Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #46
mkdmom
Earning My Ears

Wow, you are so organized! We are leaving in 5 days for Barcelona, and I am still looking at what we should do in the ports.

I still don't know what we are doing when we get to Villefranche. Part of our group booked a Disney excursion.

At La Spezia port we decided to go to Cinque Terre. I just printed out the schedules for the ferry and the train.

We have booked with CMT for Pompeii as well. We asked about returning at 5:00 and the ship leaving at 5:30. He reassured us that we will be back on the Magic in plenty of time. He is planning on having us back at 4:30 instead of 5:00.

I am wondering how crowded Rome is going to be. I am thinking I might contact CMT and see if they still have room for us.

Were you able to purchase your HOHO ticket for Barcelona already?
mkdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdmom View Post
Wow, you are so organized! We are leaving in 5 days for Barcelona, and I am still looking at what we should do in the ports.

I still don't know what we are doing when we get to Villefranche. Part of our group booked a Disney excursion.

At La Spezia port we decided to go to Cinque Terre. I just printed out the schedules for the ferry and the train.

We have booked with CMT for Pompeii as well. We asked about returning at 5:00 and the ship leaving at 5:30. He reassured us that we will be back on the Magic in plenty of time. He is planning on having us back at 4:30 instead of 5:00.

I am wondering how crowded Rome is going to be. I am thinking I might contact CMT and see if they still have room for us.

Were you able to purchase your HOHO ticket for Barcelona already?
Thanks! I do so love the planning aspect, and my family including my in-laws are happy for me to do the research and make the recommendations. After the cruise, not sure what I'll be looking forward to!

For Villefranche we have a private tour with Ingrid. I read many recommendations for her on cruisecritic.com and contacted her many months ago. Others I have read on disboards and cc say that this port is the easiest to do on your own so maybe all you need to do is wander around.

I'm sure Rome will be hot and crowded. I have no idea what the national holiday means for us but I'm really glad we have a guide because if things are closed or crazy busy he/she will have an alternate plan in mind.

In Barcelona, you might want to look into a "free" walking tour like Runner Bean. You tip what you think it's worth. They have a website and a facebook page.

Tripadviser.com has forums with lots of ideas, too.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #48
Feigned
Mouseketeer

Hey JoAnn! I just found this pre-trip report. My sister and I are on the same cruise as your family and we're actually staying in the same hotel in Barcelona prior to the cruise too. You're so organized! I've gotten some good info just from reading your posts.
Feigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #49
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feigned View Post
Hey JoAnn! I just found this pre-trip report. My sister and I are on the same cruise as your family and we're actually staying in the same hotel in Barcelona prior to the cruise too. You're so organized! I've gotten some good info just from reading your posts.
Thanks for reading! You are the only one other than our family that i have heard from who are staying at the Tryp Apollo. My I laws stayed there a couple of years ago and recommended we go there. If you see us, you'll recognize us as the middle aged couple with two Asian teenaged daughters.

I'm glad the report helped. It keeps me focused. See you around!

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #50
kylmac
Mouseketeer

Just found this thread-this is our second European DCL from Barcelona and we are on your cruise! We are bringing our daughter 14 and leaving our 11 year autistic son home with his old teacher. Can't wait! I really appreciate reading all of your planning-sounds like we might run into each other at Palo-I need to check if we are on the brunch or dinner 1st day at sea meal. Love Palo! We have booked our excursions as we tend to stick with Disney because we don't want to miss the ship!
Take care and safe travels-see you on deck!
Elizabeth
kylmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #51
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylmac View Post
Just found this thread-this is our second European DCL from Barcelona and we are on your cruise! We are bringing our daughter 14 and leaving our 11 year autistic son home with his old teacher. Can't wait! I really appreciate reading all of your planning-sounds like we might run into each other at Palo-I need to check if we are on the brunch or dinner 1st day at sea meal. Love Palo! We have booked our excursions as we tend to stick with Disney because we don't want to miss the ship!
Take care and safe travels-see you on deck!
Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth,
Our Palo brunch is the last day at sea... I thought we might appreciate a slow start to the day after all the touring. We have a 13 and a 16 year old -- both girls. This is my first time to venture out with non-ship excursions. I stuck with two very well recommended tour guides -- Ingrid in Villefranche and Can't Be Missed Tours in Italy. I have corresponded several times with each and they are very responsive, so I have confidence we'll be fine. We're doing Pisa on our own... I admit to being just a little more trepidations about that!

We're in stateroom 6618 -- you'll recognize our door. (Got to finish the magnets this afternoon! All this work stuff is impeding my progress!)

JoAnn

Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #52
sajilunni
Mouseketeer

We're leaving tomorrow morning! My husband has been having us wake up at 4AM for the last couple of days to get us acclimated to the time change... I'm packing some chewable melatonin just in case. ;-)

I think we're set. I keep a packing list on my computer, so I've been making adding to it over the last few weeks when I think of something. This vacation is different than every other one we've taken because there's so many occasions for clothes that are a little bit more formal since every port seems to have a cathedral to visit that requires covered shoulders and knees.

Oh and in case you haven't done so, it's a good idea to scan your passport page and keep it either with a friend at home, or in a cloud like Dropbox. When my sister went to India she kept her passport in her luggage, which was in a car that got stolen. It took a crazy amount of work at the US embassy and lots of faxing of documents back and forth because none of us knew what her passport number was.

We arranged for our airport transport to give us a 4 hour tour of Barcelona right when we land (at 8:30AM!) so we can get an overview of the city. Thursday we're going to spend wandering around on our own, and perhaps see a flamenco dinner show. Friday we're planning on taking the train to Monserrat.

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed for a fun, stress-free and efficient vacation! See you on board!

Sajil

DVC: SSR/OKW

(me and DH-41)
(DS12) (DD10) (DD7)
sajilunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #53
kylmac
Mouseketeer

That's a good idea about making photo copies of our passports-I have done that before and you can never be too careful about that. Just finishing up last minute plans...can't wait until Saturday!
Elizabeth
kylmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: