Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We own a dodge grand caravan and was able to get 4 adults. 3 children. 3 large suitcases and 7 carry ons and a stroller. Not something I want to do again. I agree with others, I would rent strollers.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B4 View Post
Not trying to start a debate or hijack the thread but I would like to say I had my son in a high back booster at 3 1/2 b/c he could not safely sit in my regular car seat. He was over 40" and 40 pounds. I do understand what you are saying and thought the same thing, but it is possible that it is more harmful to have a child in a seat he doesn't fit in.
I agree, I was just posting what Fl. law is. Obviously, not a one size fits all law.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
It was intended for the purpose of putting the seats in, but it also allows you to store stuff in it. The trick is to make sure that the nothing sits above the area where the floor board lays into the seating area.

I have fully paced my family for a 4 day long trip to cedar point with all luggage in the stow and go section area w/o issues all the time (in both the 2007 and 2011 models).
I never checked to see if there is a difference in the 2012 and 2013 models for the second row, but, I do know that there was a difference in how the last row "stowed and went". Frankly, I was amazed at how difficult that third row was for people to understand. I spent much of my shift, showing them how it worked. Apparently, 1, 2, 3, 4 is a difficult concept. Since you have to move the driver's seat and the Pax seat forward when opening those floor hatches(2nd row), it would seem obvious that if the seat would not go back, that you had too much stuff in the "hold", but, NOOOOOO, they would scream that there was something wrong with the van seats, drive hunched over or pound on the "hatch". Guess it never occurred to them that there was too much stuff there. I could write a book.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
OP is staying at SoG, so no ME.
Mears has shuttles other than ME.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #35
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
I never checked to see if there is a difference in the 2012 and 2013 models for the second row, but, I do know that there was a difference in how the last row "stowed and went". Frankly, I was amazed at how difficult that third row was for people to understand. I spent much of my shift, showing them how it worked. Apparently, 1, 2, 3, 4 is a difficult concept. Since you have to move the driver's seat and the Pax seat forward when opening those floor hatches(2nd row), it would seem obvious that if the seat would not go back, that you had too much stuff in the "hold", but, NOOOOOO, they would scream that there was something wrong with the van seats, drive hunched over or pound on the "hatch". Guess it never occurred to them that there was too much stuff there. I could write a book.
*LOL* With proper packing you would be amazed at how much I can actually fit into our stow n go seats. Again, you have to keep everything below the "lip", otherwise it wont fit. I really seriously do back almost everything in the stow n go section, we have a wagon (one of the garden carts with fold down sides) that we put in the back section, we put our large cooler on top of that, and then we have regular food/snacks and diaper back...and you can still see clearly and unobstructively out of the back window. If hubby and I combine our stuff into one bag, I push a lot our snacks and diaper bag in the stow n go, and can still fit my husband's large pilot bag in the back...and the kids all have blankets and pillows as well stuffed back there...in the 2007 we used to have the portable DVD players and movies stuff there as well...

I guess I am just good at packing and getting everything to fit.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
I thought you might find this interesting. http://www.carseatlaws.com/florida-car-seat-laws
With regards to laws....all the poster has to do is follow the laws of the State from which they live. Otherwise, when I travel from Ohio to Iowa, my 10 year old would be required to go back into a booster seat, because Ohio Law is age 11 I believe.

The police know what cars are rental vehicles and which ones are not. Again, they are only required to follow the laws of the state in which they live for booster/carseat.

The majority, if not all, states require for children age 1-4 to be in an approved carseat/booster seat, and those over the age of 4 to be in a booster. There are weight/height requirements, but it would be to involved.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
The easy solution here is for one member of your party to take the Mears shuttle to and from the resort. With that, they can take two bags with them on the shuttle and you'll have plenty of room for everything else. It'll cost you an additional $34, but that is cheaper than what it would take to ship anything down there or rent a stroller for your trip.
This is what I would suggest, as well. And hell, I would LOVE to be the lucky adult who gets some alone time on a bus while the others crowd into a packed mini van and have to deal with traffic! Sign me up!!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #38
airplane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post

This is what I would suggest, as well. And hell, I would LOVE to be the lucky adult who gets some alone time on a bus while the others crowd into a packed mini van and have to deal with traffic! Sign me up!!
I love this!
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #39
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
With regards to laws....all the poster has to do is follow the laws of the State from which they live. Otherwise, when I travel from Ohio to Iowa, my 10 year old would be required to go back into a booster seat, because Ohio Law is age 11 I believe.

The police know what cars are rental vehicles and which ones are not. Again, they are only required to follow the laws of the state in which they live for booster/carseat.

The majority, if not all, states require for children age 1-4 to be in an approved carseat/booster seat, and those over the age of 4 to be in a booster. There are weight/height requirements, but it would be to involved.
Do you have a legal citation for this? I am aware of no law that supports your comments above.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #40
ain0004
Mouseketeer

FYI: I live in Ohio. Just got a flyer about car seats home the other day. 8 years or 80lbs to get out of booster seat here in ohio. (in case anyone in wondering.)
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #41
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ah, no, actually, the laws are strictly enforced here in FL and the enforce only FL laws. We were trained to point out the posted FL laws to renters. The police only know if it is a rental if they run the plates or look at the rental agreement. In fact, we were not allowed to let any renter leave unless the child was properly restrained. Let me tell you, that could get touchy.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #42
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
Do you have a legal citation for this? I am aware of no law that supports your comments above.
There isn't. You follow the laws in the state in which you are traveling.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #43
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
I am renting it from MCO and we don't mind being uncomfortable going to and from the airport.
DS3 and DS2 are growing at an incredible rates so they may both be in booster seats by Oct! That will help with space.
Yup, it may be interesting but you can do it! We fit 5 adults and 2 kids (5 and 6) 7 small suitcases, one large suitcase plus backpacks in. THEN we stopped by Costco and Walmart and packed in 2 weeks worth of groceries on too of it all (lots of groceries in lap!!) it was a super squished ride but we did it!!!
We rented a dodge caravan from The airport, the town and counties looked to have the same storage space.
Good luck!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #44
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You need to follow the law for the state you are in at the time.

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/14/I...-must-I-follow

As an out of state driver, you are obligated to follow car seat safety rules from your home state and research whether or not there are any significant differences where you are traveling

http://www.inventiveparent.com/StateLaws.htm

We are often asked if, when traveling, you must adhere to the regulations of the state you are driving in or follow your home state's regulations. As with all traffic laws, you must follow the laws of the road -- the road you are driving on at the time, not the laws of the state you originated in, or are licensed by.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #45
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, I don't know where you got your information, but you are WAY wrong.
1) You need to follow the laws of where you are driving.
2) According to http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...fety_laws.html, the oldest a child would be required to be in a booster is 8, and even 8 year olds aren't required if they meet a height or weight requirement. AND that's only in certain states.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: