DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
studog100
Mouseketeer

Isn't the remaining life of HH or VB less than lets say SSR?
New Orleans Saints #1
------------------------------------------------
DHDWDD(13) DS(10)
DVC Members & WDW Annual Passholders

Completed

2010 Xmas at Bay Lake
2009 Xmas at Wilderness Lodge
2008 Xmas at Saratoga Springs
2007 Thanksgiving/Xmas at Saratoga Springs
2006 Xmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2005 Xmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2005 Port Orleans Riverside/Beach Club Villas
2004 Old Key West
2003 Old Key West
2002 Orange Lake Country Club
2000 All Star Music
1997 Delta Orlando Resort
1995 Delta Orlando Resort
studog100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by studog100 View Post
Isn't the remaining life of HH or VB less than lets say SSR?
true.

HHI and VB expire in 2042.

SSR expires in 2054.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

The MF are enough of a reason for me, it ends up negating any initial savings (and then some depending on the volume of points). We love Vero and would love to have points there for the 11 m advantage and ability to book a cottage. Realistically that won't happen on a regular or even semi regular basis for probably a decade. I see no reason to pay significantly higher MF's for an advantage I won't need, and lose a booking advantage may need elsewhere in the meantime.

In 10 years if we still think we will then be wanting to go to Vero annually...I'll buy there, enjoy it for the then 20 years left on it, and maybe sell one of the other contracts. We were very tempted, until I mapped out the MF cost over time.

Made the decision easy.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
kenspidey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLCH View Post

I cannot see ANY rationale for financing a timeshare ever.
Yea .... But finance them they do ...ask Disney ... A majority of Direct Buyers finance... I see Vero as a rational choice for people with little available cash but have an income to support the MF. Of course if you want to stay there all the better.
kenspidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyseven View Post
well i spoke to dvc guy today and only AKL or Aulani are open for points right now. 145.00 per point.
Our first choice was BWV but he said it doesn't matter where we stay we don't ever have to stay at AKL we can stay anywhere once we own the points.
So, at 7 month mark we would probably not get christmas at our resort of choice either I am guessing.....so it does matter where your home resort is.
I just want to make sure you have the correct information. Your salesperson was misleading you in an attempt to secure a better commission for themselves. You can buy ANY of the resorts through Disney.

And as others pointed out, if you want to save about half, you can also buy a contract on the resale market.

Please don't make any decision based strictly off of what a timeshare salesperson says (and don't me started on the "guide" thing, they're salespeople, nothing more).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am wondering why wouldn't it make sense to just purchase points (resale) at Vero Beach or HH which are like 40-55 dollars per point instead of say 70-100 a point for other resorts. I mean if once you get the points you can stay anywhere you want then why not buy the cheapest price per point? What am i missing.
Even old key west is cheaper than AKL.
help....
In my opinion if that strategy worked DVC would not have been able to sell BLT.

if you want to go mostly to WDW, your home resort needs to be there!
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I am wondering why wouldn't it make sense to just purchase points (resale) at Vero Beach or HH which are like 40-55 dollars per point instead of say 70-100 a point for other resorts. I mean if once you get the points you can stay anywhere you want then why not buy the cheapest price per point? What am i missing.
Even old key west is cheaper than AKL.
help....
If it made sense, VB would be sold out and have a huge waiting list because everyone would be buying there.

Thousands have purchased at their favorite resorts even with a shorter contract termination date to obtain the 11 month booking advantage there.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusafee1183 View Post
I totally agree. I am finding it very difficult to try to book a solid week everywhere except SSR (and sometimes even there...) after 7 months out. At least without waitlisting.
I find this extremely surprising. For several months, I was tracking availability for a full week rental at every resort and room type on a weekly basis at the 7 month mark. My work schedule changed and I stopped doing it, but in tracking weeks from mid-June through September, you could always get multiple room types for an entire week at ANY resort at the 7 month mark. Admittedly, this was within a day or so of the 7 month mark, so maybe you have to act relatively fast, but I was purposely NOT checking at the stroke of 8 am, giving a little time for a mad dash to subside.

I recognize that these are perhaps among the least difficult times to get reservations, but that is really my larger point: whether you need the 11-month window is ENTIRELY dependent on where you want to stay, what time of year, and what room type (as well as how long, but I'm assuming a full week). For example, in the 15 week period I checked, if you needed a 2 BR villa for a week, you could have reserved that at ANY WDW resort for ANY of those weeks, with one exception: 3 out of the 15 weeks at Beach Club (for 2 of those weeks, 6 nights were available).

On the other hand, there were certain specific room types/views that were never or very rarely available for a full week at 7 months out (e.g., 2BR club or value at Jambo, BLT standard for any room type).

So the bottom line is that it really depends on when you go, where you go, and what type of room. It is certainly not generally the case that you can't get a room anywhere but SSR 7 months out, but in a shorter timeframe, or at a particularly busy week, or a very popular room type, that could be the case. For my situation, we are relatively flexible in our travel schedule and don't have a preference for one resort (in fact we want to try many if not all WDW resorts). Buying the best value was what made sense for us, and at the time, we deemed that to be SSR resale.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I find this extremely surprising. For several months, I was tracking availability for a full week rental at every resort and room type on a weekly basis at the 7 month mark. My work schedule changed and I stopped doing it, but in tracking weeks from mid-June through September, you could always get multiple room types for an entire week at ANY resort at the 7 month mark. Admittedly, this was within a day or so of the 7 month mark, so maybe you have to act relatively fast, but I was purposely NOT checking at the stroke of 8 am, giving a little time for a mad dash to subside.

I recognize that these are perhaps among the least difficult times to get reservations, but that is really my larger point: whether you need the 11-month window is ENTIRELY dependent on where you want to stay, what time of year, and what room type (as well as how long, but I'm assuming a full week). For example, in the 15 week period I checked, if you needed a 2 BR villa for a week, you could have reserved that at ANY WDW resort for ANY of those weeks, with one exception: 3 out of the 15 weeks at Beach Club (for 2 of those weeks, 6 nights were available).

On the other hand, there were certain specific room types/views that were never or very rarely available for a full week at 7 months out (e.g., 2BR club or value at Jambo, BLT standard for any room type).

So the bottom line is that it really depends on when you go, where you go, and what type of room. It is certainly not generally the case that you can't get a room anywhere but SSR 7 months out, but in a shorter timeframe, or at a particularly busy week, or a very popular room type, that could be the case. For my situation, we are relatively flexible in our travel schedule and don't have a preference for one resort (in fact we want to try many if not all WDW resorts). Buying the best value was what made sense for us, and at the time, we deemed that to be SSR resale.
That is true right at the 7 month window but I can tell you within a week of our 7 month window for late August the 2 bedrooms were fully booked even at Kidani
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I find this extremely surprising. For several months, I was tracking availability for a full week rental at every resort and room type on a weekly basis at the 7 month mark. My work schedule changed and I stopped doing it, but in tracking weeks from mid-June through September, you could always get multiple room types for an entire week at ANY resort at the 7 month mark. Admittedly, this was within a day or so of the 7 month mark, so maybe you have to act relatively fast, but I was purposely NOT checking at the stroke of 8 am, giving a little time for a mad dash to subside.....
Of course you could get something mid-June to September. Those are easier times to get something at seven months out. Summer is a spread out time.

But check out F&W, or the first week of December or anytime from early October to after the marathon. When, for some reason, people think it is going to be wide open and no one going. Disney discovered people were going in October to miss the crowds in the late 90's. We went for the first time in 1997 and went to one of the two MNSSHPs. Just two of them. There was no F&W Festival then. They did have the Festival of the Masters at DTD and they did have the golf tournament. But that was all.

Now October is hopping with halloween parties, F&W, races.

I've already seen other posts in the non-DVC boards about people wanting to go when it's not so hot, like in October or November.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Of course you could get something mid-June to September. Those are easier times to get something at seven months out.
Exactly. Consider when you want to go, where you want to go, and what type of room you'll want. That pretty much will determine whether it is worth it to buy points at a more expensive resort.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
That is true right at the 7 month window but I can tell you within a week of our 7 month window for late August the 2 bedrooms were fully booked even at Kidani
Not surprising. But anyway, if someone would otherwise be booking in the 11-month window, I would assume they are prepared at the 7 month window. So that's really the point here. Buying points at the cheapest resort, you could get any size room at any WDW resort for a complete week during the timeframe I looked at. If you are going to book after the 7 month window, then it really doesn't matter what resort your points are at anyway. Different timeframe, maybe different results (now I'm re-motivated to start up my data collection again tonight...). I forget the poster, maybe dsruba, who has more extensive data on this than I do, but everything he/she has said is consistent with my findings as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLCH View Post
I cannot see ANY rationale for financing a timeshare ever.
It's all relative. I have several friends who cannot think of any rationale for financing an auto. I've known couples who cannot believe people actually buy houses rather than renting them. Life is a wonderful amalgam of people, each of whom views love, work, religion, and, yes, finances in a totally different way.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
It's all relative. I have several friends who cannot think of any rationale for financing an auto. I've known couples who cannot believe people actually buy houses rather than renting them. Life is a wonderful amalgam of people, each of whom views love, work, religion, and, yes, finances in a totally different way.
True, but... Transportation is a necessity. Ideally one would have the money up front without needing to borrow, but if not, you don't have much choice. It's not like leasing is usually a great alternative (though it can be). And while one can rent a house, home values appreciate and can be financed with high leverage at lower rates than any other money you can borrow, and rent increases with inflation while mortgage payments are static.

A timeshare purchase is a luxury, there are nearly countless alternatives to do essentially the same thing without buying, and the value of the asset is depreciating all the way to zero. I realize that there are people who think all differently about every issue or decision, but not all are equally supported. It makes no difference to me what people do with their money, but the case against borrowing to buy a timeshare is quite strong.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
True, but... Transportation is a necessity. Ideally one would have the money up front without needing to borrow, but if not, you don't have much choice. It's not like leasing is usually a great alternative (though it can be). And while one can rent a house, home values appreciate and can be financed with high leverage at lower rates than any other money you can borrow, and rent increases with inflation while mortgage payments are static.

A timeshare purchase is a luxury, there are nearly countless alternatives to do essentially the same thing without buying, and the value of the asset is depreciating all the way to zero. I realize that there are people who think all differently about every issue or decision, but not all are equally supported. It makes no difference to me what people do with their money, but the case against borrowing to buy a timeshare is quite strong.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. My point merely was that some people are completely okay with financing. I suppose it's semantics. Certainly, it's tough to argue with paying cash for any purchase, especially a timeshare, but that is a far cry from saying there is no rationale that makes sense. Going back to the auto example, for most people outside of a major metropolitan area, they are a necessity. Yet, how many merely buy the cheapest, dependable auto there is that will serve as transportation? Conversely, how many purchase a model that has a variety of bells and whistles? Some might consider the latter an irrational buy, but it works for them even though it's likely not cost-effective. As you say, however, it makes no difference to me.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: