Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Fivemuggles
Mouseketeer

Help me eliminate one!

Ok, probably going to be moving our trip dates up 2 weeks, for several reasons (Parks open later, better timing for DH, it's SOONER ect... )

It's well past the 180 days, but was able to get every ADR I wanted, even BOG today randomly! Wahoo!

Counting on FD to be announced, so I am doing one TS a day - but I need to eliminate one!! (And replace with the CS we won't be using on our departure day)

Arrival day: Raglan Road 8:30

MK: 1900 Park Fare - 7:15

HS: 50's primetime - 1:35 (lunch)

AK: 'Ohana - 7:10

Ep: Akershus - 6:40

HS: Sci-Fi - 8:15

EP: Coral Reef - 8:50 (This is the one I am considering dropping, since Epcot has lots of CS choices- but it looks really cool!)

MK: BOG - 8:45

Departure Day: 'Ohana b'kfast - 8:45
Fivemuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

I would pay OOP for Sci-Fi or drop it. It's not a good value on the dining plan.
Keep Coral Reef, regardless of some of the bad reviews, it is cool and the food is good.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I'd drop 1900-the dinner was our worst meal of our stay on our last trip-truly awful.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

I would agree to either drop Sci Fi and pay OOP (and use the extra CS for breakfast or something) or drop Coral Reef. My experience at Coral Reef was far from poor, but you're right that Epcot has a lot of different, delicious options, many of which are CS.

I actually agree also with meredith1 also - I went to 1900 PF and vowed never to go back; however, my visit there was a few years ago, and it seems to be getting slightly better reviews. I wonder if Chef TJ has had a positive influence on the variety/quality of food being offered? In any event, it's made me reconsider my boycott.

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1 View Post
I'd drop 1900-the dinner was our worst meal of our stay on our last trip-truly awful.
I agree 100%. The meal at 1900 PF was miserable. The biggest dining regret I have had yet. The food was not good. The stepsisters and Lady Tremaine were great, but it took forever for them to rotate around the room. We were there for an hour and not 1 of the 5 characters had made it over to our area by the time we left. It was weird too because the servers were all standing around watching everyone - very bizarre. Not a very welcoming place. Never again! So disappointed.

We love Raglan Road. Sci-Fi was great - a nice break from the crowds, dark, quiet, food was okay (better than some other places we have been). Every time we have gone to 50's we have enjoyed it and the food. I have heard rave reviews about both 'Ohana and Akerhaus, although I have never been. 'Ohana is on our list for the next trip......

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Fivemuggles
Mouseketeer

Awwww man- we LOVE 1900! Last time we went, almost 4 yrs ago, it was our very favorite!

And sci-fi is the only one my 13yr old son requested so I can't cut it haha! Really don't want to pay OOP, if we can avoid it!

This is tough!
Fivemuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
mouserrificmom
Mouseketeer

Gosh it's so funny how experiences can be so different! We love 1900 park Fare - it is a 'must do' for at least while the girls are still infatuated with the princesses. I've always enjoyed our meals there, and would visit for just the strawberry soup, my very favorite Disney dessert!!!

Of the ones you list, Sci-Fi is our least favorite, and not one we'd choose to go to again. It's 'cute' and kitschy but we were underwhelmed by the food and the atmosphere.

Coral reef is great!! We loved it, but would probably do it 'just the two of us' for a parents night out rather than with the kids.

Glad you scored that BOG!! We can't wait for our visit there in September

Happy eating!
mouserrificmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
cheshirecatattack
Mouseketeer

I agree with the posters who have said to keep Sci-Fi and just pay out of pocket. Sci-Fi isn't a good value on the dining plan, but he atmosphere is really fun. If you make your decision based on food, i would drop 1900 PF. We ate there in Oct and while the character interaction was wonderful, I found the buffet to be disappointing in comparison with other buffets I've been to on property (JMO) but it may be a different experience for your family. Enjoy planning, in the end you're in Disney, so have fun!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Ariel Wanna-be
Loves Orlando Bloom so much that, If she was still single and fancy-free, she'd be so tempted to stalk her Elf Boy!!
I have to match.. inside and out!!
Loved for the quirks thread

Coral Reef. Completely overpriced and overrated.

There's nothing hotter than Orlando Bloom wielding some sort of weapon.
Ariel Wanna-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

O'hana breakfast.

Dinner with show & fireworks are superior to breakfast.

Beach may be best view of fireworks.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Unlike PPs, I think you should probably hold onto Sci-fi. I noticed you're counting on free dining. What if it isn't offered? You may want to keep the cheaper restaurants just in case. If you do happen to get FD, you won't need to be concerned about DDP value anyway.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
luvformickey
Earning My Ears

I'd skip the O'hana breakfast and eat at the CS in the Poly. They have Tonga toast there (although it doesn't come with a side of meat, but the portion of toast is huge!). I much prefer to have my TS dinners in the evening. It's nice after a long day to sit and relax over dinner and discuss the days events and what we want to do the next day.
luvformickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I would drop Sci-fi. Ate there once and hated and we just thought it was an off day so we gave it another shot and NOPE, still didn't like it. That is just my choice out of your list. The others are great, but I have never been to the Norway restaurant.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
freckles04
DIS Veteran

I'd drop Coral Reef, just from personal experience.
freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

We love Sci-Fi, from our personal experience.
Coral Reef is for adults and kids, but it is nice for your kids to experience going under the water and seeing all the fish.
Ohana has a nice Hawaiian feeling if you want that.

So...it depends.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: