Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
Not totally true. There have been studies done that show a link between ADHD and food. Yes, there are some children that diet changes will not help. I have seen people try diet changes and the child not get better. It will not work for everyone but it is worth a try!! I have seen it help more than not.
I may be wrong, but most of those studies show a link between food additives and ADHD-like "behaviors". In other words, some additives cause children to behave as though they have ADHD, but it's not TRUE ADHD. Once you remove the offending foods, the behaviors disappear. This boils down to basic food sensitivity/intolerance. It's not organic ADHD.

The only way to "test" whether your child has organic ADHD is to try stimulant medications. If you see improvement of ADHD symptoms, and an increased ability to focus, you are dealing with real, organic ADHD. If you see no change, your child has some other issue going on. We had to do this to differentiate between ADHD and "Autism symptoms" being the root cause of my son's focus/attention problems. Since Autism causes many of the same issues you see in ADHD, we had to tease it out and make sure that my son actually had ADHD in addition to Autism. Turns out, he does. We saw a dramatic improvement the first day he took medication.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #32
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Adult ADD/ADHD and marriage

If your child has ADD/ADHD, then it is possible that one of the parents has undiagnosed ADD/ADHD. It can have a big impact on your marriage, so I recomend reading:

http://www.adhdmarriage.com/

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #33
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Another thing to think about is how does he react to caffeine. That turned out to be our for pretty sure sign when DD was 3, that she was not ADD/ADHD. If you will research, you will see that studies show that caffeine is sometimes recommended to treat ADD/ADHD because for many kids with ADD/ADHD, caffeine often has the effect of increasing concentration and decreasing excessive motor activity. For those kids that do not have ADD/ADHD, it has the opposite effect. We had never let DD have caffeine. At age 3, my mother let DD have a coke icee because the other flavor the store had was broken. OH MY GOSH! I've never seen anything like it. DD was literally running in circles for 2 hours she was so amped up on the caffeine. It was crazy. Hyper is an understatement. We could not get her to sit down. We didn't get her to bed for over 2 hours after her regular bedtime. A few months later, my mother (who doesn't listen to us) gave her a Dr. Pepper because the machine they were getting a drink out of, was out of Sprite. Same type reaction- the kid went nuts. Caffeine definitely does not focus her or calm her down.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
I may be wrong, but most of those studies show a link between food additives and ADHD-like "behaviors". In other words, some additives cause children to behave as though they have ADHD, but it's not TRUE ADHD. Once you remove the offending foods, the behaviors disappear. This boils down to basic food sensitivity/intolerance. It's not organic ADHD.

The only way to "test" whether your child has organic ADHD is to try stimulant medications. If you see improvement of ADHD symptoms, and an increased ability to focus, you are dealing with real, organic ADHD. If you see no change, your child has some other issue going on. We had to do this to differentiate between ADHD and "Autism symptoms" being the root cause of my son's focus/attention problems. Since Autism causes many of the same issues you see in ADHD, we had to tease it out and make sure that my son actually had ADHD in addition to Autism. Turns out, he does. We saw a dramatic improvement the first day he took medication.
There have been kids that were diagnosed with ADHD by a doctor and put on meds. The meds did help but the parents did not like medicating their children so they sought out other options. They tried changing up the child's diet and saw the ADHD symptoms improve even more than what the drugs did. Diet changes can help!!

I will bow out of this thread now. This is just something I am very passionate about. I did LOTS of research! Then we changed our diet 2 years ago and we are all so much healthier now. It not only helped my son with ADHD, it helped the rest of us. Just do a little research on chemicals in our food. It is disgusting! If we could clean up our food supply we would see less sickness!

OP you have been given lots of great info from everyone! Good luck!

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
If your child has ADD/ADHD, then it is possible that one of the parents has undiagnosed ADD/ADHD. It can have a big impact on your marriage, so I recomend reading:

http://www.adhdmarriage.com/

-Paul
I appreciate everyone's imput. My husband and I don't have ADHD. I am adopted though so we don't know about the gene's on my side.

Ds only hits his sisters. We haven't had any issues with him hitting the kids at preschool or any friends. So I see your point there - and that's probably normal sibling behavior.

He is very social. He makes friends wherever we go. He is even more social than our girls. His preschool teacher said he is very well liked at school. The other moms even tell me their sons talk about him a lot.

Perhaps the neurologist was quick to diagnose him after a 45 minute appointment. We see the OT next month and I will have more questions for her. Ds does wear glasses and just saw his Dr. in February. He is nearsighted in one eye but the other side is perfect.

Thank you all! And I enjoyed the information about diet changes. It's amazing our country allows certain ingredients that other countries deem as dangerous and have banned. And we may go down that road at some point. But I already got the from my dh when I mentioned limiting ds's exposure to preservatives and screens.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
He is very social. He makes friends wherever we go. He is even more social than our girls. His preschool teacher said he is very well liked at school. The other moms even tell me their sons talk about him a lot.
Again, that sounds just like DD. She is extremely outgoing. She kind of collects people wherever we go. When she was in kindergarten, it used to surprise me when we went to her new school because although it is good sized a ton of people always seemed to know her - older kids, other teachers, administrators, staff, other parents. No telling what has come out of her mouth because she is definitely a talker. She is pretty much not scared to say anything to anyone, and she certainly is not afraid to ask "why" or negotiate when she doesn't agree with something. EEK!!! Her teachers have always told us she is well liked. A 45 minute one time appointment is definitely not enough for any valid diagnosis. I would take what you were told with a grain of salt and keep your eyes open.

If the falls just started this year which it sounds like they did, you might have his presciption in his glasses checked, especially if you got them in one of those mall type chains who are notorious for messing up prescriptions. We get DD's at the opthamologist's shop (lenses are ordered and mailed in), but even with that we had one time where after she got a new prescription in her glasses she started complaining she was seeing double. We took her back in and when the shop checked her glasses the lenses were way off of what they were supposed to be.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
Something else to watch out for is the amount of screen time your child gets. (smart phone/tablet/computer/t.v.)

This is true for all kids but those prone to ADHD especially.

As it was explained to me, the over stimulation (even in small amounts) is just too much for smaller brains and can increase the ADHD issues.

Having grown up with ADHD myself there are a few things that will help to make everyone's life a little easier (Even if your child turns out not having ADHD)

1. When large multi step tasks need to be completed break them down into mini tasks and give them out step by step.

(E.X. Instead of "go clean your room" break it down into the steps needed to get the room clean. "Pick your clothes off the floor." "Okay great! Now put your toys in the toy box" etc.)

To many with ADHD the larger a task is the harder it is to find the starting point. By breaking it down into the mini steps you are giving your child a starting point. The task won't seem as daunting.

2. Use timers and turn tasks into beat the clock games. (Make sure time set is a realistic time frame for the task to get done. Don't set them up for failure)

Many have found that having a set time helps to keep the focus on the task at hand. When the attention starts to drift they see the timer and are reminded of the real task at hand.

I once heard someone describe ADHD the following way and have always thought it was probably the best way for someone without ADHD to get an idea of what ADHD feels like to the ADHD person:

"You are driving down the highway trying to get somewhere, say Disney world. Now in a normal car you sit behind the drivers seat and are in full control of the direction your car travels. SO you drive straight there.

But the ADHD car has a small quirk to it. It will choose to vere off the highway forcing you to take exit after exit. As the Driver of the ADHD car you don't have full control to stop the car from taking these exits. Will you eventually get to Disney World? Most likely but the Driver and passengers stuck in the ADHD car are going to take a lot longer to get there and if everyone stuck in the car isn't working together its going to be one very LONG frustrating ride."

As a passenger in the ADHD car its your job to help your child the "Driver" to cope with the quirky car and help him/her do their best to keep the car on the highway as much as possible and to help him/her get the car back on the highway when the car does take a side trip.

With the right coaching and counseling ADHD is very manageable. The key most important key is structure and organization. The more organization there is the better of your child will be.
There is also research saying screen time has no effect. While I can see that with these hyper cartoons, I don't see that with just internet and gaming.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Again, that sounds just like DD. She is extremely outgoing. She kind of collects people wherever we go. When she was in kindergarten, it used to surprise me when we went to her new school because although it is good sized a ton of people always seemed to know her - older kids, other teachers, administrators, staff, other parents. No telling what has come out of her mouth because she is definitely a talker. She is pretty much not scared to say anything to anyone, and she certainly is not afraid to ask "why" or negotiate when she doesn't agree with something. EEK!!! Her teachers have always told us she is well liked. A 45 minute one time appointment is definitely not enough for any valid diagnosis. I would take what you were told with a grain of salt and keep your eyes open.

If the falls just started this year which it sounds like they did, you might have his presciption in his glasses checked, especially if you got them in one of those mall type chains who are notorious for messing up prescriptions. We get DD's at the opthamologist's shop (lenses are ordered and mailed in), but even with that we had one time where after she got a new prescription in her glasses she started complaining she was seeing double. We took her back in and when the shop checked her glasses the lenses were way off of what they were supposed to be.
That's the strange thing - the falls have been going on since he was 2. Sometimes worse than others but I started noticing them at that age.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood

That's the strange thing - the falls have been going on since he was 2. Sometimes worse than others but I started noticing them at that age.
My younger son (7) was a BIG baby and toddler. He was super clumsy when he started walking at 13 months. Would walk right into walls, fall down a lot, etc. He outgrew it around 5 but he is still clumsy from time to time. He stumbles when he runs too fast and he is just not very body aware. He is really good at stuff requiring balance though, like bike riding. He went straight to a two wheeler at 4. But, if you demonstrate some body movements to him and ask him to copy you, he can NEVER do it right. I'm talking easy stuff too. He just has a big problem with visual perception. He reads and spells very well though. No issues there. He has been vision tested twice and his vision is actually close to 20/10! He is somewhere on the autism spectrum. He has a lot of sensory integration issues. He does NOT have ADHD. That is my other son.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
My younger son (7) was a BIG baby and toddler. He was super clumsy when he started walking at 13 months. Would walk right into walls, fall down a lot, etc. He outgrew it around 5 but he is still clumsy from time to time. He stumbles when he runs too fast and he is just not very body aware. He is really good at stuff requiring balance though, like bike riding. He went straight to a two wheeler at 4. But, if you demonstrate some body movements to him and ask him to copy you, he can NEVER do it right. I'm talking easy stuff too. He just has a big problem with visual perception. He reads and spells very well though. No issues there. He has been vision tested twice and his vision is actually close to 20/10! He is somewhere on the autism spectrum. He has a lot of sensory integration issues. He does NOT have ADHD. That is my other son.
I know something is definitely going on that needs to be addressed. Besides excessively falling down, he does have trouble focusing and paying attention, following multiple directions and he hides behind me when he is feeling overwhelmed. For example, when I drop him off at preschool he really wants to warm up to the room, taking his time to find something to do before talking to the other kids. I don't know if this is his personality or a symptom of a bigger issue. He will get upset and hide behind me if a bunch of kids charge towards him wanting to talk. He is fine once he has a few minutes to look around. He loves playing with other kids and like I said he is very social but he is slow to transition in the mornings to school. I know he is the only kid that has this problem at school so it seems unusual. We see the OT next month and hopefully she can help us out.

I know the autism spectrum is very big. But I'm assuming since he is so social and outgoing around other kids (loves to play with new kids on the playground, never shy or withdrawn) that he wouldn't have autism. I assume this is something else - whether it's ADHD, Sensory Issues, Giftedness or something else.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood

I know something is definitely going on that needs to be addressed. Besides excessively falling down, he does have trouble focusing and paying attention, following multiple directions and he hides behind me when he is feeling overwhelmed. For example, when I drop him off at preschool he really wants to warm up to the room, taking his time to find something to do before talking to the other kids. I don't know if this is his personality or a symptom of a bigger issue. He will get upset and hide behind me if a bunch of kids charge towards him wanting to talk. He is fine once he has a few minutes to look around. He loves playing with other kids and like I said he is very social but he is slow to transition in the mornings to school. I know he is the only kid that has this problem at school so it seems unusual. We see the OT next month and hopefully she can help us out.

I know the autism spectrum is very big. But I'm assuming since he is so social and outgoing around other kids (loves to play with new kids on the playground, never shy or withdrawn) that he wouldn't have autism. I assume this is something else - whether it's ADHD, Sensory Issues, Giftedness or something else.
My younger son is quite a puzzle. We are not sure what's up with him. No one can really come up with an accurate diagnosis because he has some (but not enough) criteria for Autism. But, he's definitely got issues. He's been receiving therapy since he was one and a half and he is in special education under the Autism criteria. It works for us. Your son may just be clumsy and shy. Nothing wrong with that. Or, there might be more going on. You'll figure it out.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #42
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Just to update in case anyone is interested - we saw an OT today. She threw out sensory processing disorder. Honestly after filling out her evaluation form, he doesn't have many of the "symptoms" for that. He is behind in some fine motor skills and very ahead in others so he is going to an OT to at least treat for that. She will finish her report and give me a plan of action in two weeks when we see her again.

So I called the nurse at our ped's office who specializes in ADHD. She is really knowledgable. She said SPD is a possibility but it is often used to describe problems that are difficult to diagnose. She said OT would definitely improve SPD if that is what is happening.

Overall she thought my son might just need more time to mature. Or he might find preschool boring so he checks out. He does have trouble following directions at home too so maybe we're boring too. She did not buy into the neurologist's quick diagnosis ADHD based on the falling.

The OT had him do a lot of balance tests and he failed every one. Hmmm, sounds like that could account for all the falling! So for now we go to the OT. Our copay is $30 a week so that is making dh feel a little . But hopefully it will help!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #43
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Active-.../dp/1884734774Active Alert

I've been reading this book for work (I teach preschool) and it discusses that TRUE ADHD is very rare and that these kids can be considered "active alert".

It's an interesting read.

An article talking about Active Alert

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
Coaliesquirrel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Most ADHD medications are not approved for children under 6. There are a couple approved for kids 3 and up, but there really is no need to medicate such young kids, as the demands placed upon them at school are not worth it. This might be why the doctor said he might be "diagnosed" at a later age. Diagnosis means nothing if you are not planning to do anything about it.
I would strongly differ with this assessment. DD was diagnosed at 4.5 and we started nonstimulant medication. Screw school - it made our HOME LIFE tolerable. DD wasn't constantly getting in trouble, we weren't feeling like the meanies all the time. It was life-changing for ALL of us, period. This year in preschool has been a 180 change from last year when even the other kids in her class talked about her getting in trouble all the time and her fine motor skills are incredible compared to last year -- because she can take the time to actually try to write her letters properly. She's had a HUGE boost in self-esteem this year, too, because she knows she CAN control herself and she doesn't feel like the "bad kid" all the time. Preschool may not be advanced academics, but it's the start of her school career, and we are committed to making sure she has positive feelings about school and her ability to do what's expected. Her medication has made a big improvement in her ability to make friends, too. Now, she can slow down long enough to pay attention to what others want to do, and she's not so impulsive in taking things away, etc.

In our case, DH and his mom both have ADHD, so it's not at all unexpected for us. But, I am absolutely not exaggerating when I say addressing DD's ADHD has made our own personal world a much better place. We can *enjoy* her again instead of being constantly frustrated with her. So, if you've got good reason to think even a very young child has ADHD, it's really a help to EVERYONE around the child to address it as early as possible. You can baby-step your way in, starting with behavior modification and parenting strategies, but if you don't find success, please don't be afraid to start on the meds path, especially with nonstimulants. It can be SO helpful.
Coaliesquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: