Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
We submitted the applications Sept 1st 2012
Conditional approval the 2nd week of september.
And the 1st available interview time was January 16th 2013!
Its a long wait!!!!!

When we went in January they looked at the next availabe appointments and they were already into June 2013. They are so busy and backlogged!

we met with the Canadian Customs officer first. They went over the program. Do's & Donts and how it all works.
Then we did the Retina scan
Then we met the US customs officer. Ours had zero sense of humour.
They were the one that asked all the questions. They do the finger prints. He was cranky when I didn't have my fingers straight enough on the scanner.
Then they take your picture with a webcam...very unflattering picture!

They ask about previous vacations..why you went etc. He wasn't impressed that I went to Cuba and grilled me as to my "business" there! I guess they don't like Canadians going to Cuba!
Questions about criminal history, if you have any tattoo's... at one point he asked if our 12 yr old wanted to leave the room cause he was going to ask personnal questions. Just if we've ever been arrested...etc.
Since its technically as US program..they are the ones who ask the most questions.
Thanks. We submitted ours about a month ago, and I had been hoping we might be approved by the time of our August vacation. Guess not!

I'm assuming that you had your interview in Niagara Falls. We're close to Pearson, but I've heard that it's even more backlogged. I imagine sequestration won't help matters, either.

Ah well, maybe in time for Christmas!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
networktek
it all started with a mouse

Nexus is a US Canadian boarder trusted traveller program you can use it on either canadian or Us land, sea, air crossing there are alot of canadian airports with nexus person even the island airport has it

networktek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDisney View Post
There are Nexus lanes at Toronto's Pearson Airport because you clear customs before boarding the plane at that airport. I used it in August last year.
you are right...

In the air mode, NEXUS members avoid long line-ups and save time using automated self-serve kiosks at eight designated Canadian international airports (see Air Mode below).

As an added benefit, when travelling on domestic, U.S. bound, and select international flights, NEXUS members can now be expedited through Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) airport security screening lanes, located at eight Canadian airports:

Vancouver International Airport
Calgary International Airport
Edmonton International Airport
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (T1 and T3)
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
Montréal Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport
Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport
Members must present their valid NEXUS card to access the Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Line.

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Disney Daniel
Aw.....FIDDLESTICKS!!!!!

The previous poster has this nailed down. I have had NEXUS for almost a year and it does help when entering Canada from an immigration standpoint. It is also great when flying domestically through larger airports as you can go to the head of the security line or be in a separate area depending on the airport.

Technically, when entering the US you are more Global Entry than NEXUS. For instance when flying into a US airport where you have not pre-cleared or if pre-clearing at certain Canadian airports (Toronto is one of them) you use Global Entry kiosks, not NEXUS. If you are a NEXUS member you are also a Global Entry member so this is not an issue and you use fingerprinting instead of iris scans in these cases.

The huge issue with TSA Pre Check is that it will only work if you are flying within the US. Also, it only works with certain airlines. For instance, I may be flying from LAX-BOS on United and get to use it but if I were flying Southwest I couldn't do it. If you are going to Canada (or anywhere else outside of the US) they will not allow you to use TSA Pre Check.
Disney Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Daniel View Post
The previous poster has this nailed down. I have had NEXUS for almost a year and it does help when entering Canada from an immigration standpoint. It is also great when flying domestically through larger airports as you can go to the head of the security line or be in a separate area depending on the airport.

Technically, when entering the US you are more Global Entry than NEXUS. For instance when flying into a US airport where you have not pre-cleared or if pre-clearing at certain Canadian airports (Toronto is one of them) you use Global Entry kiosks, not NEXUS. If you are a NEXUS member you are also a Global Entry member so this is not an issue and you use fingerprinting instead of iris scans in these cases.

The huge issue with TSA Pre Check is that it will only work if you are flying within the US. Also, it only works with certain airlines. For instance, I may be flying from LAX-BOS on United and get to use it but if I were flying Southwest I couldn't do it. If you are going to Canada (or anywhere else outside of the US) they will not allow you to use TSA Pre Check.
Since we are close to the border we always fly out of buffalo...we've never used it on our home turf..except crossing the border by car.
Great info you provided...thanks!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

Okay, so I see that Orlando has the pre-TSA check-in for American Airlines (who I am flying with) but it says from the West checkpoint only not the East check point. How do I know which point I will be at?

I just got accepted yesterday, but there is a possibility that I will get my card before I go next week. It would be nice to go through this expedited line. I guess I will have to wait until print out my boarding pass to see if I qualify. Is that correct? Or do I need to notify the airline?

Do I need an iris scan for this? I haven't had it done yet as the Blaine, WA office doesn't have it.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

KittyKat1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
Okay, so I see that Orlando has the pre-TSA check-in for American Airlines (who I am flying with) but it says from the West checkpoint only not the East check point. How do I know which point I will be at?

I just got accepted yesterday, but there is a possibility that I will get my card before I go next week. It would be nice to go through this expedited line. I guess I will have to wait until print out my boarding pass to see if I qualify. Is that correct? Or do I need to notify the airline?

Do I need an iris scan for this? I haven't had it done yet as the Blaine, WA office doesn't have it.
We sent our application in on Mar 2, 2013-received conditional approval on Apr 2, 2013-our interviews were Apr 6, 2013 at YYZ-both border services and iris scan and 10 finger prints. The iris scan is for NEXUS (CDN) the 10 finger prints are for Global Entry (US). You can use Global entry immediately after you are approved and fingerprinted. Our Nexus cards came in the mail exactly 1 week later. To use NEXUS you have to have iris scans.

There are 2 NEXUS enrollment centres in Vancouver-one downtown and the other at YVR. If you only need Iris scan you don't need an appointment-just go to one of the offices that does them and let them know (take your approval with you).

You need to have your NEXUS card in hand in order to activate it on the GOES website.
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by mom_rules; 04-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

I got my NEXUS pre-interview approval on Monday, and booked an appointment at Pearson Airport for July 28th.

I could have gone to Fort Erie this weekend as they had one spot open at 8 am on Saturday, but DD is in Dance competitions this weekend..
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
I got my NEXUS pre-interview approval on Monday, and booked an appointment at Pearson Airport for July 28th.

I could have gone to Fort Erie this weekend as they had one spot open at 8 am on Saturday, but DD is in Dance competitions this weekend..
How long ago did you submit your application?
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Thanks. We submitted ours about a month ago, and I had been hoping we might be approved by the time of our August vacation. Guess not!

I'm assuming that you had your interview in Niagara Falls. We're close to Pearson, but I've heard that it's even more backlogged. I imagine sequestration won't help matters, either.

Ah well, maybe in time for Christmas!
yes, we live by Niagara Falls....the Nexus Centre is in Fort Erie. Nice and close for us.

Our problem was that we have 3 people in our family.
We needed to make 3 appointments at the same time.

If you want to go one at a time you can check every day for cancellations. They pop up all the time.

But if you are a family and you want to go together you must book on the same day.

We had a HUGE mix-up with ours.
My son & I had our conditional approval in 12 days...so we booked our appointments right away.

My husbands conditional approval wasn't done til the following week. His appointment was a week after ours. Which would have been when we were on holidays.

I called the Nexus centre and I was told to have him come along that day...keep his original appointment. But they will just bring him in with us 2 and do it at the same time.

WELL.....not the case.

When we got there the Canadian Male Customs Officer at the window was so rude.

He said I was given the wrong info. I started to say "she told me".. He was rude saying "Who's she? She was wrong!".

I apologized and said I don't remember her name because it was months ago.

The Woman Customs Officer came out and asked if she was going to do all 3 of us and he rudely said "Nope, he can come back for his appointment".

He went on and on about how they didn't have his info to conduct his interview because he wasn't scheduled in that day. He said that now you all have to be scheduled on the same day...doesn't have to be one after another just on the same day. Which is so hard to find a time/day open for 3 people together.

The Woman customers officer was nice when the 2 of us went in for our appointment.

She explained that they are so behind. They were downsized and were working through their lunches.
She said on a normal day they'd take approx 60 appointments and allow for 5-7 "walk-in's" which would have been what my husband would have been considered. But they were all tired, over worked, mad and not doing more then they had to..including the extra "courtesy" walk-in appointments.

She advised I was probably told that they would do his at the same time and apologized.

I was upset as that would mean he wouldn't have had his card in time for our vacation.

Crappy deal!

She started explaining everything then the Male officer came walking over with my husbands paperwork.

Once he saw my husband (who sat down before this guy could see him in the first place) he recognized him.
My husband took care if his wife in the hospital for some time and would be taking care of her again in the following weeks as she was just admitted back in the hospital.
Its amazing how after he recognized him he miraculously found my husbands information in the system.

It purely was a case of "it's who you know"!

Fort Erie is super busy because alot of Truck drivers use that Nexus location because its at the border...and it has the Iris scan there as well.

Last edited by vacation_junkie; 04-26-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
Susan2771
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 4 and submitted our applications mid-March and all 4 got approved a little over 4 weeks after submission. Our appointments though aren't until July 9th since we had no luck finding 4 time slots on a single day sooner than July and we checked multiple locations. Fingers and toes crossed we get the cards in time for Hawaii which is the end of July.

Sept 2008 - POFQ
June 2009 - CBR
June 2010 -Coronado Springs
October 2011 - POR
JULY 2012 - AKL
AUGUST 2013 - AULANI
JUNE 2014 - CBR
JULY 2014 - TO THE DARK SIDE WE GO! -ROYAL PACFIC
June 2015- BACK TO THE DARK SIDE AND CABANA BAY. THEN A CRUISIN WE GO!
Susan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Fingers crossed here that we can book our appointment soon!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
shoppgirl
DIS Veteran

My family has both Nexus and Global Entry. My girls (11 and 9) had their iris scans done for Nexus, but did not get fingerprints done for GE. YYZ seems to be phasing out their Nexus machines at the US customs hall moving to GE. Does anyone have experience with their children using GE with out fingerprints? Do they just need to scan their passports? Do they still need to line up to talk to a customs agent?

I applied last August, got approval within a month (Sept) and the first appointment date for all four of us at YYZ was in January! The girls had difficulties getting their irises scanned but the Canadian agent was so nice and patient with them. The US agent was just there to do his job, but was nice enough with the girls to show them what their pictures look like (he certainly didnt turn his monitor around to show me my hideous photo!). I look forward to using the cards for the first time in less than three weeks to Disney!!!
Disney Dream Cruise July 2012

Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2013
Disneyland Hotel March 2014
Grand Floridian December 2014
shoppgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppgirl View Post
The US agent was just there to do his job, but was nice enough with the girls to show them what their pictures look like (he certainly didnt turn his monitor around to show me my hideous photo!).
the pictures are just wonderful..I look like I have a growth out the side of my face ...they are not flattering at all!
I think the US guard told my son he gets finger printed at 14/15? Can't remember.

But I did tell my son now that he's been iris scanned and everything he can never EVER do anything bad anywhere in the world because they will know who did it because they have his info on file! He gave me a weird look and thought about it for a while....lol

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I've had Nexus for about 4 years now...most of the time I like it.
Crossed at the Rainbow bridge yesterday though-wait was 30 mins and Nexus lane closed.

Not impressed...
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: