Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #61
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

When they get around to realizing they need a Minivan, I recommend the Toyota Sienna. I know it's not American, but I love mine. The area behind the third row is actually roomier than you would expect because it is so deep. And the leg room is great for adults, even in the 3rd row.

DD1 (13), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #62
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
The Audi Q7 will get them most of the way there, with the exception of American. There is tons of room in the back with the 3rd row up, but not enough for a double stroller and groceries. The only way to get that is with a van.
The best thing about the Audi is the split seat in the back because she could drop one side for the stroller and keep the other side up to harness groceries.
I understand her desire to keep the seats up, I like to keep mine up because I'm short and reaching for groceries is hard when they are down.
Only concern with Audi is they have the worst reliabiliity of any vehicle sold in the U.S.
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #63
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Only concern with Audi is they have the worst reliabiliity of any vehicle sold in the U.S.
Really? I've never heard that before. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and I have over 100,000 miles and the only issue I've had is the button to lock the door on the drivers side broke, which they fixed.
Does it make a difference that it's a diesel?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #64
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

None of the German makes (other than Mercedes) has good long term reliability, and they are all expensive to fix.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #65
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
On that note, our Acadia has a 1/3 2/3 split folding third row. With just the 1/3 down, you could still put two kids in the 3rd row, although probably not with safety seats. And you could still get the stroller in that way. I would imagine other vehicles have a similar setup.
I have a Traverse (so the same platform) The side by side double strollers most likely won't fit on the 1/3 side unless you put it on its side and then I'd be scared it would flop around the whole time potentially move forward and fall on the passengers in the 3rd row. My single stroller barely fits laying flat when the 3rd row is 2/3 up.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #66
skuttle
Counting the days until our next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post

I have a Traverse (so the same platform) The side by side double strollers most likely won't fit on the 1/3 side unless you put it on its side and then I'd be scared it would flop around the whole time potentially move forward and fall on the passengers in the 3rd row. My single stroller barely fits laying flat when the 3rd row is 2/3 up.
I have a traverse and a side by side double stroller. My double fits in the back with the third row up. A few groceries would also fit, but not many. When I fold down 1/3rd of the 3rd row, my double can slide into that spot and I don't find it moves much.

We have 3 kids so someone is always in the 3rd row.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #67
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
For that 1% of the time she needs someone to sit back there. :confused she doesn't want to deal with putting it up.
If putting the third row up or down is an issue, the Ford Explorer has the easiest system Ive ever seen. There is a button in the back and its all automatic. Easy and no hassle.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #68
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

My parents leased a Mercedes R Class and I actually prefer my minivan. My parents had the option to buy the car at a pretty good price at the end of their lease. They offered me the chance to do so and I elected not to.

More and more families I know around here are getting minivans after they woke up to the fact that they are so practical for carpools and lugging around sports and camping gear.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #69
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post

If putting the third row up or down is an issue, the Ford Explorer has the easiest system Ive ever seen. There is a button in the back and its all automatic. Easy and no hassle.
My husbands company car is a 2012 explorer. I can't advise against it strongly enough. It has had a ton of problems. Don't get me started on sync. Due to a lift gate malfunction we had about $2500 worth of personal property stolen from the back. The car was locked. It spontaneously opens. There are many people complaining about it online.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #70
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcufrog View Post
My parents leased a Mercedes R Class and I actually prefer my minivan. My parents had the option to buy the car at a pretty good price at the end of their lease. They offered me the chance to do so and I elected not to.

More and more families I know around here are getting minivans after they woke up to the fact that they are so practical for carpools and lugging around sports and camping gear.
A minivan is definitely a better option, but the OP said her friends were too snobby to drive one. So, I mentioned that the R-class (a disguised minivan) may meet their elite needs

Of course, the huge door that has to open instead of sliding would cause the same problems in the garage as her Edge.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #71
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
My good friend and her husband are looking for a new vehicle. They know I work in the industry and asked me what vehicles they should look at.

They currently drive a Ford Edge. They have 2 children under 2. Here is what they are looking for:

1. 3rd row seating
2. Lots of cargo space, with the 3rd row of seating UP. She likes to leave their double stroller and all of their gear in the trunk all the time, and still have room for groceries.
3. Nothing too long. He really wants an Expedition or Tahoe, but she can barely handle driving the Edge, and they both crash in to stuff all the time (even with the backup alarm). I can't tell you how many times I've had to park it or back it out of a spot for her because she can't do it. The new vehicle is supposed to be her primary vehicle, but if they get something too big she will keep the Edge as hers for daytime trips with the kids.
4. Nothing too wide. Right now they can only open one door in the Edge if they have both cars in their garage. To get the whole family in, they have to back the Edge out of the garage first.
5. MPG isn't an issue.
6. Neither is price.
7. No mini-vans.
8. He wants American made. Ford is first choice, GM second. Really doesn't want to consider a Chrysler product.

I honestly don't know what to tell them. I was thinking Explorer, or Acadia/Enclave. I know all of those either have the 3rd row standard or as an option, but I've heard that the trunk space is very minimal with the 3rd row of seats up. They won't use the 3rd row very often, but they don't want to leave it down, and they don't want to use it to store stuff.

Is there a vehicle I'm missing that I could recommend they check out?
Didn't read any of the other replies but what about a Chevy equinox? Too small perhaps?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #72
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttle View Post
I have a traverse and a side by side double stroller. My double fits in the back with the third row up. A few groceries would also fit, but not many. When I fold down 1/3rd of the 3rd row, my double can slide into that spot and I don't find it moves much.

We have 3 kids so someone is always in the 3rd row.
What do you have as a double? We need a double and I'd love to know what fits in that spot because I know once #2 arrives this fall we are going to be using the 3rd row so much more.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #73
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I guess I'm confused as to why a third row. Two kids and a bunch of stuff seems like exactly the sort of reason the SUV-crossover was invented. (I'm a fan of the station wagon, but those are practically nonexistent.) Yes, she won't be able to fit more people than her family in the car, but if that's actually only needed 1% of the time, perhaps it's not a good reason to limit her options. There are plenty of perfectly nice, easy-to-handle cars that don't have a third row but fit all the other options just fine.
We only have two kids, but the 3rd row was a must have for me because even when my kids were very young I could see that I would need to drive my friends' kids around if I wanted to rely on them driving mine around! The first 3row vehicle we had, the 3rd row was very difficult to put into place (Lexus) and so I made sure our next vehicle, the 3rd row was very easy to put up and down. (Volvo XC 90). I loved station wagons whe I was a kid because back then the kids could all lay in the back! not an option nowadays!
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
mom2aandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #74
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We also just have the two kids, but love the third row. That said, by the time we started hauling other kids around, the strollers were long gone.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #75
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Really? I've never heard that before. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and I have over 100,000 miles and the only issue I've had is the button to lock the door on the drivers side broke, which they fixed.
Does it make a difference that it's a diesel?
Number 1 on the worst list
http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/bre...-lists-10.html

Doesn't specify fuel type.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: