Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Background check for a Chaperone (who is a parent of one of the kids going) to go on a field trip?

That is one of the biggest wastes of tax payer money I have ever heard of. I understand background checks for those who don't have kids in the school (i.e. Teachers, Teacher's Aides, etc.), that makes sense to me, but if you have a kid on the trip, you should be able to go.

I am the type of person who would probably show up, just because they said they didn't want me to, as I would wonder why they don't want me to show up and figure that they are doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Now, factor in that this is Kindergarten and likely these kids first field trip, most parents will want to be there for that, so I think the school is way out of line here.

If they are worried about parents taking their kids elsewhere, enact a policy that if a child is missing, the police will be called immediately, no exceptions made.
Its a field trip- not graduation? I don't know anyone who follows kids on all their field trips.
Snowflake will have a good time without me!
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #47
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

I occasionally do a presentation at the high school for the upper level science engineering classes. I am never alone with any students. I always speak to a group of 60-90 students plus 3+ teachers. Sometimes other faculty come by, I try to make it interesting reflecting the science and current events. The school pulls a background check at least every six months. I also hold a govt security clearance, occasional consultant. The Feds always call when the school district pulls the report. Also the district only pulls state reports not multi state. I've lived all over the world. I could be a murder in Bulgaria or Florida, but since I'm good in IL I'm ok. Clearly the background check is about checking a box.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #48
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjayhawks View Post
I totally understand the policy. When a field trip is planned, a certain number of chaperones are needed. The students are divided up and each chaperone is given x number of students to be responsible for. Chaperone is given the rules, the times to meet, etc. Students are told that the chaperone is in charge and to listen to him/her. Teacher and chaperones, in this day and age, probably have each other's cell phone numbers as well so they can be in touch as needed.

So, then you have a mom or dad show up who isn't a chaperone and that changes the dynamics of the group the mom/dad's student is in. A younger child will want to be with mom and may not listen to the chaperone any longer. Student could get whiny, want mom/dad to take him/her to another place, buy them something, take him/her to restroom now instead of at a break time, etc. Or mom/dad could decide they want to spend more time at the bear exhibit instead of moving on to the lions as planned. Then what does the chaperone do? He/she is responsible for the child on the field trip, so either the whole group waits or chaperone has to override mom/dad which could cause conflict.

There is a reason this policy was developed/changed. If you don't like it, don't let your child go on the field trip and keep them home that day. You can take them to the zoo another time.

And, yes, the school cannot keep you from going to a public place, but you can't be a part of the field trip and you shouldn't try to crash it. Think of how difficult you could make if for your child if you are there and he/she wants to be with you but can't as he/she must stay with the group/chaperone. Do you want your child to be upset or have a meltdown or create problems? I have seen it where parents would show up and "join the group, you won't notice me" and then try and take over the group or tell Suzie that she can run over to that exhibit when she was told no by the chaperone already. It can confuse the students as to who is in charge of their group or cause the group to waste time looking and waiting for a student.

There will be plenty of field trips in the future years and you will get to be a chaperone on one of them. While you may have really wanted to go on this one, you weren't selected. So accept it gracefully.
As a teacher, may I just say...

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #49
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan

Snowflake will have a good time without me!
Hahaha that is hilarious! Nice!!

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #50
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
I brought that up ... about the zoo being a public place .. he said that parents are 'being asked' not to show up and if we did it would put teachers in an uncomfortable position. So basically ...'we can't technically stop you, but ...'
He said that each grade received this letter before their scheduled field trip (one trip per year per grade, this school is K-5). Kindergarten is the last trip of the year so we are just.finding out now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
The OP stated the policy has been in effect since the beginning of the year but let each grade's parent know when it applied to them. Each grade gets one field trip per year and it is now the their turn.
Actually, she said they were just informed and does not state when the policy went into effect and that the grades were notified just prior to departure. That does not sound to me like a well advertised change in policy and that is where I as a parent would have an issue.
Like I said, its not about the circumstances, I understand that part, its about a new policy.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #51
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Actually, she said they were just informed and does not state when the policy went into effect and that the grades were notified just prior to departure. That does not sound to me like a well advertised change in policy and that is where I as a parent would have an issue.
Like I said, its not about the circumstances, I understand that part, its about a new policy.

Notified prior to their departure...to me that means as each field trip happened throughout the year. She had no need to know it up until this point.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #52
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, this is it exactly. I don't have a problem sending my kids on field trips without me. I'm not afraid that something awful will happen. I just wanted to know why the change .. he told me, that's that. I'll miss that little 'perk' but I'm not the type of person to make a stink over something like this. Really I was more curious if anybody ever challenges their school policy changes - of any type, not just this example. Dress code, etc for instance - it was honestly the other thread about the 8th grader with the NRA shirt that prompted this thread, it was just coincidental timing about the field trip thing.
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #53
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Notified prior to their departure...to me that means as each field trip happened throughout the year. She had no need to know it up until this point.
That is where I disagree. IMO when a school decides to enact a new policy, I feel it is their responsibility to inform the parents at the onset not whenever it becomes applicable.

IMO not telling the parents until just before departure says to me, they didn't want a bunch of parents whining at them all year and while I understand that, I'm still a parent and I deserve to know of policy changes when they occur not when it becomes convenient for the school to inform me.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #54
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Life would be so much easier for teachers and administrators if us pesky parents would just get out of their way.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #55
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

As the parent of a kindergartner I'm glad that background checks are required at my son's school and that some schools limit the number of parents who come.

It's not uncommon at some schools to have more than 75 Kindergartners. (3 classes of 25). Lets say half the kids have parents who want to come on the field trip. Chances are the parents don't all know each other and the teachers probably don't know all of the parents. It would be easy in that situation for an appropriately dressed and acting child molester to slip into the group. A child lagging behind thinks the person is a parent and when that adult asks him if he needs to go potty that child would think it's safe to go with that adult.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #56
Conkozan
Mouseketeer

Our school does not allow anyone other than official chaperones attend. PLUS you do NOT chaperone your own childs group. Your child will be placed with another chaperone.

This was due to parents ignoring the others in the group and solely focusing on the wants and needs of their own child.
Conkozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #57
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkozan
Our school does not allow anyone other than official chaperones attend. PLUS you do NOT chaperone your own childs group. Your child will be placed with another chaperone.

This was due to parents ignoring the others in the group and solely focusing on the wants and needs of their own child.
That's an interesting change. When I chaperone I always have my child in my group. It's not a bad idea actually.

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #58
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I am sometimes the person at my school who makes decisions, including decisions that might upset parents or teachers.

The first thing I'll say is that the other administrators at my school, and I, put a lot of thought into the decisions we make. That isn't to say that we're always right, but we are always thoughtful, and generally have the best interest of the kids in the forefront of our minds. If someone wants to come in and discuss a decision I've made, I'm happy to have that conversation. Why knows what will happen? You might listen to my reasons and come around to my side. You might convince me to look at the situation in a different way and change my mind. We might find a third solution that works for both of us. Whatever, but it starts with approach admin as if they're intelligent partners.

As to the specifics of the zoo trip, all I have to say is this: Do you have a parent in your community you'd never trust with your kid? Maybe you've heard the way he yells at his wife and it makes your skin crawl. Maybe you've found her toddler wandering in the street one time too often. Maybe you're creeped out by the way he looks at your preteen daughter. Or maybe she's come to pick up her 5 year old with alcohol on her breath many many times. For whatever reason, you've made a decision not to let him/her be alone with your kids.

Well, that neighbor's kids go to school, and their parents chaperone too. As a teacher, I can tell you that I put a lot of thought into how I group kids and chaperones on field trip. I'll take whatever steps I need to make sure that so and so isn't alone with your kids, whether it's rigging the lottery for spots on the bus, or assigning that parent to share a group with me or with my most trustworthy assistant teacher. But on a field trip where parents can come and go freely, it's a lot harder to manage. What if that parent runs into another parent group before you see them, and offers to take a couple kids to the bathroom? And that's just one example.

That isn't to say that there might not be a solution that would make you and the school happy. Maybe if parents sign up in advance, come to the school, attend the safety presentation, and then carpool behind the bus, it can work. Maybe parents can raise money and rent a second bus. If this is really really important to you then a conversation is a good place to start. On the other hand, it's totally reasonable to decide to just live with a polcy that you don't love.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #59
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
That is where I disagree. IMO when a school decides to enact a new policy, I feel it is their responsibility to inform the parents at the onset not whenever it becomes applicable.

IMO not telling the parents until just before departure says to me, they didn't want a bunch of parents whining at them all year and while I understand that, I'm still a parent and I deserve to know of policy changes when they occur not when it becomes convenient for the school to inform me.

I can see what you are saying, just don't think there was a need to say anything at the begining of the year. I would think that most schools would do that but I have no issue with the way this one did it.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #60
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
Myself and a few other parents are in disagreement with our kids' elementary school over a new change in policy. Basically, parents have always been welcome to 'follow the bus' and accompany any field trip, paying their own way if they weren't chosen as an official trip chaperone. We got a letter from the principal yesterday that told us that the school would no longer accomodate this practice, and if you're not an official chaperone, you're not to attend the field trip (in this case, it's a kindergarten trip to the zoo). I called the principal today to inquire further, and he basically told me that the teachers has requested this change, as they felt it was just too much to keep up with.
I thanked him for his time, said okay, and that was it. I'm not happy about it, but I figured there's nothing I can do about it. It has me wondering though (as does the thread about the 8th grader and the NRA shirt) ... what do you do when you don't like a new policy instituted by your child's school? Just get used to it, make an issue, try to change it ...?
Here's the problem:
Just because you're the parent of a child, doesn't make you a sterling citizen.

I used to have a friend. His wife (Now ex) and I were very close friends, my kids played with his son.

A few years ago, after they moved cross country, he was arrested on charges of sexual abuse of a 12 year old girl.

HE would have been one of the parents on somebody's field trip.

School employees are screened. Parents are not. It's not safe for YOUR child to have other parents there. If anything, they're more dangerous than strangers, because of the automatic acceptance that goes along with being Joey's dad.

Those policies exist for a reason: to keep your kids safe. And if the policy was enacted mid year, I imagine there's a very good reason for it, probably one they're not allowed to share. Perhaps someone's parent has been arrested on abuse charges and is out on bail, perhaps there's a custody dispute and they're concerned that the non-custodial parent will snatch the child, perhaps a million other things they're not at liberty to share.

If you trust these people to care for and educate your children, I would think they would get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a decision that effects your child's safety.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 04-23-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: