Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

If you disagree with a policy change at your child's school ..

Myself and a few other parents are in disagreement with our kids' elementary school over a new change in policy. Basically, parents have always been welcome to 'follow the bus' and accompany any field trip, paying their own way if they weren't chosen as an official trip chaperone. We got a letter from the principal yesterday that told us that the school would no longer accomodate this practice, and if you're not an official chaperone, you're not to attend the field trip (in this case, it's a kindergarten trip to the zoo). I called the principal today to inquire further, and he basically told me that the teachers has requested this change, as they felt it was just too much to keep up with.
I thanked him for his time, said okay, and that was it. I'm not happy about it, but I figured there's nothing I can do about it. It has me wondering though (as does the thread about the 8th grader and the NRA shirt) ... what do you do when you don't like a new policy instituted by your child's school? Just get used to it, make an issue, try to change it ...?
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
JosieCat
Mouseketeer

I would ask the principal why they don't wait until next year before actually implementing the new policy (the one you described) but I would have to accept it.
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

Our school used to allow this.
Now each chaperone HAS to have a background check on file in corporation office which makes sense.
I'm sure there is more to it than the teachers requesting it...probably some incident that they don't want to broadcast to other parents.
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
hereyago
DIS Veteran

How could they make you not go to a public place?

If I and others felt strongly, it would be taken up with the Principal or parent meeting and lastly a school board.

I am actually a go with the flow parent. But they would get laughed at the you can't go to a public place. When i was volunteering, there were only so many parents sometime all the parents had to drive because no room, on the bus.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
How could they make you not go to a public place?

If I and others felt strongly, it would be taken up with the Principal or parent meeting and lastly a school board.

I am actually a go with the flow parent. But they would get laughed at the you can't go to a public place. When i was volunteering, there were only so many parents sometime all the parents had to drive because no room, on the bus.
I brought that up ... about the zoo being a public place .. he said that parents are 'being asked' not to show up and if we did it would put teachers in an uncomfortable position. So basically ...'we can't technically stop you, but ...'
He said that each grade received this letter before their scheduled field trip (one trip per year per grade, this school is K-5). Kindergarten is the last trip of the year so we are just.finding out now.
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
taitai
DIS Veteran

I totally understand the policy. It makes it much easier (and safer) for everyone if only the chosen chaperones attend. They have had the background checks, the kids are divided up and assigned to a chaperone, everything is transparent and well understood. Frankly, I don't think I would want it any other way.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

I have to say I am the extreme opposite of going along with the school, especially when it comes to my children. I believe I have final say as to what happens with my kids and take very unkindly to someone that tells me other wise. I don't understand why anyone would think someone knows what is best or could love them more than me. This particular policy isn't even about what is best for the kids but what is more convienent for the teachers. Besides we pay our taxes which pays the teachers salaries to do what we want in our schools not the other way around.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
Myself and a few other parents are in disagreement with our kids' elementary school over a new change in policy. Basically, parents have always been welcome to 'follow the bus' and accompany any field trip, paying their own way if they weren't chosen as an official trip chaperone. We got a letter from the principal yesterday that told us that the school would no longer accomodate this practice, and if you're not an official chaperone, you're not to attend the field trip (in this case, it's a kindergarten trip to the zoo). I called the principal today to inquire further, and he basically told me that the teachers has requested this change, as they felt it was just too much to keep up with.
I thanked him for his time, said okay, and that was it. I'm not happy about it, but I figured there's nothing I can do about it. It has me wondering though (as does the thread about the 8th grader and the NRA shirt) ... what do you do when you don't like a new policy instituted by your child's school? Just get used to it, make an issue, try to change it ...?
Unless it is harming my kid, I roll with the changes. My oldest is 22, other dd is 16, so I have rolled a lot.

Right now they are changing security here as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

What a great problem for a school to have: too many parents wanting to go on field trips.

It is hard on teachers to try and have any authority whatsoever with too many parents around. At least that's what I hear. I've never experienced that problem myself, as we were begging people to come along on our trips.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Well the short answer is -- If I didn't feel like my child would be safe on a school field trip, then I wouldn't sign the permission slip to allow my child to take the field trip. They are optional.

Now if you don't like the new Math Curriculum or whatever, that's something worth "doing something" about.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

The only thing I can think of is that it might make it hard to keep track of the kids if their parents show up and take the kids to a different area, or the parent takes their kid home without telling the teachers.

This happened once when I was a kid. We couldn't leave without a child being accounted for. The boy left with his mom and they didn't tell anyone. By the time the administration gave the teacher and bus permission to return to the school, we were 20 minutes late to the dismissal bell and we all missed our busses home. I remember the teacher was in years and parents were livid that they had to come pick up their kids because they missed the bus.

Most parents wouldn't do this. They would follow the rules. But all it takes is 1 to ruin it for everyone.

Also, there are kids who don't behave well when their parents are there. There are also parents who would undermine the teacher if they were there.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
What a great problem for a school to have: too many parents wanting to go on field trips.

It is hard on teachers to try and have any authority whatsoever with too many parents around. At least that's what I hear. I've never experienced that problem myself, as we were begging people to come along on our trips.
The problem is ...... Susie's Mom shows up and tells the Teacher/Chaperone that Susie will be going over to see the bears with her. Okay, Teacher can release Susie to her Mom. Off they go. But then Susie wants her BFF Tammy to come also. Problem. Susie's Mom is not part of the group. Teacher cannot release Tammy to the care of Susie's Mom. Teacher tries to say no. Huge drama. Then Susie's Mom dumps Susie back with the class group without telling the Teacher. Teacher counts heads and comes up +1 and realizes that she's apparently been responsible for Susie for the past 42 minutes, but she didn't know it.

And that's just when the Teacher becomes aware of the ins and outs of the Unofficial Tag Alongs.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Well, we've never been able to follow the bus. I'd abide by the teachers' wish - I'm sure if it wasn't a problem, the policy wouldn't be changed. I could see how it would be confusing to determine who is supposed to be with whom, and which parents are in charge of some kids, and which parents are just there to follow behind their kids.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiejg View Post
I have to say I am the extreme opposite of going along with the school, especially when it comes to my children. I believe I have final say as to what happens with my kids and take very unkindly to someone that tells me other wise. I don't understand why anyone would think someone knows what is best or could love them more than me. This particular policy isn't even about what is best for the kids but what is more convienent for the teachers. Besides we pay our taxes which pays the teachers salaries to do what we want in our schools not the other way around.
I get you know what's best for your child, and showing up to "assist" with your child might be best for him/her. However, if you'e adding an additional unplanned for condition for the teachers/chaperones to have to deal with, thereby taking the field trip supervisors' eyes off of my child, well, I might have a problem with it. AFAIC, it's best to accept that the new policy is best for all of the kids and abide by it. It's really the less selfish thing to do.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
taitai
DIS Veteran

What if some random guy starts following your group around as you are chaperoning the field trip? Turns out, random guy is some kids uncle and was told the kids were going there for the day and wanted to tag along as an unofficial chaperone? You can see how this could snowball.

In our school, the kids go on about 4 or 5 field trips a year. There are often lotteries to pick who gets to go as chaperoning is so popular. EVERY parent who volunteers or goes on a field trip must have a completed background check.

It seems really petty to fight this one. If you want to go to the zoo with your kindergartener, take him or her this weekend.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: