 21 months was another story. We are waiting until he is 3 1/2 before we go again. We had a deluxe family ocean view when he was 5 months old, and I thought the space was fine. If you are in a Concierge room, you will have plenty of space.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Oh, and Congratulations on your pregnancy.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I'd definitely still go. Travelling with a baby that young is so much easier than travelling with a toddler, as another poster had mentioned. All they do is eat, sleep, and poop!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto
I'd definitely still go. Travelling with a baby that young is so much easier than travelling with a toddler, as another poster had mentioned. All they do is eat, sleep, and poop!
Our parents took us to WDW when we were infant s. We would watch the videos over n over when we were lil. That was when the Kitchen sang like the Andrews Sisters. Anyway our family has a long Disney tradition that started when we were all very small. I guess that's why being together at MK last week n on their cruise for their 45th meant so much. You have to take a 3 mo old to the store n other places. Disney is just the best for families regardless of age!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
~Mandy~
Mouseketeer

Ill be traveling with a 5 month old in September and I think it'll be great. We were originally planning to go next year, but like others said, babies are easier than toddlers. I also have a six year old and we're traveling concierge as well (V). Here are a few reasons we decided to go.
1. Babies stay where you put them. No chasing a toddler around nemos reef, no running half hunched over down the hall after a toddler, he can hang in the stroller and sleep or enjoy the sights. They also don't need toys to keep them occupied in there.
2. Concierge will help with any of those incidentals that will make things easier...not sure what exactly, but its nice to know there's a "go-to" person if something is needed.
3. The nursery has perfectly age appropriate toys and will allow a much needed break here and there for DH and I to relax and also to spend an hour or two with my older DS by the pool.
4. The kids club will allow my older DS some time on his own too, to escape his baby brother.
5. You're always within walking distance of the room! No packing up and driving somewhere like other vacations. It's no biggie to go back for a diaper, a nap, to feed the baby etc. then join right back up with the family.

I'm kind of rambling here, but hopefully you get the idea. If you want to pm me in October Ill be happy to share how things really went! Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!!

2006 - Springhill Suites
2009 & 2010 - Floridays
2011 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
2012 - DCL Fantasy (Eastern)
2013 - DCL Fantasy (Western)
~Mandy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Congratulations. You'll have plenty of room. I've traveled with a newborn and it's fairly easy. I'd be more concerned about the timing since the baby will have to be at least 12 weeks to sail. Sounds like you are cutting it close. Since you have great travel insurance coverage I'd add the baby now and see how things go. Good luck!

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
klepton
Mouseketeer

We had almost the exact same situation for our cruise in January. We decided to go forward and still take the cruise. Our son turned 4 months the day before we left. I would absolutely do it again, looking back I don't know why I even worried about it. He was very portable, was very content to sleep in his stroller while being pushed around the ship, and the nursery staff on the Magic was nothing short of phenomenal!

We had a 4A, which I believe is the same size as the concierge family rooms you've got booked. There was plenty of room for the pack 'n play in front of the murphy bed, between the couch and balcony. We had the upper bunk pulled down for our 8 year old DD, and had the couch free to sit on. Made it easy for nursing in the middle of the night and such.

I would also say to add them to the reservation now, because you might not be able to after cruising. Keep your insurance just in case, but assuming your baby is healthy and on time there's no reason not to. I'd also talk to your doctor/pediatrician about it.

A few things of note:

1) Babies can't get the flu shot until they're 6 months old. So make sure you and anyone who touches your baby washes hands religiously before and during the cruise.
2) We took our carrier with us, and used that in cabs to get to the beach. It also wound up being where DS slept every night. He developed a bit of a cold and couldn't lay flat without breathing issues, so we put him in his carrier at night and he slept like a (happy) baby. I would recommend taking the carrier with you.

The Disney ships are stroller friendly, and definitely take advantage of the nursery.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: