Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

So are all you that are buying into DVC, are you paying the 23k upfront or are you financing that too?
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Thanks for all the input. This has been very helpful. As for me, I would pay upfront to avoid the monthly bill
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblz20 View Post
So are all you that are buying into DVC, are you paying the 23k upfront or are you financing that too?
The rational answer would be that one should never finance a luxury purchase.

People, however, have quite the tendency to be irrational.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
lesabrowning
Mouseketeer

We initially purchased our DVC membership the traditional way, on land. lol But we have added points while on a cruise. The price was right and the perks were too. They made it quite simple. In typical DVC style, no hard sell... In fact, members and non members alike were lining up to get sales appointments. We had to wait several days for ours. If you are interested I suggest doing your research on what you can afford and making an appointment early in the cruise week.

lesabrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Do the deals on the cruise usually limit you to the resorts that aren't sold out (Aulani/AKV)? Or would I be able to look into BCV or BWV while on a cruise? Are the best deals reserved for the resorts they are marketing?

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

From what I have read on the DVC boards the last year or so, the cruise deals are the same deals you can get on land.

So it's very important to KNOW what deals are being offered. That way you aren't suckered into something you THINK is only available on the cruise, when actually you could have taken some time to think it over, etc.

Also, be sure you can use an onboard credit if you get it! We attended the DVC presentation because the DVC desk told us we should (to get swag, LOL). We had no intentions of buying more, what we have works just fine for us. But if we had been swayed, the OBC would have been nearly useless. We were 2 days into a 3 night cruise. Seriously, there was no chance that OBC would be fully used. Would have been pointless for us. For another family, it could be used even on the last evening. Know yourself.

You also want to know WHAT dvc is! Although we have had a few annoyances with particular rooms or resort experiences, we are very happy with our DVC experience, and have no quibbles or qualms. But we feel that we knew exactly what we were getting by buying in. I think there was one thing that I had wrong regarding our exact purchase, but DH had heard the answer the correct way and was able to help me.

For us, buying in made sense, even though we financed, because we were already spending MORE than our payments each year just going to Disneyland. We knew we were about to embark on WDW and we would be spending MORE, so it made sense, even while financing, to go the DVC route. I'm the first to admit that we thought we would have had it paid off by now, and we do not, because other parts of life got in the way, so that's a bit of a bummer, and it's worth knowing that "stuff happens" and you might spend more than you planned, if you finance with the intentions of paying off early and then don't do it.

But the most important thing is to know what DVC is, if it works for you, if you WANT it, and what the deals are going straight through DVC (also if you WANT to buy through DVC vs a resale situation! so know the difference between resale and direct purchases). That way you won't feel the pressure of an immediate sale and won't buy something that doesn't make sense for you.

But definitely GO to the presentations. They give fun stuff!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Last Feb, I can't remember what the special was (there was $ off points) but do remember they were also giving out $500 credit and $500 OBC. But they would also apply the $500 OBC towards the DVC purchase (ie $1000 off). I think this was for 160 points. Higher credit for higher points...
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptwolfman View Post
We are considering becoming new members of DVC while aboard the Fantasy. Has anyone done this? Are there perks that aren't offered if we were to join on land? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

I just got off the Fantasy and started a conversation with the DVC rep while I was waiting for the next available CM to book my next cruise. He mentioned that a lot of people will purchase or add on points while on the cruise because the deals are better than in WDW.
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
Mr&MrsMouse
Mouseketeer

DVC Member

Hi I suggest you attend a DVC gathering on board. You can get meet other members and ask questions. We purchased are first home resort in 1998 at Old Key West. We have added on several times since, on board and on property. No pressure to purchase. One of the best ways we have ever spent our money. Have fun on you cruise our next is in June to Alaska. Michelle
Mr&MrsMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post

The rational answer would be that one should never finance a luxury purchase.

People, however, have quite the tendency to be irrational.
People finance cars and homes all the time...those could be considered luxury depending on the type...

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
JanDave
DIS Veteran

While on board the Magic last November, the DVC rep brought up buying resale through DVC. We bought our 3rd contract - 100 DVC resale points. Less $$$ and same perks as if buying new points from DVC. If buying resale from outside vendor, restrictions apply.
6/29/03; 6/16/05; 10/20/07; 9/14/08; B2B 11/18/10 and 11/21/10

DREAM Cruise: 6/20/12
Upcoming Cruises:
Wonder - 4/27/14; Fantasy - 11/1/14
JanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #27
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Is there a minimum number of points that you can add on to your existing membership whilst on a cruise?

I'm sure that any perks and discounts only kick in at a certain purchase level but can you buy a small add on or is there a minimum?
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #28
ChristinaDK
Just like we dreeeeeaaaamm it

What are the prices for be a part of DVC? The smallest amount of money

ChristinaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
keaster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDave View Post
While on board the Magic last November, the DVC rep brought up buying resale through DVC. We bought our 3rd contract - 100 DVC resale points. Less $$$ and same perks as if buying new points from DVC. If buying resale from outside vendor, restrictions apply.
Just so you know...you are NEVER buying resale if buying from DVC, you are buying direct.

What happens is they reacquire points through the ROFR process and resell them as new contracts.

Seems that some guides are trying to change up the terminology to make it seem like you are buying resale without the resale restrictions if you buy from DVC.

-----------------------
DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012, AKL Kidani - August 2012, BLT - March 2013, SSR Treehouse - August 2013, AKL Kidani - March 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: