Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Question After dinner activities for those who choose late seating?

I think I've decided to change from early to late seating for our cruise. It'll be DS12 and myself. What's there to do after late seating?

Our reasons for changing are numerous and I'd like to know what our options are for after late seating activities.

Personal experiences are welcome.

Thank you!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 04-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Plenty.

We found that right after dinner there were plenty of character photo ops. We posed with Princess Tiana! Glad we did, we only had two opportunities to pose with princesses and we had to make the most of them!

Then the first night for us (this is the 3 Day Bahamiam Dream) was a great Fiesta party with Donald Duck at the Dlounge which went right into really entertaining Family Karaoke. That fiesta party watching everyone (from 2 to 70 or so) dancing absolutely cracked us up. They had the BEST time. I was a bit full (my fault) so I didn't dance but man I was glad I went. The karaoke went past midnight.

The pirate night barely gives you time after dinner to show off your great pirate duds, take some more character photos if you want, go up to the 9:45 Live action Pirate deck show and fireworks after 10. Then they had a big pirate dancing deck party, but we headed over to Krazy Karaoke (I think that was adults though, it was good but not as fun as the family) but the kids had a great time dancing with all the pirate staff on the deck.

The last night, we planned it to be ready for the show and dinner, go straight to the DLounge for the last (and our only) opportunity for all 3 major princesses, play a few minutes of Disney trivia, head to our 8:15 for our final dinner, then run back to the room and pack everything up so they could take it away, then we had time to run to the DLounge, put in our last Family Karaoke songs (they were the final two also! Thanks DJ Drew!) and then run down to the shop to buy an awesome rolling DCL logo expandable handle duffle bag at a crazy promotional price and go back just in time to watch the kids & parents sing their amazing songs. We closed it down with Little Mermaid & Kelly clarkston, and then we went back to our room (past midnight again) and finished with some of the On Demand Tangled before we fell asleep had had to meet for breakfast at 7:45 all ready to disembark...

So yeah there was plenty for us to do. It's the most fun evenings I've had on a ship like ever. I loved it! Having late dining doesn't really change much, just whether you see a show or eat first. I like to snack on my pizza at 5 and then have a nice dinner at 8:15 and having my 4:30-5 snack and eating at 6ish wouldn't work as well.

But hey! In the last two weeks including my disney park day and cruise and all my hotdog and pizza eating since (that's almost all I have craved since the ship!) I have only gained 4 pounds. Woowoo! I had plenty of fun for that!

Last edited by TwinPrincessMermaids; 04-23-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add photo
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We took advantage of the after dinner photo ops, sometimes we'd go up on deck and enjoy the upper decks all lit up at night. They were always empty. Most of the time we would go enjoy the adults only entertainment areas. Everytime we went to the Tube on the Fantasy it was pretty empty.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Plenty.

We found that right after dinner there were plenty of character photo ops. We posed with Princess Tiana! Glad we did, we only had two opportunities to pose with princesses and we had to make the most of them!

This is a great photo! I had no idea there are after dinner photo ops. I know DS won't want to wait in long lines during the day so this is good news.

Quote:
Then the first night for us (this is the 3 Day Bahamiam Dream) was a great Fiesta party with Donald Duck at the Dlounge which went right into really entertaining Family Karaoke. That fiesta party watching everyone (from 2 to 70 or so) dancing absolutely cracked us up. They had the BEST time. I was a bit full (my fault) so I didn't dance but man I was glad I went. The karaoke went past midnight.

So the parties include all ages? Does the Wonder have parties like that? I know there is pirate night but I didn't know there are other parties. Sounds like fun.

Quote:
The pirate night barely gives you time after dinner to show off your great pirate duds, take some more character photos if you want, go up to the 9:45 Live action Pirate deck show and fireworks after 10. Then they had a big pirate dancing deck party, but we headed over to Krazy Karaoke (I think that was adults though, it was good but not as fun as the family) but the kids had a great time dancing with all the pirate staff on the deck.

This is awesome! Dinner may be rushed a little on pirate night but that's okay. DS wants to get really good costumes for pirate night so that'll be fun. He's getting really into the idea of this cruise so I want to have as much fun as possible.

Quote:
The last night, we planned it to be ready for the show and dinner, go straight to the DLounge for the last (and our only) opportunity for all 3 major princesses, play a few minutes of Disney trivia, head to our 8:15 for our final dinner, then run back to the room and pack everything up so they could take it away, then we had time to run to the DLounge, put in our last Family Karaoke songs (they were the final two also! Thanks DJ Drew!) and then run down to the shop to buy an awesome rolling DCL logo expandable handle duffle bag at a crazy promotional price and go back just in time to watch the kids & parents sing their amazing songs. We closed it down with Little Mermaid & Kelly clarkston, and then we went back to our room (past midnight again) and finished with some of the On Demand Tangled before we fell asleep had had to meet for breakfast at 7:45 all ready to disembark...

What a fun night, thank you for being so specific and all of the great ideas. Sounds like you had a blast. Do they generally drop the prices of bags and such at the end of the cruise? Sounds like you enjoyed every minute of your cruise.

Quote:
So yeah there was plenty for us to do. It's the most fun evenings I've had on a ship like ever. I loved it! Having late dining doesn't really change much, just whether you see a show or eat first. I like to snack on my pizza at 5 and then have a nice dinner at 8:15 and having my 4:30-5 snack and eating at 6ish wouldn't work as well.
Thats what I'm thinking, that'll we'll grab something while getting ready for the show. Do they allow food in the theater? I won't want to get full but a little something might be okay. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe some room service before like a cheese plate and wings prior to the show so we won't fill up on junk and miss stuffing ourselves during dinner.

Quote:
But hey! In the last two weeks including my disney park day and cruise and all my hotdog and pizza eating since (that's almost all I have craved since the ship!) I have only gained 4 pounds. Woowoo! I had plenty of fun for that!

4 lbs sounds well worth fun. Not a high price for such a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
We took advantage of the after dinner photo ops, sometimes we'd go up on deck and enjoy the upper decks all lit up at night. They were always empty. Most of the time we would go enjoy the adults only entertainment areas. Everytime we went to the Tube on the Fantasy it was pretty empty.

Adults only won't be an option but the photo ops will be. We'll be on the Wonder so no tube/Aquaduck for us but an emptier pool sounds nice.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We barely had time to fit in on Aquaduck. It was fun, but the disney 'pixie dust magic' etc was what really made for a fun trip. I could live without it.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
We barely had time to fit in on Aquaduck. It was fun, but the disney 'pixie dust magic' etc was what really made for a fun trip. I could live without it.
I agree, it's all about the pixie dust. Disney is just so magical. This will be a very special trip for me and my DS. The whole family will cruise together sometime in 2015. Can't wait!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
ludari
DIS Veteran

The activies I do after late seating dinner is character photos, movies, bar (they usually have some activity going on), pool, walk around the deck, coffee at Cove Cafe or shopping. Depending on what ship you are on they could be some other activies that could be available to you.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
The activies I do after late seating dinner is character photos, movies, bar (they usually have some activity going on), pool, walk around the deck, coffee at Cove Cafe or shopping. Depending on what ship you are on they could be some other activies that could be available to you.
Thank you. The bar is out unfortunately but the movies sound good. I like the idea of some nighttime deck time too. And shopping- duh- lol- I didn't even think of shopping. Are there a lot of shops? We'll be on the Wonder.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Thank you. The bar is out unfortunately but the movies sound good. I like the idea of some nighttime deck time too. And shopping- duh- lol- I didn't even think of shopping. Are there a lot of shops? We'll be on the Wonder.
You are assuming that your son will be with you. It's highly likely he'll have plans of his own to go to Edge and hang out with him friends. The teen boy who was our tablemate at late dining kept a close eye on his watch as he always had plans for 9:30 to midnight. Come to think of it, the 12 year old on our second cruise did too.

Just look at a few navigators and you'll get an idea of what's going on after dinner.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
There 2 shops right across from each other on Deck 4.

Thank you. Do you know what they sell? I'm assuming one sells souvenirs like the resorts gift shops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
You are assuming that your son will be with you. It's highly likely he'll have plans of his own to go to Edge and hang out with him friends. The teen boy who was our tablemate at late dining kept a close eye on his watch as he always had plans for 9:30 to midnight. Come to think of it, the 12 year old on our second cruise did too.

Just look at a few navigators and you'll get an idea of what's going on after dinner.

Nancy

I have thought about that too Nancy and in that case, I'm heading to the bar. He says he wants to hang with me but I think at the first sign of boys his age, he'll ditch me. I'm totally okay with that. The Edge is open until midnight? That's great! I would love a little time in the Rainforest Room or Spa and I'd love a nice drink in a swanky bar.

Good idea on the Navigators. I haven't seen any current Wonder ones lately. I'll search unless you've got a handy link.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know what they sell? I'm assuming one sells souvenirs like the resorts gift shops?
One store sells souvenir type stuff like you would find in the parks. The other sells resort type stuff, clothing, jewelry, purses, etc.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
crundell
Mouseketeer

My little one and I grabbed the extra blanket from our room and went up on deck and watched movies after dinner. It was nice and relaxing. My old two did a couple of things with edge...the only one I can think of off hand was the open arcade till 1am.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
One store sells souvenir type stuff like you would find in the parks. The other sells resort type stuff, clothing, jewelry, purses, etc.
Perfect. DS will have an OBC that I'm sure he'll love spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundell View Post
My little one and I grabbed the extra blanket from our room and went up on deck and watched movies after dinner. It was nice and relaxing. My old two did a couple of things with edge...the only one I can think of off hand was the open arcade till 1am.
Do they do outdoor movies after dinner? If so, that sounds so fun! Thank you!.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
crundell
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Do they do outdoor movies after dinner? If so, that sounds so fun! Thank you!.
Yes, we saw WallE and Nemo after dinner on deck 9 by the pool.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: