Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

Nexus

I have my interview tomorrow and was wondering if you get your card right away or do you have to wait?

I am flying out of Bellingham next Friday and was hoping to have my Nexus card by then.

If you have to wait, can you pay for expedited service?

How long did you have to wait to get your card?

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

KittyKat1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
networktek
it all started with a mouse

we just did our interview a few weeks ago it is a 2 part interview.

part 1 you go into the office with boarder patrol and they go over all your info and take your finger prints and photo and eye scan if you request it.

part 2 you go into a US Boarder office and get asked alot of questions from the US boarder officer than get passed to a Canadian boarder officer and get asked all the same question and get all the info on how it works and how to claim if you go over.

there is also a practice koisk if you do the eye scan to test it out.
also it take 5-6 business days for the card to arrive ours took the full 6 business days not sure if you can pay for it to arrive faster. and you activate it online takes 2 secs to activate

networktek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Six business days may work...I leave in 8 business days. Might be tight though.... How did it arrive? Through the mail or courier?

I can get the eye scan done at anytime as there is a enrollment centre in the office building I work in. Going to Blaine, WA was the fastest appointment though.

So, maybe I can use it to cross the border, but not at the airports. Bellingham won't have nexus anyways, but I think Orlando does.

I will cross my fingers and hope to get it next Wednesday so I can bring it into work on Thursday and get my eye scan done.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
satman1962
Mouseketeer

Orlando doesn't have Nexus. The only way to line pass in Orlando is to have a first class ticket, Air Canada Elite or Super Elite etc.

Also there is Clear Pass, but that is only available to Americans.
Oct 2001 Polynesian/Apr 2003 Boardwalk/Apr 2005 Boardwalk/Aug 2006 Saratoga Springs/Jan 2007 Beachclub/May 2007 Saratoga Springs/Aug 2007 Boardwalk/Dec 2007 Saratoga Springs/May 2008 Old Key West/Aug 2008 Beachclub/Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs/May 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jan 2010 Beachclub (Half Marathon!)/May 2010 Beachclub/Oct 2010 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Jan 2011 Saratoga Springs (Half Marathon!)/May 2011 Boardwalk/Oct 2011 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Aug 2012 Saratoga Springs/Sept 2012 Beachclub (Tower of Terror Run!)March 2013 Saratoga Springs/April 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/May 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Nov 2013 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Jan 2014 Port Orleans (First FULL Marathon!)/Jan 2014 Saratoga Springs/May 2014 Saratoga Springs/June 2014 Old Key West/Oct 2014 Animal Kingdom
satman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
networktek

Orlando does have nexus lanes also it came by regular mail so no signiture was required they just left it in our mailbox for a complete list of US airports you can see them at http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...ating-airports

Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
I have my interview tomorrow and was wondering if you get your card right away or do you have to wait?

I am flying out of Bellingham next Friday and was hoping to have my Nexus card by then.

If you have to wait, can you pay for expedited service?

How long did you have to wait to get your card?
We did ours at the Ft Erie Border in Canada. We met with both Border agents & had our Retina Scan the same day. We had our interview on the Thursday night and we rcv'd our cards in the mail on the Monday.

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman1962 View Post
Orlando doesn't have Nexus. The only way to line pass in Orlando is to have a first class ticket, Air Canada Elite or Super Elite etc.

Also there is Clear Pass, but that is only available to Americans.
Orlando has Nexus / Trusted Traveller lanes at the airport....that was one of the reasons why we got our Nexus cards

Tuesday, May 1, 2012
TSA Press Office
(571) 227-2829
ORLANDO, Fla.  The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced the start of TSA Pre" operations at Orlando International Airport (MCO). TSA Pre" is a passenger pre-screening initiative and at MCO select Delta frequent flyers and members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs are now eligible to participate and may receive expedited screening benefits when traveling domestically.

TSA Pre" is part of the agency's larger effort to implement risk-based security concepts that enhance security by focusing efforts on travelers considered high-risk and about whom the agency knows less. To date, more than 880,000 passengers have experienced TSA Pre". TSA Pre" is now available in 14 airports for Alaska Airlines', American Airlines' and Delta Air Lines' frequent flyers.

"This screening concept enhances security by enabling TSA to focus its efforts on passengers the agency knows less about while providing expedited screening for travelers who volunteer information about themselves prior to flying," said Director of Field Operations Heather Callahan.

Eligible passengers include U.S. citizens flying on participating airlines as well as those who are members of CBP Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI and NEXUS.

If TSA determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening through the TSA Pre" pre-screening process, information is imbedded in the barcode of the passenger's boarding pass. TSA reads the barcode at the designated checkpoint and the passenger may referred to the TSA Pre" lane where they will undergo expedited screening, which could include being able to leave their shoes, light outerwear and belt on, allowing them to keep their laptop in its case and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bag in a carry-on.

As part of the effort to implement additional risk-based security procedures, TSA is in the process of testing several other screening concepts, including a program designed to positively identify airline pilots, the use of expanded behavior detection techniques, modified screening procedures for travelers 75 and older, and providing TSA Pre" screening benefits to U.S. Military active duty members traveling through Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening. TSA's multi-layered approach to security also includes behavior detection officers, explosives-detection systems, canine teams, and federal air marshals, among other measures both seen and unseen.

For more information about TSA's risk-based security initiatives, visit www.tsa.gov.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
satman1962
Mouseketeer

I guess I should clarify. What I was referring to was the lack of a Nexus lane on the return flight to Canada to bypass the security line in Orlando.

For those who don't clear US customs on their departure at their Canadian airport, yes in Orlando there are Nexus lanes available.

I know here in Montreal we can use our Nexus to bypass both the line for security and US customs.

Still get steamed when it seems that there are always more than a few machines out of service when I travel....
Oct 2001 Polynesian/Apr 2003 Boardwalk/Apr 2005 Boardwalk/Aug 2006 Saratoga Springs/Jan 2007 Beachclub/May 2007 Saratoga Springs/Aug 2007 Boardwalk/Dec 2007 Saratoga Springs/May 2008 Old Key West/Aug 2008 Beachclub/Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs/May 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jan 2010 Beachclub (Half Marathon!)/May 2010 Beachclub/Oct 2010 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Jan 2011 Saratoga Springs (Half Marathon!)/May 2011 Boardwalk/Oct 2011 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Aug 2012 Saratoga Springs/Sept 2012 Beachclub (Tower of Terror Run!)March 2013 Saratoga Springs/April 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/May 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Nov 2013 Beachclub (Wine and Dine Run!)/Jan 2014 Port Orleans (First FULL Marathon!)/Jan 2014 Saratoga Springs/May 2014 Saratoga Springs/June 2014 Old Key West/Oct 2014 Animal Kingdom
satman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman1962 View Post

Still get steamed when it seems that there are always more than a few machines out of service when I travel....
I know the feeling.....
9 times outta 10 times when we cross the border into the US the Nexus lanes are closed...they encourage you to get it to expedite things butt you can't always seem to use it to its proper capacity!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

So you can only use Nexus in Orlando to clear customs to get into the US, but not when you leave?

I am flying to/from the US (Bellingham), do they have a Nexus line for domestic flights in Orlando?

How about domestic flights within Canada? Can you use the Nexus for a shorter line through security?

Thanks for all of your replies and help.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

How long is the wait time from submitting the application to being cleared for an interview?

What kinds of questions?
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
networktek

I was told from the nexus office that you can use the nexus card when flying within the US and within Canada as long as the airport has nexus lanes or koisks. they asked us alot more questions because we wanted to use our's for flying more than driving. we were asked how many times do we cross drive and fly, what were there reasons for crossing, do we usually bring items to leave in the US.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
How long is the wait time from submitting the application to being cleared for an interview?

What kinds of questions?
We submitted the applications Sept 1st 2012
Conditional approval the 2nd week of september.
And the 1st available interview time was January 16th 2013!
Its a long wait!!!!!

When we went in January they looked at the next availabe appointments and they were already into June 2013. They are so busy and backlogged!

we met with the Canadian Customs officer first. They went over the program. Do's & Donts and how it all works.
Then we did the Retina scan
Then we met the US customs officer. Ours had zero sense of humour.
They were the one that asked all the questions. They do the finger prints. He was cranky when I didn't have my fingers straight enough on the scanner.
Then they take your picture with a webcam...very unflattering picture!

They ask about previous vacations..why you went etc. He wasn't impressed that I went to Cuba and grilled me as to my "business" there! I guess they don't like Canadians going to Cuba!
Questions about criminal history, if you have any tattoo's... at one point he asked if our 12 yr old wanted to leave the room cause he was going to ask personnal questions. Just if we've ever been arrested...etc.
Since its technically as US program..they are the ones who ask the most questions.

Last edited by vacation_junkie; 04-24-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
vacation_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
So you can only use Nexus in Orlando to clear customs to get into the US, but not when you leave?

I am flying to/from the US (Bellingham), do they have a Nexus line for domestic flights in Orlando?

How about domestic flights within Canada? Can you use the Nexus for a shorter line through security?

Thanks for all of your replies and help.
Its technically a US program there for no Nexus lanes in Canadian airports

Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

There are Nexus lanes at Toronto's Pearson Airport because you clear customs before boarding the plane at that airport. I used it in August last year.

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: