Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #61
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Does the school not have a handbook? I assume all policies are in it.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #62
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Does the school not have a handbook? I assume all policies are in it.
Probably not any that were changed mid year as a reaction to unforseen circumstances. The highest priority, even over the education of the kids, is ensuring their safety. If that means inconveniencing some parents, it's unfortunate, but sometimes necessary.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #63
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiejg View Post
I Besides we pay our taxes which pays the teachers salaries to do what we want in our schools not the other way around.
Police salaries are also paid from tax money.

That doesn't mean it's OK to run a red light or shoplift.

Rules exist for the greatest good of the greatest number. So my child's right to be safe from Joey's dad, the child molester, supercedes your right to tag along on a school trip.

The zoo is open all summer-- lots of opportunities for some quality family time then.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #64
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

When I was a first grade teacher the school changed the policy to what you are describing. It had to do with parents who had not been in the chaperone meeting taking matters into their own hands and not following certain school policies. Actually the first privilege to go before that was asking that siblings not accompany either a chapèrone or visiting family on the trip. We had a parent go to change a diaper and lose half of the kids she was supposedly chaperoning. Meanwhile her son was fighting with another one of the siblings and I had to intervene. Complete chaos! That was the end of it.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #65
712Alliance
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I have to say I am the extreme opposite of going along with the school, especially when it comes to my children. I believe I have final say as to what happens with my kids and take very unkindly to someone that tells me other wise. I don't understand why anyone would think someone knows what is best or could love them more than me. This particular policy isn't even about what is best for the kids but what is more convienent for the teachers. Besides we pay our taxes which pays the teachers salaries to do what we want in our schools not the other way around.
So if you get pulled over by a cop, do you get to tell him he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary and he has to do what you want? Do you march into the fire house and tell them how to operate?

The "I pay your salary" thing is just so old and silly. If you don't like the policies of public school, then there are many other options to take advantage of.

And are there really parents who are under the impression that teachers' intentions are to love the kids more than them?
712Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #66
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="712Alliance"]

So if you get pulled over by a cop, do you get to tell him he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary and he has to do what you want? Do you march into the fire house and tell them how to operate?

The "I pay your salary" thing is just so old and silly. If you don't like the policies of public school, then there are many other options to take advantage of./QUOTE]
^^^^
This. Thank you.

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #67
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Life would be so much easier for teachers and administrators if us pesky parents would just get out of their way.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I am sometimes the person at my school who makes decisions, including decisions that might upset parents or teachers.

The first thing I'll say is that the other administrators at my school, and I, put a lot of thought into the decisions we make. That isn't to say that we're always right, but we are always thoughtful, and generally have the best interest of the kids in the forefront of our minds. If someone wants to come in and discuss a decision I've made, I'm happy to have that conversation. Why knows what will happen? You might listen to my reasons and come around to my side. You might convince me to look at the situation in a different way and change my mind. We might find a third solution that works for both of us. Whatever, but it starts with approach admin as if they're intelligent partners.

As to the specifics of the zoo trip, all I have to say is this: Do you have a parent in your community you'd never trust with your kid? Maybe you've heard the way he yells at his wife and it makes your skin crawl. Maybe you've found her toddler wandering in the street one time too often. Maybe you're creeped out by the way he looks at your preteen daughter. Or maybe she's come to pick up her 5 year old with alcohol on her breath many many times. For whatever reason, you've made a decision not to let him/her be alone with your kids.

Well, that neighbor's kids go to school, and their parents chaperone too. As a teacher, I can tell you that I put a lot of thought into how I group kids and chaperones on field trip. I'll take whatever steps I need to make sure that so and so isn't alone with your kids, whether it's rigging the lottery for spots on the bus, or assigning that parent to share a group with me or with my most trustworthy assistant teacher. But on a field trip where parents can come and go freely, it's a lot harder to manage. What if that parent runs into another parent group before you see them, and offers to take a couple kids to the bathroom? And that's just one example.

That isn't to say that there might not be a solution that would make you and the school happy. Maybe if parents sign up in advance, come to the school, attend the safety presentation, and then carpool behind the bus, it can work. Maybe parents can raise money and rent a second bus. If this is really really important to you then a conversation is a good place to start. On the other hand, it's totally reasonable to decide to just live
with a polcy that you don't love.
Great post

To answer the OP's original question, yes my daughter's elementary school tried to implement a policy change that the parents complained about and the school reversed. The school told parents that we could no longer pick up our kids at the front door, we had to stand so many yards away in a certain area and wave our kids over to us. This was supposed to lessen the pick up time in the afternoon. What it did was look ridiculous, this gaggle of waving parents. Enough people complained and we are back to standing by the door chatting until our kids come out and we leave.
FTR I see nothing wrong with questioning a new school policy. Does no one do this? Do you (general) just accept everything, without question, comment or even occasional complaint?
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #68
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Background check for a Chaperone (who is a parent of one of the kids going) to go on a field trip?

That is one of the biggest wastes of tax payer money I have ever heard of. I understand background checks for those who don't have kids in the school (i.e. Teachers, Teacher's Aides, etc.), that makes sense to me, but if you have a kid on the trip, you should be able to go.

I am the type of person who would probably show up, just because they said they didn't want me to, as I would wonder why they don't want me to show up and figure that they are doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Now, factor in that this is Kindergarten and likely these kids first field trip, most parents will want to be there for that, so I think the school is way out of line here.

If they are worried about parents taking their kids elsewhere, enact a policy that if a child is missing, the police will be called immediately, no exceptions made.
There are several states that REQUIRE background checks for ANYONE who works with or has responsibility for, children during school hours. In our state, that includes parents who volunteer to be chaperones on trips. These background checks are not paid for by the school district or state. I know of no district that pays the fee for this background check, although there may be some that do. FWIW, the law also covers contractors hired by the school who may come in contact with students while completing the work they were hired to do.

Quote:
I have to say I am the extreme opposite of going along with the school, especially when it comes to my children. I believe I have final say as to what happens with my kids and take very unkindly to someone that tells me other wise. I don't understand why anyone would think someone knows what is best or could love them more than me. This particular policy isn't even about what is best for the kids but what is more convienent for the teachers. Besides we pay our taxes which pays the teachers salaries to do what we want in our schools not the other way around.
Ummm....sorry, but no...you don't pay taxes so that you can tell teachers what to do in schools. You pay taxes to provide the funds for the children in your community to be educated. You elect officials to oversee the operation of the schools. They, in turn, hire administrators who develop policies and curriculum for the students and then recommend them to the elected officials.

I absolutely don't see a problem with a parent questioning why a certain policy has changed and voicing a dissenting opinion if they feel it is unfair. Sometimes the changes that are made are done so as a knee-jerk reaction to an event and are not well thought out. In those cases, questioning the change, and offering a different solution may be welcomed by the school's administration.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It always makes me laugh when I hear this comment. Actually, as a teacher I also pay taxes. By that logic, since I'm paying my own salary, I should be able to do whatever I want!
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #70
Bethenny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
That is where I disagree. IMO when a school decides to enact a new policy, I feel it is their responsibility to inform the parents at the onset not whenever it becomes applicable.

IMO not telling the parents until just before departure says to me, they didn't want a bunch of parents whining at them all year and while I understand that, I'm still a parent and I deserve to know of policy changes when they occur not when it becomes convenient for the school to inform me.
Exactly what difference does it make? You sound like you're just looking for ways to cause trouble.
Bethenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #71
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Where did the OP say that they told the parents "just before departure". I have to say that as a working parent, I would be annoyed if I took off work, and went to school with my child on a field trip day, and was turned away.

But the post I read indicated that they sent home a letter explaining the new policy in advance. It sounded like the letter might have gone home with the permission slip and the explanation of the trip. In our school that's at least a few weeks out, not "just before departure".
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #72
almburr
DIS Veteran

Parents are encouraged to go on school field trips here. The activity bus leads the way and the huge caravan of suburbans and mini vans follow right behind. Heck the parents even pull their other kids out of school to go along. It works for our school.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #73
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

I'd go with the flow on this one and respect the teachers' wishes.

If it was a field trip that struck me as unnecessarily dangerous -- or if I didn't trust the teacher and chaperones -- I guess I'd keep my child at home that day, if I couldn't chaperone.

But I haven't encountered that in a school setting.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #74
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Our school district requires a background check for all volunteers and it is paid for by the school system.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #75
dimimi
DIS Veteran

Anyone alone with children should have a background check. Unfortunately, most of the time, the child knows his offender. Does it happen often on a school field trip, I'm sure not, however, why take a chance.

As a teacher, I know first hand too many volunteers make it more difficult. Typically each "official" volunteer is assigned 4-8 students. If the parents that just "come" join in, that changes the official volunteer's role. If the parent wants to be with their child, they can go 1:1 to the zoo.

It is nice when the volunteers make an agreement, for example, will the kids buy souvenirs, will they be allowed to buy soda, candy, etc. Then the "extra" volunteer comes and just buys the group cotton candy. This type of behavior causes problems at an elementary level.

Another issue is the mom that brings her other children. That sould definately not be allowed. So, to make it easy, make an official list of volunteers. Make the criteria of no siblings and general guidelines....THEN allow the parents that want to come, come. It would be ok if the assignment groups were 1 adult to 2 or 3 kids.

Just an opinion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: