Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Table requests

Hi all,
For my upcoming trip I have made ADRs based on the theme of the restaurants as much as the food. I understand that the theme is often heightened if you are lucky enough to get certain tables.

When I arrive at restaurants I plan on requesting such tables in the hope that we get at least a few of them (I realise that nothing is guaranteed).

I was wondering if anyone had any hints that might help me secure these requests. e.g. Does arriving as close to restaurant opening time as possible increase your chances?

Below are the the restaurants I'll be eating at and the requests I'll be making. Are these tables as desirable as I'm thinking? Should I be requesting something different? Or perhaps it shouldn't matter to me where we sit? All opinions welcome. If it makes a difference, we are a party of 2 adults and a son who will be turning 6 on the last full day of our trip.

Sci-Fi Diner - would like to sit in a car.

San Angel Inn - a view of the water ride

Prime Time Cafe - next to a TV

Sanaa - a window seat (this will be my son's birthday dinner and it's the request that I'm most hopeful for)

Raglan Rd - a seat with a view of the band and/or dancer

T-Rex - I think this is more a case of what I don't want. Anywhere but the blue room. I imagine that blue lighting makes your food look pretty unappetising?

I will be also eating at the following places and don't plan on making any requests. Are there any special table-types I don't know about that I should try requesting?

Liberty Tree Tavern
Biergarten (can you see the band from all tables?)
Yak and Yeti
Tusker House (breakfast)
Ohana (dinner)
Boma (breakfast)

Thanks in advance for your help

WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Poohs100AcreWood
Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff

When I ate at Sci-Fi last year, they put ones with ADRs in the cars, and walk-ups in the tables behind. At least, that's what I head the staff talking about when a walk-up asked for a car table.

At San Angel Inn, you can see the ride and volcano from about three-four tables back, so depending on your ADR time, you have a good chance of getting a close table. I had a really early ADR and it was really empty.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohs100AcreWood View Post
When I ate at Sci-Fi last year, they put ones with ADRs in the cars, and walk-ups in the tables behind. At least, that's what I head the staff talking about when a walk-up asked for a car table.

At San Angel Inn, you can see the ride and volcano from about three-four tables back, so depending on your ADR time, you have a good chance of getting a close table. I had a really early ADR and it was really empty.
Thanks heaps for your feedback.
I have a 6pm ADR for San Angel Inn, but I was wondering if I should bring it forward to closer to 5pm?
I have no other ADRs booked for that day, so an early dinner would probably be quite welcoming.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Sci-Fi Diner - Would like to sit in a car. The cars are the best spots but you'll have to wait as most people request this. You might end up waiting longer but it will be worth it

San Angel Inn - a view of the water ride. This isn't as requested as the cars at Sci-Fi but it's a nice spot. You might have to wait but it's worth it.

Prime Time Cafe - next to a TV This one doesn't much that much difference. Most tables can see a TV. One problem you will have with a table near a TV is that surrounding people want to come over and take a photo with the TV. Annoying if you're sitting at that table.

Sanaa - a window seat (this will be my son's birthday dinner and it's the request that I'm most hopeful for) This one could prove to be difficult, depending on how busy they are. Honestly, everyone wants a window seat. Make sure you have the birthday note on the reservation as this might "help" Be prepared to wait a little longer and maybe even turn up a little earlier. Even from one row back, you'll still be able to see the animals

Raglan Rd - a seat with a view of the band and/or dancer This is a very popular restaurant so it will depend on how busy they are. The closer you are, the louder it it but it's a good spot.

T-Rex - I think this is more a case of what I don't want. Anywhere but the blue room. I imagine that blue lighting makes your food look pretty unappetising? The lights aren't that strong that it makes your food look that different. Something to keep in mind, the closer you are to the dinosaurs, the louder it will be for you. Also, people come over to take photos with the dinosaurs so if this will bother you, ask for a table away from any of the dinosaurs. You can move around the dining room to take photos at your leisure. Off topic, if you like chicken, order the Fire roasted Rotisserie Chicken. YUM! Get the Waffle Fries. Yummy (and now I'm hungry.... )

Liberty Tree Tavern - Anywhere is fine
Biergarten (can you see the band from all tables?) Yes, you can. Your view might be obstructed from other people/tables but you can see them
Yak and Yeti Anywhere is fine
Tusker House (breakfast)Anywhere away from the buffet. There is a great spot, it's a little tucked away and only has about 6 tables, 3 couples tables and 3 tables for 6 people. The parade doesn't come past your table and it's a little quieter. I don't know how you would request that spot since it's a little hard to describe.
Ohana (dinner) Ask for a table near the windows but away from the kitchen. They're great seats, even at night.
Boma (breakfast) Ask for a table with a view of the pool. It's a nice spot and a little away from the main hustle and bustle.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I would always want a table by the rail at San Angel. We had an ADR at lunch at the earliest time and requested to be by the railing. No problem because there was no one else there, but those tables filled up immediately. If you can switch your ADR to 5pm rather than 6 and then check in a bit early, you probably would have a better chance at a table along the water. You can always grab a margarita from La Cava Del Tequila while you wait!

We prefer to be seated at a table down near the dance floor at Biergarten so that we can supervise our children easily since they love to dance, but all sections of seating are good.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Hi all,
For my upcoming trip I have made ADRs based on the theme of the restaurants as much as the food. I understand that the theme is often heightened if you are lucky enough to get certain tables.

When I arrive at restaurants I plan on requesting such tables in the hope that we get at least a few of them (I realise that nothing is guaranteed).

I was wondering if anyone had any hints that might help me secure these requests. e.g. Does arriving as close to restaurant opening time as possible increase your chances?

Below are the the restaurants I'll be eating at and the requests I'll be making. Are these tables as desirable as I'm thinking? Should I be requesting something different? Or perhaps it shouldn't matter to me where we sit? All opinions welcome. If it makes a difference, we are a party of 2 adults and a son who will be turning 6 on the last full day of our trip.

Sanaa - a window seat (this will be my son's birthday dinner and it's the request that I'm most hopeful for)

T-Rex - I think this is more a case of what I don't want. Anywhere but the blue room. I imagine that blue lighting makes your food look pretty unappetising?

I will be also eating at the following places and don't plan on making any requests. Are there any special table-types I don't know about that I should try requesting?

Liberty Tree Tavern
Yak and Yeti
Tusker House (breakfast)
Ohana (dinner)
Boma (breakfast)

My only suggestion to you is about T-Rex. If you don't want the ice cave (blue room) which is where they seated us, you will need to tell them right when you check in and be prepared to wait, maybe a very long time because that place stays packed full of people at all times and if they were planning on seating you in the blue room but you ask not to be who knows when a table will open up in another section. I would just suggest you be prepared to wait. Don't go there in a hurry or starving.

But as far as the blue room making your food look unappetizing. It is just a blue hue to the room. It doesn't change the appearance of your food. Your food still looks like your food only it is kind of darker in that room. The lights change colors but it stays mostly Blue.

T-Rex is very loud and crowded. You can't really talk to the ppl around you very well because of the noise. And it was very slow service. From the time we checked in until the time we paid the bill and left was 2 hours. Not sure if that is the norm for that place or if we just went on an off day but it was our longest meal of the entire trip.

We just ate at 50's Prime Time last Wednesday and it was very good. We didn't ask to be seated by a TV but we checked in about 5 minutes after they opened and all the tables were pretty much empty and the elderly gentleman who seated us told us he had a very good table for us. We had never been there so we had no idea what he meant but then we saw he was sitting us at a table with a TV. If you go once a lot of the tables are already filled you may have to wait quite a while for a table with a TV because there aren't that many in each room. But you can pretty much see the TV from other tables. I don't remember even hearing the TV at our table so I am not sure if they had the volume way down or if it is usually muted but we didn't watch the TV.

The servers there are pretty playful and will get onto you if you put your elbows on the table or especially if you pull out an Ipod or a phone they will really scold you to put it away. That happened to us, twice! My server also gave me a hard time because I didn't even eat half my food. BUT JEEZ they brought me out a Caesar salad with Salmon and the salad was big enough for about 4 ppl to eat it and had a HUGE piece of Salmon on it. I ate about a quarter of the salad and about half the piece of Salmon. I couldn't eat any more than that. Not for lunch anyway. But I highly recommend this place for the service and the food. DH had the fried Chicken and he said it was very good.

If you want your table requests met I would highly suggest you change all your lunch ADR's to 11 am and all your dinner ADR's to 5 pm. Get there right when they open for that meal.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all,

We've never made a special request to be seated in a car, & we've always been seated in a car.

We've eaten here once, & I did ask if we could sit by the water. We had to wait FOREVER to be seated, but we were eventually seated by the water. After we had waited for about 30 minutes, I even went back up to the podium, & said it'd be fine to seat us wherever! LOL! I think we waited an extra 45 minutes or so... If I remember correctly, we had an ADR around 6:00 pm. If we decide to eat here again, I would schedule an earlier ADR.

We've never eaten here... we've always eaten at Sci-Fi & Mama Melrose's while at DHS.

We've never eaten here either, but I would also probably make a window seat request as well - especially for a birthday dinner. When you check-in, I would let them know you're celebrating a birthday & ask if it would be possible to be seated by a window.

This is another restaurant that we haven't had tried yet, but I would also probably request a table near the band & dancer. If I'm eating there, I want to see the entertainment!

We have eaten at T-Rex, & I think I actually requested to eat in the blue room - it's supposed to be quieter, if it's the same area I'm thinking of. I don't know... I requested to sit in the ocean room. Is that the blue room? At the time, younger DS was only 2, & I was worried that the noise might scare him. We were seated next the wall, & we actually had a really nice table. The blue room is really pretty & unique - I love the huge octopus that's suspended from the ceiling. And I didn't notice it making our food appear blue or less appetizing.

Liberty Tree Tavern
Yak and Yeti
Tusker House (breakfast)
Ohana (dinner)
Boma (breakfast)

At Liberty Tree Tavern, I normally ask to be seated in the Benjamin Franklin Room - not that it's more "special," but it's always been "tradition" for us to eat in that room.

I've read that the upstairs dining room at Yak & Yeti is really nice. I've never requested to eat upstairs, though. We've always been seated downstairs, however, & its been fine.

At 'Ohana, I normally ask to sit at a table where we can see the castle - because we're usually eating there on our last night, & I want it to be "special". LOL! But there can be long waits at 'Ohana even w/ an ADR, so I try to schedule an earlier dinner time.

At Boma, the window tables are nice, but I don't specifically request a table by the windows.

My responses are in red! Hope this helps some!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 12 years) (DS, 4 years)

Last edited by Wendy31; 04-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) The new method of seat assignments
. . . you check in at podium with the GREETER/SEATER
. . . the ressie goes into the table waiting queue
. . . an ASSIGNER walks around with handheld tablet computer
. . . when a table opens, the next ressie with the number of guests pops up
. . . the ASSIGNER places that ressie to that next table
. . . the podium is notified the table is ready by a slip printing out
. . . the podium hands the SEATER the table slip
. . . the slip had table, number adults/kids, DDP/OOP/TIW/etc
. . . the SEATER shows the guests to the assigned table
. . . the SEATER passes the slip to the SERVER
. . . the SERVER meets the guests, confirms slip info, starts service
2) The guest cannot request a table at podium, as they don't talk to SEATER
3) A friendly GREETER may personally communicate with an ASSIGNER.
4) But, usually too busy.
5) Due to assignment, guests can't just ask for a different table while walking.
6) SOMETIMES, the guest can ask for a specific table, and the ASSIGNER will OK it.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) The new method of seat assignments
. . . you check in at podium with the GREETER/SEATER
. . . the ressie goes into the table waiting queue
. . . an ASSIGNER walks around with handheld tablet computer
. . . when a table opens, the next ressie with the number of guests pops up
. . . the ASSIGNER places that ressie to that next table
. . . the podium is notified the table is ready by a slip printing out
. . . the podium hands the SEATER the table slip
. . . the slip had table, number adults/kids, DDP/OOP/TIW/etc
. . . the SEATER shows the guests to the assigned table
. . . the SEATER passes the slip to the SERVER
. . . the SERVER meets the guests, confirms slip info, starts service
2) The guest cannot request a table at podium, as they don't talk to SEATER
3) A friendly GREETER may personally communicate with an ASSIGNER.
4) But, usually too busy.
5) Due to assignment, guests can't just ask for a different table while walking.
6) SOMETIMES, the guest can ask for a specific table, and the ASSIGNER will OK it.
Thanks RustyScupper. That wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but it's good to know anyway.

I think I'll try to make a few requests anyway, but I know now not get my hopes up at all.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I would always want a table by the rail at San Angel. We had an ADR at lunch at the earliest time and requested to be by the railing. No problem because there was no one else there, but those tables filled up immediately. If you can switch your ADR to 5pm rather than 6 and then check in a bit early, you probably would have a better chance at a table along the water. You can always grab a margarita from La Cava Del Tequila while you wait!

We prefer to be seated at a table down near the dance floor at Biergarten so that we can supervise our children easily since they love to dance, but all sections of seating are good.
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to try and switch my ADR to closer to 5pm today.
Also, good point about Biergarten.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 04-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
My responses are in red! Hope this helps some!
Your answers certainly help. Thanks heaps!

The blue room is the ice cave room. I wouldn't mind the undersea room at all.
But going from what other posters have written, I won't bother requesting a room at T-Rex. It sounds as though the ice cave room isn't as bad as I thought.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
My only suggestion to you is about T-Rex. If you don't want the ice cave (blue room) which is where they seated us, you will need to tell them right when you check in and be prepared to wait, maybe a very long time because that place stays packed full of people at all times and if they were planning on seating you in the blue room but you ask not to be who knows when a table will open up in another section. I would just suggest you be prepared to wait. Don't go there in a hurry or starving.

But as far as the blue room making your food look unappetizing. It is just a blue hue to the room. It doesn't change the appearance of your food. Your food still looks like your food only it is kind of darker in that room. The lights change colors but it stays mostly Blue.

T-Rex is very loud and crowded. You can't really talk to the ppl around you very well because of the noise. And it was very slow service. From the time we checked in until the time we paid the bill and left was 2 hours. Not sure if that is the norm for that place or if we just went on an off day but it was our longest meal of the entire trip.

We just ate at 50's Prime Time last Wednesday and it was very good. We didn't ask to be seated by a TV but we checked in about 5 minutes after they opened and all the tables were pretty much empty and the elderly gentleman who seated us told us he had a very good table for us. We had never been there so we had no idea what he meant but then we saw he was sitting us at a table with a TV. If you go once a lot of the tables are already filled you may have to wait quite a while for a table with a TV because there aren't that many in each room. But you can pretty much see the TV from other tables. I don't remember even hearing the TV at our table so I am not sure if they had the volume way down or if it is usually muted but we didn't watch the TV.

The servers there are pretty playful and will get onto you if you put your elbows on the table or especially if you pull out an Ipod or a phone they will really scold you to put it away. That happened to us, twice! My server also gave me a hard time because I didn't even eat half my food. BUT JEEZ they brought me out a Caesar salad with Salmon and the salad was big enough for about 4 ppl to eat it and had a HUGE piece of Salmon on it. I ate about a quarter of the salad and about half the piece of Salmon. I couldn't eat any more than that. Not for lunch anyway. But I highly recommend this place for the service and the food. DH had the fried Chicken and he said it was very good.

If you want your table requests met I would highly suggest you change all your lunch ADR's to 11 am and all your dinner ADR's to 5 pm. Get there right when they open for that meal.

Thanks for the feedback
I think my son will love T-Rex, but I am worried about the noise levels. I think it will be a case of just ordering an entree each and then heading to the DTD ice cream shop later on for dessert. It sounds as though the ice room isn't as bad as I imagined. I certainly don't want to be there 2 hours, so will probably just go with whatever table they give us and hope that the wait isn't that long.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed 50's Diner. We don't really want to watch the TV, I just liked the idea of sitting next to one for some cool photo-ops. It sounds like it won't be too much of an issue if we miss out.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Sci-Fi Diner - Would like to sit in a car. The cars are the best spots but you'll have to wait as most people request this. You might end up waiting longer but it will be worth it

San Angel Inn - a view of the water ride. This isn't as requested as the cars at Sci-Fi but it's a nice spot. You might have to wait but it's worth it.

Prime Time Cafe - next to a TV This one doesn't much that much difference. Most tables can see a TV. One problem you will have with a table near a TV is that surrounding people want to come over and take a photo with the TV. Annoying if you're sitting at that table.

Good to know

Sanaa - a window seat (this will be my son's birthday dinner and it's the request that I'm most hopeful for) This one could prove to be difficult, depending on how busy they are. Honestly, everyone wants a window seat. Make sure you have the birthday note on the reservation as this might "help" Be prepared to wait a little longer and maybe even turn up a little earlier. Even from one row back, you'll still be able to see the animals

I imagine they would be very popular. I have his birthday noted on the reservation and our ADR is for 5:05pm. I'm really hopeful with this one as it isn't just his birthday, but it's also our last meal before heading home early the next morning. I imagine we will all be starting to feel a bit sad that our holiday is almost over, so I'm going to do what I can to try and make this last meal feel special.

Raglan Rd - a seat with a view of the band and/or dancer This is a very popular restaurant so it will depend on how busy they are. The closer you are, the louder it it but it's a good spot.

T-Rex - I think this is more a case of what I don't want. Anywhere but the blue room. I imagine that blue lighting makes your food look pretty unappetising? The lights aren't that strong that it makes your food look that different. Something to keep in mind, the closer you are to the dinosaurs, the louder it will be for you. Also, people come over to take photos with the dinosaurs so if this will bother you, ask for a table away from any of the dinosaurs. You can move around the dining room to take photos at your leisure. Off topic, if you like chicken, order the Fire roasted Rotisserie Chicken. YUM! Get the Waffle Fries. Yummy (and now I'm hungry.... )

Liberty Tree Tavern - Anywhere is fine
Biergarten (can you see the band from all tables?) Yes, you can. Your view might be obstructed from other people/tables but you can see them
Yak and Yeti Anywhere is fine
Tusker House (breakfast)Anywhere away from the buffet. There is a great spot, it's a little tucked away and only has about 6 tables, 3 couples tables and 3 tables for 6 people. The parade doesn't come past your table and it's a little quieter. I don't know how you would request that spot since it's a little hard to describe.
Ohana (dinner) Ask for a table near the windows but away from the kitchen. They're great seats, even at night.
Boma (breakfast) Ask for a table with a view of the pool. It's a nice spot and a little away from the main hustle and bustle.
Thank you so much Disney princess. You have been a wealth of helpful information to me planning this trip and I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much Disney princess. You have been a wealth of helpful information to me planning this trip and I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
Glad I could help

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Just changed my San Angel dinner to an opening time (11:30am) lunch. I'm hoping at that time it will be lovely and quiet and we'll get a table against the railing.

I swapped days with Biergarten which is now a dinner instead of a lunch. Hopefully I made the right choice. Biergarten seems to be quite a bit more expensive at dinner time.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: