Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
emsstacey
Earning My Ears

How many pins for first trip?

We are taking our 8 and 12 year old daughters to Disney this fall. It will be the first time staying multiple days and in a resort. I want to treat them with pins and lanyards when we leave so they will be ready when we get there. I also want to avoid paying full price.

How many pins should I purchase? I found a lot from a trusted seller on ebay that is 77 pins and 3 lanyards for $79 + shipping. (which is high for shipping)

I'm not sure if that is going be more than they really need or not. If so, I found some lanyard starter sets that come with 8 pins on ebay for $18.50 with free shipping.

Which should I do? I don't want to buy the smaller sets if they are just going to want to purchase more pins in the park to trade at full price.

Thanks!
emsstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
shell8558
DIS Veteran

I normally order 20 pins for my kids before we leave for each trip . I find this a good amount for our 7 day trips !
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
adamellis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsstacey View Post
We are taking our 8 and 12 year old daughters to Disney this fall. It will be the first time staying multiple days and in a resort. I want to treat them with pins and lanyards when we leave so they will be ready when we get there. I also want to avoid paying full price.

How many pins should I purchase? I found a lot from a trusted seller on ebay that is 77 pins and 3 lanyards for $79 + shipping. (which is high for shipping)

I'm not sure if that is going be more than they really need or not. If so, I found some lanyard starter sets that come with 8 pins on ebay for $18.50 with free shipping.

Which should I do? I don't want to buy the smaller sets if they are just going to want to purchase more pins in the park to trade at full price.

Thanks!
It depends on how actively you are going to trade. If it will be a casual, every now and then type of thing, I'd say 3 or 4 per day would be plenty. If it's going to be a big part of your Disney experience, maybe increase it to 25-30 per day. I've heard of people going through 50 traders in a day, but pin trading was the main focus of their trip.

I'm sure you guys will have fun! I encourage you to read up on pin trading etiquette before you go, as well as learning about "scrappers". Hope you have a great trip.
adamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I would go with the 77 pins and 3 lanyards. We can easily trade 20 pins per day, but we are pretty big on pin trading so keep that in mind.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
emsstacey
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I'm going to order the 77 pins and 3 lanyards set. I checked out the thread on reputable ebay sellers and the seller is on there. I'm actually going to share it with a friend and her daughter is going to get 1/3.

It sounds like that will start us off well and then if the girls find some special pins, we can purchase those there.
emsstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
CarolinaGirlTiss
Mouseketeer

My husband and I went the first week in April. We love pin trading and we trade frequently. We had 5 days in the park and 2 nights we went to DTD. We loaded our lanyards with 8-10 a day and we ran out! We went to the outlet and fortunately we found some of the baby princess sets for 14.95. They had 7 pins in each so that ended up being about $2 a pin. The one thing I will say though is a lot of the CM lanyards we saw had the same pins on them over and over again.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
MickeyMouseCD524
Mouseketeer

I would go with the 77 pins just make sure you divide them up evenly cause that can easily turn into a fight. I know it did with my nieces. Also if you don't want to break the bank on pins while your there, my father has a rule of "I buy you each one pin per day. After that you pay for it with the money you got from your relatives." Which I always found to be a fair deal, ad the only way I could work him over for another is if I found a Frollo pin (cause he's my favorite character and you can't find him any where). Have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: