Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
mooshka1
Mouseketeer

Disneyland with 76 Y/O

Hi everyone! My father has not been to Disneyland in over 20 years. This may be his last trip with us (my DD8 and I). It took me over a year to convince him to accompany us. Are there any pointers and tips on how to make this trip enjoyable for all? What rides do you recommend for this age group; what rides do you advise against? We will be going in early September and staying at Embassy Suites South. He is able to walk pretty well. Had a bypass many many years ago. Thanks for your advice!
mooshka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
planningjollyholiday
DIS Veteran

My parents had a hard time sitting on the hard ground and then having to get back up after sitting on the ground for so long while watching the entertainment. So, if its in your budget I would reccomend the fantasmic dessert seating. For the parade, there are cement benches in fantasyland in the walkway by the matterhorn toward its a small world. Early September will be very hot, so i would try to take breaks in places with air conditioning. He should be able to do most rides, I would obviously avoid the roller coasters because of his heart and they are really hard to get out of. Same with the rocket rods and golden zepher. My mom would tell you to get a dole whip as that was her favourite thing she ate
planningjollyholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

I think the answer depends on how spry your dad is. Does he use a walker or a cane or a wheelchair? How physically fit is he? What rides does HE want to go on? Does he have any concerns about the trip that the two of you can sort out ahead of time?
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

I would arrive early and do most of the rides on your list before lunch. Then take a long break before coming back to enjoy the fireworks. Early morning is the least crowded and chaotic.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer

My stepmother (now 83) took her last trip a few years ago. She loves the Fantasyland dark rides, Small World, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise. Otherwise, she was happy just watching the shows/parades, shopping, and sitting on a bench enjoying the atmosphere.

If he gets tired, try to get a wheelchair or EVC. My stepmother at the time walked well and was very active, but she still got very tired. Also, try to go when it's cooler, or at least do most the active things during cool times (morning and night) and let him rest during the hot hours. Also, remember that he may not move as fast as you. Take time to enjoy the park at his pace.

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year

Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
NStramler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshka1 View Post
Hi everyone! My father has not been to Disneyland in over 20 years. This may be his last trip with us (my DD8 and I). It took me over a year to convince him to accompany us. Are there any pointers and tips on how to make this trip enjoyable for all? What rides do you recommend for this age group; what rides do you advise against? We will be going in early September and staying at Embassy Suites South. He is able to walk pretty well. Had a bypass many many years ago. Thanks for your advice!
No pointers, just wanted to tell you how special it is of you to want him with you and to care enough to try and make this a special trip for him... So nice to see someone wanting to take an elderly parent along. Whatever you do on the trip will be memories that last a lifetime!!! Have a blast and let us kniw how the trip goes....
NStramler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
KerBear
Mouseketeer

If he is fit enough to not need a scooter or wheelchair I highly recommend a rollator. It is like a walker, but with four wheels and a seat. It will provide him worth a place to sit anywhere you go, especially nice for shows where standing or sitting on the ground are the norm.
Other than that I agree with touring early and late, avoid the hottest and most crowded part of the day. Maybe check with his Dr to see if there are restrictions due to his heart surgery, but other than that just go on whatever he wants to ride!
KerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Hi! I think it's wonderful that you are taking your dad!

My father is 82 years old, and has been going to Disneyland every other year for the last 21 years! Before that, we would go once every 5 years, or so. He and my mom started taking all my siblings, our spouses and our children, and it's become a tradition. In fact, we are scheduled to be there the first week in June, again.

Now, my dad loves Disneyland! So, that affects how he tours the park. He loves the dark rides in Fantasyland, loves IASW, Pirates, and HM. He still enjoys BTMRR and Soarin' and the Carousels. When we reach a ride he's not comfortable on, he watches us, or takes that time to grab a snack or a drink. He really enjoys watching parades (but we have to make sure he has a bench to sit on), but his days of watching the fireworks or Fantasmic! seem to be over. We always stay at the Park Vue Inn, so he can watch the fireworks from the breakfast area, there. That satisfies him.

There's a lot that an older person can do and enjoy! Just 4 years ago, we stumbled upon the Golden Horseshoe Review with Billy Hill and the Hillbilly's, and we marveled that we had never seen it before. It's now a must do for us (don't know about this year, because I've heard they are not there, now). Sometimes, it's just fun to sit and people watch.

One thing my dad and I do, is take one afternoon, just the 2 of us, and we go have a Coke float, and then shop along Main Street! Just having some time for the 2 of us, is very special to me!

Enjoy!!!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
MermaidHair
Mouseketeer

Mooshka1 - you and I are in the same situation! I am taking my 78 yo mom to DLR in 3 weeks. It will have been at least 35 years since her last visit. She is pretty spry but never did like fast/spinny rides. She is most interested in the atmosphere, shows, and Pirates! Our plan is that our family of 4 goes down on Saturday and tours Sat and Sunday AM without mom. She flies down on Sunday and may visit the parks solo for a couple of hours before we meet up with her. I figure we can get most of the coasters and must-do rides that the kids want before we hook up with Nana, then we will spend the next 2 days going a bit slower pace and letting the kids take some time away from the grownups (they are 10 and 12) here and there so they can get multiple rides on Screamin!

I use a scooter and it is mostly for stamina due to bad feet (long story). I figure if my mom and I go 50-50 on the scooter it will help her increase her in park stamina (she too, has bad feet  hereditary) and I will feel less tied to the scooter. I will make sure to report back as to what was successful and what was not to give you some more tips for touring with your dad. This is going to be so fun, dont you think?!!

18 more days!!!!
MermaidHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful opportunity for you to enjoy your Dad's company at Disneyland!

PP have already mentioned some of these, but here are some I would definately do:

Listen to the Disneyland Band either at park opening, or in front of the Castle at Noon

Story of Mr. Lincoln at the Opera House

Flag Retreat Ceremony around 4:30 (go about a half hour early for a shaded bench)

Billy Hill and the Hilbillies

Train ride all around the Park (heck, do this several times for a rest)

Enchanted Tiki Room (with a Dole Whip)

Ride on the Mark Twain Riverboat

All dark rides in Fantasyland

It's a Small World

Pirates of the Carribbean

Haunted Mansion

Make sure to schedule in rest/people watching on Main Street AND in New Orleans Square (so you can listen to the jazz)

These are all things I know my parent wouls love! Have fun planning !!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
starshine514
DIS Veteran

My dad's still young (will only be 72 this year) and is pretty active. He had a heart attack and bypass surgery in November and next week will be his first trip post-surgery. Before, he rode everything except teacups and Frrancis' Ladybug Boogie, though SM and TOT weren't his favorites. This trip, he wants to ride RSRs again, but that will probably be his only thrill ride.

As far as stamina goes, that varies so much from person to person. My dad has always kept right up with me; while my mom can't do it without a wheelchair.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: