Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
tink,too
DIS Veteran

On our first cruise, we did a postcard exchange. This was mostly for the children on that sailing so they could collect cards from different countries. This was suggested by a teacher and our DD was delighted each time we had new mail!

Our second cruise, we didn't do the FE, but took part in a candy exchange instead. However my DD did receive a few small gifts in her "pocket". As they were always left for our DD and not us, I assumed it was someone who was involved in our exchange who just wanted to share some extra pixie dust.

On our last cruise, we did the FE, but only participated in one group (the FE was split due to a large amount of Disers being onboard). I tagged everything and followed my list, but we saw loads of other FE's out. Some of the folks in the other group still left gifts for us, so I'm glad I brought the full list and extra gifts (and luckily had enough!).

One of our fellow cruisers told me that she was in the Dis group and two other FE exchanges run through other websites.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #32
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

For those who want to do their own gifting for their kids, before the FE there were Tink gifts. I heard about that here on the DIS also. I talked to our room host and arranged for him to put them out with the towel animals each night. I hung them in a tote bag on the hook outside the bathroom before we left for dinner. The first night the kids each got PJ pals. Other nights they got stuffed characters, coloring sets, pins, sunglasses, and other Disney themed items I had bought beforehand from disneystore.com on sale. It was a great way to to get the kids [3 & 5 on our first cruise] back to the stateroom at night to go to bed because they wanted to see what Tink had left for them. I wouldn't leave things like this out in an FE due to occasional theft.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #33
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireMind View Post
There are other decorations you can do as a "hello" to others. Hmm. Hearing this, I might bring ribbon for my FE group to pick up at the central room to tie on to signal that they are part of our group.
Love this idea! This would clue people like me in that I was delivering to the 'right' person. I have no issue with giving to those who are not in my FE group if I have extras but since I personalize the gift by either name or age of person, I want to make sure the listed people get them first.

And yes, OP, I think it is fine that you hang your own, but perhaps a 'disclaimer' would be necessary. I wish your DH the very best and hope your week becomes easier.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
maps81
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
Love this idea! This would clue people like me in that I was delivering to the 'right' person. I have no issue with giving to those who are not in my FE group if I have extras but since I personalize the gift by either name or age of person, I want to make sure the listed people get them first.

And yes, OP, I think it is fine that you hang your own, but perhaps a 'disclaimer' would be necessary. I wish your DH the very best and hope your week becomes easier.
Thanks! But I wasn't the OP- I just tagged on because this thread opened my eyes as to how my grandson's FE might be misinterpreted. Thanks again for kind thoughts!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
maps81
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
First, so sorry to hear your husband is having a rough go with his medical problems. Best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery for him.

As far as putting out your own FE, that is perfectly fine! It's your cruise...you handle it as you please. If you want to put some kind of note up letting others know you are not part of an organized group, but doing a family version that is up to you. (I will be honest...if I saw that, I would probably still sprinkle a little pixie dust with any extras I have!)

Keeping my fingers crossed your September sailing goes off without a hitch, and you all enjoy your cruise!
Thanks for the sweet reply! Made my day!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Regarding the comment about tying a ribbon on an FE to indicate it is with a certain group, it is going to be difficult to get these to everyone in your FE group. Not everyone attends the M&G the first day.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

I hung my Mickey FE out on my 4 night cruise in January, not to get gifts, but to ID my room. Someone STOLE it. I guess they needed a pink 4 pocket Mickey FE more than I did. We did not get any random gifts, but I brought stuff and dropped it into some I thought were cute. It is supposed to be fun. But I will never hang one again.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgura View Post
I only give to staterooms on the list and understand there are reasons people have their own exchange going.

I like the idea of giving your own kids gifts. Sometimes the group exchange is not doable for some people.

Looking back, a little funny...On our very first cruise I noticed the cute "pocket holders" outside the doors. I thought they were for holding mail and other things delivered to your room. I had one made off ebay for our cruise which was a couple years later. Hung it outside the door, and yes some of our mail ended up there. One day we received gifts from the ---- family. We thought, wow, they are so nice! It was not until after the 2'nd cruise that I found disboards and realized what it was. I'm sure this is rare, but can happen!
Having been active over on the WDW section of the boards for 6 years but never here until recently, I picked up on FEs here and there and knew the basics of what it was. I truly thought it worked just like you said here... Not that anyone would *expect* to receive without giving, but that you just made up some goodies and traversed the ship in search of FEs and popped them in - like a scavenger hunt. Silly now that I think about it, but who knew?

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #39
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

If we put some ribbon on a string by the coordinating doorway, people could come by and pick it up on the first day
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

was this a real post or was it a troll? it kind of sounds funny to me but I haven't read it yet. just curious cause it sounds very very odd.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey
So I read a blog post that says this lady bought and hung a FE during a cruise and stuff magically appeared. No mention on if she gave back, but she was definitely not part of a meet and greet group or anything, just was told to get one and did.

Personally I only deliver FE gifts to cabins on my list, but it got me thinking, what do you do if there is a FE on a room not on your list?

Honestly if I had an extra I might pop it in thinking it was a cabin I missed, but I would be upset if I didn't have enough for the folks who contributed to our FE.

Has anyone experienced this, and what do you think?
I haven't read the other posts. I'm not joining an FE. Done 2 and decided not to do them anymore. However, my son LOVES the FE. So my plan was to fill it daily with little goodies just for him so he still gets what he wants out of it. If ppl put stuff in it I wouldn't know even where to start to return it. I wouldn't have it out expecting freebies though. Not at all. On out last cruise I saw FE not on our list. Since I didn't have extra I didn't put stuff in them. If I had had extra I would hesitate because what if there are food allergies, they don't want food, or they don't even want the stuff?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #42
atwood
Earning My Ears

We haven't signed up for our trip. But I do plan on doing it for our daughter. I planned to leave stuff for her everyday or trip out etc. she will be so happy but I am not sure I will do a group. Should I put something saying that or just let it be. I do not want anyone feeling like we put it out for them to fill. I would feel awful doing that
atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

We usually make CDs of great cruising songs, and we ALWAYS bring extras. We have seen FEs before that haven't been on our list, and we have dropped a copy of a CD in the sleeve before. Heck, we have given the CDs away to our neighbors.

Just love spreading the "magic." It's not necessarily about what we get out of the FE - I just think it's fun to give... but that's just me.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We didn't do the dis FE last cruise but did hang our FE out. We were traveling with friends that we exchanged with and we left items for our kids. We ended up with a few random gifts, but that was totally not my expectation. In fact, I found out later from our meet thread that one of the gifts was left from a non participant. He simply knew from prior cruises that there would be FEs and brought homemade wooden cars and randomly left them. They were SO neat!

And I did post a "thank you" on our thread for the random gifts. I felt bad about it since I couldn't return the favor but there really wasn't anything else to do.

And the times that I did participate, I carried a list with me when I delivered.
Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

I hope I don't get flamed for admitting this, but if I see an FE that wasn't on my specific FE assigned list, I "regift" items we have received in our personal FE into it. We have many food allergies, so most of the treats we get we cannot use, so this is what I do with them...

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: