Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty View Post
That's a lot to fit in! If you had a town and country minivan they have extra storage under the floorboards on the 2nd row. You could fit some stuff in there probably. Maybe e you could ship the clubs for a nominal price? Good luck!
The extra storage under the floor boards are for the seats when they "stow and go". They are not intended for storage and they will often no "seat" correctly if you put stuff in there.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
We are staying at SOG so no ME. The strollers are Graco so they are on the bigger side. I will look into shipping golf clubs if there are no other options. Could we put the men in the front and 2 kids with me in one row and other small adult with suitcases in other row? 1golf bag in front middle, 2 strollers and golf club in back?
You could put the two car seats in the second row, and put some bags in front of those. You can put two adults in the way back and put the smaller seat into the flat mode " follow the tabs, 1, 2, 3, 4, don't hold them, just pull and release" and put the golf clubs and stollers there. There is a nice amount of room behind the two adults in the rear. I think you can fit, it would just be tight for that ride to SOG. The seating is: 2 seats front, 2 seats middle and 3 seats in the back. Two of the back seats fold down as one unit, and one of the seats folds down as one unit. I have helped people put a lot more stuff than you have listed into one of those vans. Also, they do have roof racks, they are built in, I am not sure, however, if you are allowed to put stuff on the roof, but, you could bring bungee cords just in case it is allowed.
Does this make sense?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

I used to have a town and country (albeit the older version) and I stored luggage in the empty space for long trips every time. Maybe the new version doesn't let you do that? That was a selling point from the dealer when I bought it lol. I also think renting strollers is a good option. The strollers you rent are made for collapsing frequently and folding up easily for the trams. I wish I had rented the first two times I went-my strollers were bulky and hard to navigate around the parks compared to the rented ones.

Fiveisaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
airplane
DIS Veteran

I am renting it from MCO and we don't mind being uncomfortable going to and from the airport.
DS3 and DS2 are growing at an incredible rates so they may both be in booster seats by Oct! That will help with space.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are staying at SOG so no ME. The strollers are Graco so they are on the bigger side. I will look into shipping golf clubs if there are no other options. Could we put the men in the front and 2 kids with me in one row and other small adult with suitcases in other row? 1golf bag in front middle, 2 strollers and golf club in back?
If you have two car seats similar to a Britax there will NOT be room for anyone else on that third-row seat. If the kids are in booster seats there may be room. It you put the car seats on the Captain's Chairs then you could fit both adults + luggage back there, HOWEVER, you will have a very tough time squeezing adults or bags back past the car seats to make your way back to the third row. I'm only 130 lbs and I cannot squeeze past my child's car seat to get to the third row. That's why we have the second Captain's Chair folded into the Stow 'n Go floor so we can access the third row for the other two toddlers we have back there.
And in typing this, you might be able to fit two adults in the third row with a car seat if it's a booster and have the other toddler in one of the Captain's chairs. Then you could fold the other Captain's Chair into the floor and just fill that space with bags. If will all depend on your car seats, but I think w/the strollers it will still be too tight.

I'd think the best way would be to rent a double stroller when you get down there OR just take the minivan rental + a cab to your resort.
2009CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
The extra storage under the floor boards are for the seats when they "stow and go". They are not intended for storage and they will often no "seat" correctly if you put stuff in there.
Not sure about other makes of minivans, but you can 100% stow stuff in the bins of a Chrysler or a Dodge minivan that is equipped with Stow 'n Go seating and have completely functioning seats. I know this for 100% fact.
2009CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

The easy solution here is for one member of your party to take the Mears shuttle to and from the resort. With that, they can take two bags with them on the shuttle and you'll have plenty of room for everything else. It'll cost you an additional $34, but that is cheaper than what it would take to ship anything down there or rent a stroller for your trip.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #23
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009CAN View Post
Not sure about other makes of minivans, but you can 100% stow stuff in the bins of a Chrysler or a Dodge minivan that is equipped with Stow 'n Go seating and have completely functioning seats. I know this for 100% fact.
I know from experience(way too much experience), that the second row storage is for the seats and some small storage, but, often people try to stuff things in there and the seats(or if you prefer, the hatch) don't "seat" correctly, which is very dangerous. It is also a PITA to open the "hatches" to store anything. You are probably very aware of what the Chrysler and Dodge will safely stow, however, you are not the general public. Spend a day at a place that rents them and watch. The rear seat abuse is amazing.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #24
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplane View Post
I am renting it from MCO and we don't mind being uncomfortable going to and from the airport.
DS3 and DS2 are growing at an incredible rates so they may both be in booster seats by Oct! That will help with space.
I thought you might find this interesting. http://www.carseatlaws.com/florida-car-seat-laws
Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty View Post
I used to have a town and country (albeit the older version) and I stored luggage in the empty space for long trips every time. Maybe the new version doesn't let you do that? That was a selling point from the dealer when I bought it lol. I also think renting strollers is a good option. The strollers you rent are made for collapsing frequently and folding up easily for the trams. I wish I had rented the first two times I went-my strollers were bulky and hard to navigate around the parks compared to the rented ones.
There is not a lot of room for storage in the bins in the second row. I love the new design of the stow and go, but, it does have it's limitations.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Different minivans = different available storage space. I would not count on everything fitting. In fact, I would plan on finding another way to get luggage to my resort.

I think you're going to need to either ship some luggage, leave it home, or split up (two rental cars, a rental car & rental minivan, rental & cab or towncar, or Mears shuttle).
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Different minivans = different available storage space. I would not count on everything fitting. In fact, I would plan on finding another way to get luggage to my resort.

I think you're going to need to either ship some luggage, leave it home, or split up (two rental cars, a rental car & rental minivan, rental & cab or towncar, or Mears shuttle).
OP is staying at SoG, so no ME.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Here is the way to so it....Open up both storage units in the floor board (most rental vans are Chrysler/Dodge and have stow n go). I can measure mine as it is the current style, but you might be able to fit one set of club in there (take them out of the back, lay bag in, then put clubs in), if you have the slimmer bags.

Bring Bungee cords, and just strap the strollers to the top of the van, they have built in things on the with the front/back that fold out.

Then you should be able to fit all 4 suites cases in the back.

In the back row, but one carseat on each side, and you could potentially put one or both sets of clubs resting up against the seat and through the middle row aisle (where the kids would normally walk).

This is all if you are just flying to orlando not driving. If driving, pack tightly into smaller bags, and shove this into the stow n go...and load up the back of the car with the strollers and remaining luggage, and rest/lay the golf clubs/bags in the walk isle/center seat of the back row.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought you might find this interesting. http://www.carseatlaws.com/florida-car-seat-laws
Not trying to start a debate or hijack the thread but I would like to say I had my son in a high back booster at 3 1/2 b/c he could not safely sit in my regular car seat. He was over 40" and 40 pounds. I do understand what you are saying and thought the same thing, but it is possible that it is more harmful to have a child in a seat he doesn't fit in.

Aidan's Pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post33984742
Soon2B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It was intended for the purpose of putting the seats in, but it also allows you to store stuff in it. The trick is to make sure that the nothing sits above the area where the floor board lays into the seating area.

I have fully paced my family for a 4 day long trip to cedar point with all luggage in the stow and go section area w/o issues all the time (in both the 2007 and 2011 models).
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: