Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Buying into DVC while on a cruise

We are considering becoming new members of DVC while aboard the Fantasy. Has anyone done this? Are there perks that aren't offered if we were to join on land? Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

I don't know about that, but I do know I love DVC!! Enjoy!

carissa1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

Usually the deals are better than on land and depending on how much you buy, you may get OBC, or some sort of bonus.

I haven't bought while on a cruise, but I did go to the DVC member meeting on my Fantasy cruise last April and I seem to recall the OBC you get starting at 120 points and going up from there.

Again, that was a year ago, so the incentives have most likely changed and you won't see the same, but it should give you an idea of what to expect if they keep the same pattern.

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
KKKKCS
Earning My Ears

We bought into DVC on the Wonder in 2008. We got a very nice on board credit, $10 off per point, and double points the first year. The incentives do seem to be better at sea.

"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom."
John Adams
KKKKCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
ppony
Artist in residence

When we bought in '09, we bought on land at WDW but our guide waited to make it official until after our cruise we were taking immediately from there in case there was a better deal there as they don't know what is offered on the ships. Turns out the ship was offering was not quite as good as our land one but they did have a small tote bag. Unless things have changed, the guides have said sometimes the deals are better, sometimes not and they don't know what is offered on ships if you ask them. Best to check both out.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We have found that definitely the deals onboard are better than what is offered on land. Our advice is go to one of the EARLY DVC presentations and then book to speak to them quickly. The longer you wait, the longer you will wait for your appointment.
And, be sure to name one of your friends as your referral...if you name a DVC member as a referral (they don't have to be on your cruise), they will get a referral bonus (I think its $200, which is awesome!).
We bought our first contracts on land, but then added on points on our first cruise cuz the deals were so great!
Good luck, and ask any questions about DVC! I am always happy to talk DVC.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

I'm also thinking about buying in on my June cruise, but I'm stuck on the question "Will I still want to go on Disney vacations when the kids are grown and moved out?"

I tend to lean toward "no" but then I read about how it pays for itself in 8-10 years anyway, so I start thinking about buying in and then having the option to resell it down the road. I might pop into the presentation on my cruise and ask exactly that question, but I'm not sure I'll get a straight answer from people who earn a commission on selling memberships.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
RonningFamilyCrusin
Earning My Ears

To the uninitiated please explain what DVC is and what benefits one might receive. Does it apply to cruises and land vacations. At home and abroad. Details or a link where one might read up. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonningFamilyCrusin View Post
To the uninitiated please explain what DVC is and what benefits one might receive. Does it apply to cruises and land vacations. At home and abroad. Details or a link where one might read up. Thanks in advance.
I was reading this thread and thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for asking!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

http://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/

It is similar to a timeshare in many ways in that you "purchase" an interest in a resort (e.g. Aulani, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Villas, etc.) What you are buying is actually just a yearly allotment of points that you can redeem for lodging. It is unlike a timeshare in that it expires 60 some-odd years after the particular resort you are buying interest in was opened for sale.

You pay for the points up-front and then have a yearly maintenance fee on those points. The advantage is that, if you vacation with Disney a lot, you can save a lot of money in the long run. There are lots of ancillary factors like buying direct from Disney vs. resale, the economy of using points for things outside DVC resorts (like DCL), renting points, how often you want to visit a Disney resort, banking and borrowing points from year to year, etc.

DIS has a good FAQ at http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
http://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/

It is similar to a timeshare in many ways in that you "purchase" an interest in a resort (e.g. Aulani, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Villas, etc.) What you are buying is actually just a yearly allotment of points that you can redeem for lodging. It is unlike a timeshare in that it expires 60 some-odd years after the particular resort you are buying interest in was opened for sale.

You pay for the points up-front and then have a yearly maintenance fee on those points. The advantage is that, if you vacation with Disney a lot, you can save a lot of money in the long run. There are lots of ancillary factors like buying direct from Disney vs. resale, the economy of using points for things outside DVC resorts (like DCL), renting points, how often you want to visit a Disney resort, banking and borrowing points from year to year, etc.

DIS has a good FAQ at http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml
We totally plan on keeping our DVC until it expires...there are so many things to do besides the parks! Don't forget the RCI. Once the kids are grown, you can travel around the world! Personally, I plan on traveling to Disney as long as I can.

carissa1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
I'm also thinking about buying in on my June cruise, but I'm stuck on the question "Will I still want to go on Disney vacations when the kids are grown and moved out?"

I tend to lean toward "no" but then I read about how it pays for itself in 8-10 years anyway, so I start thinking about buying in and then having the option to resell it down the road. I might pop into the presentation on my cruise and ask exactly that question, but I'm not sure I'll get a straight answer from people who earn a commission on selling memberships.
Just in case you are not aware DVC can be used outside of Disney properties. We used in at a hotel in NYC and a resort on the big islandin HI. Best investment we ever made.
We have purchased points 4 times on different crusies because the price per point they were offering was lower than on land also a few additional bonuses.
There are variing opinions about using points for DCL. We used them any time we can. For us it eliminates saving up for the trip and we can opt not to go to WDW for a year to take a long cruise.
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
No cruises planned for 2014
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
ludari
DIS Veteran

As a DVC member and someone who has attended several member meetings onboard the ship I will confirm that "yes" you receive better perks if you purchase while onboard the ship. Sometimes the prices per point are a little better or they open up options to purchase points at a resorts that sold out. They have also offered $500 shipboard credit and pastpasses at parks as a bonus. If I was ever going to purchase more points I would do it while on a cruise. I have never regretted purchasing DVC.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
klepton
Mouseketeer

Yes, deals on the ships are usually a little better than what you get on land, if purchasing direct from Disney. When we went in Jan, you got $7 per point discount and $1000 either off the purchase price or as OBC.

Do yourself a favor and do a lot of research in DVC before you go on your cruise, and have a good idea of what you want. There are DVC boards here on DisBoards where you can ask questions and such. In my case, I didn't do any research beforehand, bought onboard, and then did research afterwards and ended up rescinding within my 10 day window. I'm not saying DVC is bad by any stretch, but it wasn't all it was talked up to be by the salesperson either. There is also a very vibrant reseller market for DVC, you can buy points about half the cost of buying through Disney directly. This has disadvantages, like not being able to use the points on cruises, but might be an option to consider.

Something else to know is that you can rent points from others, without making the commitment to pay maintenance fees for 40-50 years.

Also, realize that a great many people are extremely happy with their DVC purchase, which bodes well. However, many of those people bought in when points were *significantly* cheaper than they are today. Run your own numbers, consider your vacation habits, and see if it makes sense for you at today's prices.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

A lot of great advice everyone. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: