Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Sony Dsc Hx30v

Can anyone tell me why this was discontinued? Sorry if this has been discussed already somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything. I was looking for a new camera that does video and stills at the same time for a decent point and shoot (have a dslr, but wanted something a little more compact and convenient) I ha decided on this one but didn't end up getting it before our trip in December and now that looking again, I see it is discontinued. Is the 20v still good?
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I don't know the specific reason that the camera was discontinued, other than it was probably replaced by a new model. The manufacturers introduce new compact cameras like I change my socks. If you are looking for something similar to this camera then I would do a comparison using the comparison tool at dpreview.com. I believe Sony has introduced at least six new compact cameras in 2013.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Just the end of the model year.

This week, Sony is announcing the 30x zoom HX50:
http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...camera-1146444

Most interesting is full PASM modes (the Hx30 only had P&M)
It will be interesting to see if there is any IQ advantage with the new, even crazier 20MP sensor. Early user reviews of that sensor in the HX300 seem to be slightly negative.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
hakepb
DIS Veteran

More specs:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04...-wi-fi-and-gps
And it has a hot shoe and can accept an EFV, Flash or external mic
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Wow! Thanks for the info! Technology changes so fast I have a hard time keeping up with what I really want/need (and what is more camera than I will use). I really just want the ability to do video and stills at the same time, with a decent range (of course for Disney trips - up close at the table at character meals without having to stand up and move all the way back across the room to fit everyone in! And then still being able to zoom and get a decent picture that's not too dark or grainy). And of course, I'm spoiled by the speed of my dslr, so I always hate how slow point and shoot cameras were before. And I was going for the 30v over the 20v because I did like the wifi (I only recently got into sharing photos via social networks, so I could live without it, but thought it was a cool feature). But it looks like I waited too long. I was just concerned that there was something wrong with it that caused them to discontinue it (and that might also mean I should stay away from the 20v). But it sounds like just newer models taking over. I will look into the other models you mentioned. Or any other suggestions anyone has that will still give me the features I want? (I'm not particularly partial to Sony; it was just that when I was looking into cameras last year, this one seemed to fit what I was looking for and was most recommended to me at the time for cost/features)
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

NP. The HX50 was just a rumor last week that became official minutes before my post

I believe an HX20 with an EyeFi memory card would have identical wifi functionality as the HX30.

A more basic (photographic control) camera than the HX20 is the new, slimmero WX300. It has wifi, but no 1080 60p video (the HX needs to be shooting 60i video to take stills at the same time) and no P or M modes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: