Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
I've had Nexus for about 4 years now...most of the time I like it.
Crossed at the Rainbow bridge yesterday though-wait was 30 mins and Nexus lane closed.

Not impressed...
Should have taken the Whirlpool bridge...it's a Nexus only bridge. Never a wait.
We find 9 out of 10 times the nexus lane is closed at the rainbow bridge. Quite irritating!

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
keaster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
Should have taken the Whirlpool bridge...it's a Nexus only bridge. Never a wait.
We find 9 out of 10 times the nexus lane is closed at the rainbow bridge. Quite irritating!

Are the Nexus lane closures something recent? Could it have to do with the sequester shutdowns and cutbacks in the U.S. ?

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #33
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
Couldn't-I was with a friend that doesn't have Nexus. I have told ALL my friends they want to come with me-get the card. Most of them have it ..just not this one!!
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #34
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaster View Post
Are the Nexus lane closures something recent? Could it have to do with the sequester shutdowns and cutbacks in the U.S. ?
No it's just rarely open.

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #35
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Just got back from Florida-what a great experience with Nexus/Global Entry.

Left YYZ term 3 and they did not have the customs open for pre-clearance so we needed to go through customs in Florida.

Used the GE kiosks (with the help of an extremely friendly US border person) bypassing about 300 other passengers waiting in the customs line.

The on the way back 5 flights from Florida and one from the Bahamas all arrived at the same time, this time we used the Nexus kiosks at YYZ bypassing what would have had to have been an hour plus wait in the customs line.

What a great program-love it!
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #36
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Wow - what time did you leave that the pre-clearance wasn't open at Terminal 3?
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #37
tiggerrr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
Okay, so I see that Orlando has the pre-TSA check-in for American Airlines (who I am flying with) but it says from the West checkpoint only not the East check point. How do I know which point I will be at?

I just got accepted yesterday, but there is a possibility that I will get my card before I go next week. It would be nice to go through this expedited line. I guess I will have to wait until print out my boarding pass to see if I qualify. Is that correct? Or do I need to notify the airline?

Do I need an iris scan for this? I haven't had it done yet as the Blaine, WA office doesn't have it.
You may have already left, but I'll answer the question for others who may be wondering. TSA Pre-Check works very differently than the security lanes for Nexus holders in Canada.

TSA Pre-Check requires you to enter your PASS ID (found on the back of your Nexus card) into your reservation in the Known Traveller ID space. Usually this is done at the time of reservation or during Online Check In. Some airlines let you add it any time after the reservation is booked by calling it. Only some airlines are part of the program.

The biggest trip up, that has been mentioned here earlier, you MUST be travelling only within the US on your entire itinerary or you will not be eligible. If you are flying to Canada, even if you connect in a US city first, you will not be eligible for Pre-Check. If all is good, the TSA then makes a random determination as to whether you will be accepted for Pre-Check on this particular trip. While this mostly works out in your favor, they have been clear that the program will randomly deny you access periodically as a security measure. The actual acceptance for Pre-Check is encoded into your barcode of your boarding pass, so until you enter the Pre-Check lane and get your boarding pass scanned, you don't know if you are getting it. If not, you get to go through the regular line. EDIT: It appears in the last week or so several major airlines have been printing Pre-Check eligibility on your boarding pass if you get it

There is a way to get a scanner and scan your own barcode and if you understand the code you can figure out if you've got it. But, it's very "cloaked in secrecy" unlike the Canadian system where you show your card to security and go through. I've been through Pre-Check as a Nexus holder in the US and its very nice - leaving the laptop and your liquids in your bag and all your clothes on is very fast, but I still prefer the consistency of the Canadian way.

By the way, to make Pre-Check work at all, your name on your boarding pass must exactly match your Nexus name.

Last edited by tiggerrr; 05-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.
tiggerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

We were told it was due to US customs agents shortages-we were there at 7am
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
So you can only use Nexus in Orlando to clear customs to get into the US, but not when you leave?

I am flying to/from the US (Bellingham), do they have a Nexus line for domestic flights in Orlando?

How about domestic flights within Canada? Can you use the Nexus for a shorter line through security?

Thanks for all of your replies and help.
This is what I want to know too. We drive to Seattle to fly. So for US flights I would be domestic.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #40
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
Couldn't-I was with a friend that doesn't have Nexus. I have told ALL my friends they want to come with me-get the card. Most of them have it ..just not this one!!
I feel your pain! I crossed last night for a quick trip down and my friend didn't have Nexus. It was 45 min going down but we figured it would be no wait coming back because who crossed back into Canada Saturday night? Well it was an hour and 40 minutes!!!! We didn't get home until midnight and had two very sleepy girls in the back.

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #41
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
This is what I want to know too. We drive to Seattle to fly. So for US flights I would be domestic.
When we were at our interview we were told we could use it for US domestic flights but I think it was Global Entry at that point.

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #42
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
We were told it was due to US customs agents shortages-we were there at 7am
This is interesting. Must be quite the challenge for the airlines and the airport authority to juggle the schedule and gates when flights that might previously been pre-cleared are suddenly not able to.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #43
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

We were also able to use Global Entry immediately following our interview.

If crossing the border by car, everyone in the vehicle must have Nexus in order to use the designated Nexus lanes.

Nexus/Global Entry is for expedited customs clearance although most Canadian airports have a special lane at security for Nexus card holders. It's much the same as having a first class ticket. You still have to go through the regular security checks but they move you to the front of the line.
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]