Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
3Miracles
Earning My Ears

Whispering Canyon??

What are your Thoughts on the Food from Whispering Canyon?? Looks like a pretty cool place and the pics of Food look good, but Pics don't mean Anything!!! Your Thoughts????
3Miracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
memakwed
Mouseketeer

We've ate there once but not since their lastest menu change. We did the skillet and it was plenty and tasted good. We would go back. Hopefully someone that has been recently will give you an up to date idea.
memakwed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Miracles View Post
What are your Thoughts on the Food from Whispering Canyon?? Looks like a pretty cool place and the pics of Food look good, but Pics don't mean Anything!!! Your Thoughts????
I have always enjoyed it! The food is above average I mean its not the kind of food you are going to get next door at Artist Point or at the other signature restaurants but it is also not not going to be the same price as those. It is better for kids and it is a fun environment quite loud but you are at Disney

WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Nina1
Disney Lover

In a word re. food...yuck! But, atmosphere is fun. Although, not worth the yucky food.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

If you like homestyle America food it is good. Our Family prefers to have a few homestyle meals while in vacation. Just our opinion.

Good Luck!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
jessicamouse
Mouseketeer

We ate there in December, and LOVED it. It was actually one of our favorite meals. The atmosphere is very unique and fun (make sure you ask for ketchup and the food was delicious. It was BBQ fare - so as long as you know what genre to expect, you will most likely not be disappointed.

If you have little ones with you - there is a stick-horse pony race during dinner. Very fun. Also, it is one of the only restaurants where milkshakes are included on the DP, and they were delicious!

jessicamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Dinner or lunch? These are now very different from one another.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicamouse View Post
We ate there in December, and LOVED it. It was actually one of our favorite meals. The atmosphere is very unique and fun (make sure you ask for ketchup and the food was delicious. It was BBQ fare - so as long as you know what genre to expect, you will most likely not be disappointed.

If you have little ones with you - there is a stick-horse pony race during dinner. Very fun. Also, it is one of the only restaurants where milkshakes are included on the DP, and they were delicious!
This!

This was my favorite meal all 9 days. We had lunch there, and I think what made it my favorite was that my expectations were met, and the bill was commesurate with the food provided. Service was wonderful.

This favorite meal disctinction won over 'Ohana, CRT, Tusker House, CM, 1900 Park Fare breakfast, Via Napoli (by a small margin), Chefs de France; so some well reviewed places. I'm not saying I prefer this cuisine over all the others, but this was one of the meals wherethe expectations of both my tastebuds and wallet were met. (we paid OOP for this meal even though we were on the DDP because I love me some sit down meals!)

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

The atmosphere is awesome. The food - not awesome. My son, on 2 different occasions, ordered the skillet and was violently sick from it both times. For that reason we won't go back. It could have been the combination of the foods on the skillet and he may enjoy another item on the menu, but for me (and the clean up crew), it won't be happening again!!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last November and ate there one night.

The food was okay. It wasn't bad, but we didn't ask for seconds. This restaurant's food is lacking compared to others... but they DO make up for it in the fun department.

We asked for straws and when our waitress threw them at us, we knew we were in for a treat
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
luvformickey
Earning My Ears

With the only choice for dinner now being the skillet, I'd be more inclined to go to lunch. It's a fun atmosphere, but the food is just okay. I miss the meatloaf sandwich--it was one of the best things of our trip a year ago and now it's gone
luvformickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Well, pretty split opinions on here, as per usual

It is one of my favorite restaurants. We love the skillet and milkshakes. It is a must do dinner for us every trip. If you like Barbeque, then you should be ok.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
SLamott1973
Earning My Ears

Love the breakfast! Food is good and its a really fun time we all love it...the CMs are so much fun. My kids love a loud playful restaurant where the get to cut loose during dinner and its OK!!

10/2014 Wilderness Lodge
11/2012 Wilderness lodge
4/2011 CBR
SLamott1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Belle'sFan
Mouseketeer

To the person whose son was sick both times, he may have had an allergic or adverse food reaction. I mention this because my daughter was violently sick after eating barbecue sauce. We didn't think anything about it until other sauces and dressings started bothering her and we found she is sensitive to soy- soy oil, soy lecithin, soy flour, etc. It would be pretty unusual to get food poisoning twice, especially if no one else was sick. Just something to keep an eye out for if you start to see a pattern. It took us quite a while to figure this out.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle'sFan View Post
To the person whose son was sick both times, he may have had an allergic or adverse food reaction. I mention this because my daughter was violently sick after eating barbecue sauce. We didn't think anything about it until other sauces and dressings started bothering her and we found she is sensitive to soy- soy oil, soy lecithin, soy flour, etc. It would be pretty unusual to get food poisoning twice, especially if no one else was sick. Just something to keep an eye out for if you start to see a pattern. It took us quite a while to figure this out.
That was me, and thank you for your post. I don't think, and didn't mean to imply, that he suffered from food poisoning. Rather, I think it was the combination of foods served. We as a rule eat baked, broiled, roasted or grilled foods, and rarely do we bbq where sauces are involved. We eat very little fried foods, and I think that's what "did him in". When you don't eat a lot of greasy foods but indulge on vacation, sometimes it can do really awkward things to your innards!!! I can certainly feel for your daughter, because I'm actually the one with food allergies which is why I cook on the drier side. I'm allergic to whole milk, eggs, egg products, wheat, soy, red meat, shellfish...in other words, all the fun stuff (think ice cream)! When I overdo the shellfish, which I LOVE, it gets ugly. So I know how your DD feels (my kindred spirit!!). But like I said, the atmosphere is awesome. Loads of fun. I wish we had a better ending, but it wasn't to be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: