Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
VS85
Mouseketeer

Which one would you pick?

My cousin and I want to experience our first Disney cruise in December 2014 (we want to start a tradition of traveling together the same week every year - the week before Xmas). Originally we were looking at sailing the Fantasy on the itinerary that sails to Puerto Rico, but we were hesitating due to the price. I looked at other cruises around the same time and there is a 5-night Magic cruise that is basically half of the price of the Fantasy, BUT there is no stop at Castaway Cay. We are both really looking forward to CC and an eastern Caribbean itinerary (we have both done westerns on other cruise lines). We can definitely make the price for the Fantasy work, especially given how much time we have to save up but the cost savings is also attractive (we are both in our mid-twenties and paying off those pesky school loans!) We're so conflicted! Which one would you pick? Would love to hear your opinions!
VS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post
My cousin and I want to experience our first Disney cruise in December 2014 (we want to start a tradition of traveling together the same week every year - the week before Xmas). Originally we were looking at sailing the Fantasy on the itinerary that sails to Puerto Rico, but we were hesitating due to the price. I looked at other cruises around the same time and there is a 5-night Magic cruise that is basically half of the price of the Fantasy, BUT there is no stop at Castaway Cay. We are both really looking forward to CC and an eastern Caribbean itinerary (we have both done westerns on other cruise lines). We can definitely make the price for the Fantasy work, especially given how much time we have to save up but the cost savings is also attractive (we are both in our mid-twenties and paying off those pesky school loans!) We're so conflicted! Which one would you pick? Would love to hear your opinions!
If you can afford it, my feeling is, go for the cruise that has the stops you really want to see and do. You can economize somewhere else. It would be a different story if you couldn't afford it.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

It would be very, very hard for me to pass up Castaway Cay again. Look at these fish!

https://www.box.com/s/ogetnscqfgfwle5jalnr
https://www.box.com/s/dzl2rq17v418bxtqbc4i
https://www.box.com/s/m9a2hyvdj1284rihvtgy

I guess you have to decide what is worth the most to you. However we thought that CC was like a $100 excursion for each of us with the buffet, ice cream, transporation, hammacks and lounge chairs (we have had to pay $5 per chair and $10 for an umbrella to visit other island beaches!) and the pelican plunge, the volleyball, the entertainment (crab races) and really well supervised snorkeling, and it lasting all day long.

It would be difficult to pass up CC for me...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Castaway Cay is gorgeous but December isn't the best month for water sports there. Occasionally, weather prevents the ships from docking at CC. This seems to happen during the winter months more often than during the summer. (It was too windy/choppy for us to dock there in January.)

The Magic will undergo a major dry dock remodel/refurb this fall, so next year she will be the "newest" ship of the line.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
klepton
Mouseketeer

Not sure if the dates are flexible at all, but seeing as you don't have kids in school (I don't think) you might consider changing your dates for the first/second week on January instead of the week before Christmas. Or even go two weeks before Christmas. Prices are ridiculous on cruises around Christmas/New Years, so you might be able to get the itinerary you want and a lower price by just shifting the vacation a few weeks.

Outside of that, if you're able to save/splurge for your trip, I'd go with the itinerary you really like. Just know that, as previously stated, the weather can be spotty at CC in the winter months.

Finally, if the itinerary is the most important thing to you, and it's just you and another 20-something travelling, you might consider looking at another cruise line. You can save a lot of money, and get the ports you want. That might be an acceptable trade-off for losing the Disney amenities and theme. I know it would be for me, if I wasn't travelling with kids. That's a personal decision that people need to make for themselves though.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a blast! Once you make a decision don't second guess it, just go full steam and have the time of your life!
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
VS85
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your replies! Definitely some things here to think about. I had read that December in CC can sometimes be a little cooler, but did not realize that the ship may not be able to dock! How often does that happen?! Yikes...

I'll check out some other months for similar itineraries and see how they compare price-wise. We both love Disney and want to experience a Disney cruise, so we don't plan on looking at other cruise lines.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

You are S-M-R-T

Wise words of Homer.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
VS85
Mouseketeer

Haha now I am singing "I am so smart, I am so smart! SMRT!" Great episode

I did check pricing for late summer/fall and the pricing is actually not all that different from the rate we are getting for the week before Christmas. It's about $140 total. Will we have better luck (and better weather) in September? I would be crushed if we missed CC because weather prevented the ship from docking!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
.... How often does that happen?! Yikes...
http://www.disboards.com/poll.php?do...s&pollid=27501
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412
Wow! 23% in Jan!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
(we are both in our mid-twenties and paying off those pesky school loans!)
Before you get married and have kids I would look at picking a different date to cruise. If you can go when school is in session you can get much better prices and be able to cruise where you want. If you want to see the highest prices for Airline flights and cruises look at School Vacation time. Once the kids come then you have to pay the higher prices because you do not want to take your kids out of school or have them miss school sports. Until then book in the cheaper times and pay off your school loans.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Outstanding advice.

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
If you can afford it, my feeling is, go for the cruise that has the stops you really want to see and do. You can economize somewhere else. It would be a different story if you couldn't afford it.

Sayhello
Well said
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips, Costa Rica 2015
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
n8nally
DIS Veteran

I vote for the same thing: change your dates. And late summer/early Sept isn't much better. Go late Sept. Or early Nov. Or after Christmas. Or early Feb.

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
VS85
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the great advice! I guess I've forgotten the holiday/vacation schedule for grade schools. I thought the week before Christmas would be safe (December 13 sail date, back on the 21st) because I remember break being the week of Christmas until just after New Years. Do I have that wrong?

I'm looking at a November 1 sail date now in hopes of better weather. The price is basically the same as the December cruise. I guess it's a bit of a trade off - either travel at peak season and pay high prices, but less chance of weather interfering, or travel in the winter for less money and take a risk of weather causing problems. I think we'll be going for the latter... And if we can't see CC, then I guess that means we'll have to cruise again!

And either way, I am super excited!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: