Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

5 adults. Does the QSDP ever make sense?

Anyone think the QSDP can be a money saver for adults???? I am planning a trip for next spring. There will be 5 adults in 2 seperate rooms, so we could get any DDP for one, two or NO rooms. We almost NEVER buy a DDP anymore. Used to like the QSDP until they raised the price and lowered the snacks......I am paying for the trip and would like the adult kids to order what they want. We will mostly be together for meals, but there may be a few we are not. We will most likely do only two TS meals since DD and her boyfriend are only coming for 5 days and he has never been,so dont want to spend a lot of time in restaurants. Long explanation, I know but I just did a trip with DH where the regular DDP saved us a lot of money because we did all expensive character meals at peak pricing, so I know that SOMETIMES a ddp can be a money saver. TIA
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Yes, it can. If you do two counter service meals a day plus 1 snack per person every day, and always order a non-alcoholic drink, appetizer, and dessert with every meal, then it will work out. The savings will probably be approximately $2 per person, per day. Whether that's worth the trouble of the QSDP, that's up to you.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

It's nice to have the DDP. We have used it several times. It just nice not to have to worry about paying for it when you get there.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Well there are no appetizers with the QSDP (or regular ddp for that matter), but we will definitely use all entitlements.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Not sure what you mean by "make sense." Are you more concerned with saving money or basically on whether it's an enjoyable addition to your vacation?

If you're really more interested in saving money it works out if:

The refillable mug means a lot to you and you will either use it or you will value it as a souvenir.
Your party likes to each order their own meal (no sharing) including dessert and a beverage other than water.
You don't use the QS credits for breakfast.

Even if you meet all these criteria it will probably not save you much money. But as some of the posters say, it can be nice to have, even if it loses a little money.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Yes, it can. If you do two counter service meals a day plus 1 snack per person every day, and always order a non-alcoholic drink, appetizer, and dessert with every meal, then it will work out. The savings will probably be approximately $2 per person, per day. Whether that's worth the trouble of the QSDP, that's up to you.
Hey you better fix your post switfly regarding the appetizer before some other jump on this like they did on soem of the other dining posts of yours.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Jonathan Swift

Nah. I'm providing an example on how it can save money, so I think they'll give me a pass on that mistake.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Nah. I'm providing an example on how it can save money, so I think they'll give me a pass on that mistake.
Well if they do, I'm not coming to your defense!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
briannesmom
Definitely not the kind of shot I would want to do
How does Tico the squirrel drive a car?
I won't be hitting the bottle much tonight

The QSDP worked out really well for us on our Easter trip this year. When I ran the numbers before we went it looked like we would about break even. On the long car ride home I added up what we actually ordered and we ended up saving about $130 over a 7 night stay for 2 adults and one child.

It may work out well for you in a convenience sense if you still want to be able to pay for every ones meals even when you aren't dining together. They would be able to order what they want and just swipe their card and use a QS credit.
briannesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I think I am going to have to do a lot of math. It may make financial sense only if we do the most expensive cs...although, I could get it for one room and not the other and just use ddp credits for the most expensive meals. One DD and I only drink water, but another loves those expensive coffee drinks, etc. Yup, definitely a lot of math
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I haven't used QSDP yet ( I may in Sept) but Im sure it does, I know that the CS meals for 2 adults and 2 teens were anywhere from $40 to $65 per meal so yea I think youll make your money back! That's not even counting the snacks and the refillable mug which will save you if your coffee/soda drinkers!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
but Im sure it does, I know that the CS meals for 2 adults and 2 teens were anywhere from $40 to $65 per meal so yea I think youll make your money back!
You maybe make your money back at $65.00 per meal. No way at $40. Do the math.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Jonathan Swift

The problem with the plan is that you're "forced" to do two counter service meals (including dessert and beverage) and a snack every day. If you don't the savings begin to evaporate. You don't get a lot of leeway on the definition of snack, either. A 20 oz bottle of soda or an ice cream bar is a snack, but a corn dog is not. It doesn't matter the relative cost. (In fact a single corn dog will count as a CS meal!)

In the past, unofficially, you could usually use table service or quick service credits for snacks. However, this is explicitly prohibited in the 2013 rules. You also can't use two quick service credits for a table service. In short, you REALLY need to be sure of you dining plans before you go.

If you end up not using all your snack credits, you can use it to buy candy in the shops. You're not just limited to the carts. I hope they haven't closed this loophole in 2013, too.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No, they haven't. You can buy candy in the shops. But it must be a single serving size, they won't sell you a "family size" bag of candy for a snack credit.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Well, just saw on Allears that the price is now $37.58 per day per adult, so even at $65 per cs for 4 adults you may just break even. You are paying $150.32 per day... 2 cs at $65 each =$130 plus 4 snacks at the high end of $5 each = $150. I'm still doing the math for my group but it doesn't look good for qsdp.............

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: