Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #46
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

If they only have two kids, why does the third row always have to be up?

We leave ours down 90 percent of the time.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
ICF
DIS Veteran

I'd suggest a Flex, the 3rd row has good leg room and there is decent storage behind the 3rd row.

If not that, they may have to go with a Van.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #48
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
If they only have two kids, why does the third row always have to be up?

We leave ours down 90 percent of the time.
For that 1% of the time she needs someone to sit back there. :confused she doesn't want to deal with putting it up.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #49
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralliam View Post
It's not American but the Mazda 5 might be a good option. It drives like a car, actually a lot of fun to drive. Storage behind the 3rd row is not very much but it is a 50/50 back seat and takes literally about 15 seconds to fold it back out. It's pretty narrow as well and the doors are sliding like a minivan but don't look like it.
Ick. I have a Mazda 5 and I HATE it. While it was fun to drive (before the suspension went ... twice and the clutch died and the a/c died) and it is quite roomy with the 3rd row seats down, the fit and finish is totally horrible. Look at it crosseyed and the bumper bolts break off or the quarter panel dents. The Consumer Reports review for the Mazda 5 and it is a mass of well deserved black dots.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #50
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

A friend of mine with 3 kids always has the 3rd row of her Odyssey up. She can easily fit her double stroller in the trunk along with lots of other stuff. The 3rd row is very easy to put up and down. You can also fit 3 carseats or two carseats and an adult in the second row. The first options is a pain but doable and I've done the second many times.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #51
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

Maybe you could suggest they rent a minivan for a few days. With the slider doors you don't have to worry about opening the doors so much. Heck, even the driver can enter that way if you don't put the tray up between the front seats. I have a Toyota Sienna which was made in Indiana.

Ever notice a lot of us older folks drive minivans? We often need them for our scooters or wheelchairs but the seats allow your legs to bend and are much more comfortable on the arthritic knees than a sedan where your legs are out straight. That position forces your knees back and down which is very painful. It is also much easier getting in and out of a minivan.

Your friends don't seem very flexible. Try renting a couple different vehicles or borrowing if possible. Good luck.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #52
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
For that 1% of the time she needs someone to sit back there. :confused she doesn't want to deal with putting it up.
I have a Honda Odyssey and it takes about 30 seconds to put the seat up (or down), and it is a one-handed job. But I really like my mini-van.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #53
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll mention the flex to them again.
But the Flex does not meet the need to be narrower than the Edge. The Flex is a wiiiidddde vehicle. And big. I was thinking of one until I drove my Expedition next to one and realized how big it was -it was as big, if not bigger than my Expedition.

They could try the Mercedes R-class series. They stopped making them in 2012 but it is essentially a minivan without the sliding door, so no "van" image. A 2012 will still run them big bucks, but if money is not a problem, it might be one to look at. Even if it is not domestic. And it is known for comfortably seating adults in the third row.

Cargo

Cargo space is another one of the R-Class’ strengths. The R-Class provides 15.2 cubic feet with all three rows of seats in use, 42.2 cubic feet with the third row folded down and 85 cubic feet with the second and third rows folded down. That maximum capacity beats its sibling, the Mercedes M-Class, as well as less expensive competitors like the Audi Q7. A power liftgate is optional, and reviewers say the R-Class has plenty of storage cubbies.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 04-23-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #54
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Maybe she could leave the stroller at home those days.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #55
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
But the Flex does not meet the need to be narrower than the Edge. The Flex is a wiiiidddde vehicle. And big. I was thinking of one until I drove my Expedition next to one and realized how big it was -it was as big, if not bigger than my Expedition.
The 2013 expedition is 91.8 inches wide (with the mirrors extended)

http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/...ions/exterior/

The 2013 Flex is 88.8 inches wide (with the mirrors extended)

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/...ions/exterior/

They don't want a van, but those seem narrower. The Honda Odyssey is only 79.2 and the Sienna is 78.1
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #56
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Maybe she could leave the stroller at home those days.
On that note, our Acadia has a 1/3 2/3 split folding third row. With just the 1/3 down, you could still put two kids in the 3rd row, although probably not with safety seats. And you could still get the stroller in that way. I would imagine other vehicles have a similar setup.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #57
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
The 2013 expedition is 91.8 inches wide (with the mirrors extended)

http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/...ions/exterior/

The 2013 Flex is 88.8 inches wide (with the mirrors extended)

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/...ions/exterior/

They don't want a van, but those seem narrower. The Honda Odyssey is only 79.2 and the Sienna is 78.1
My expedition is ancient, so maybe that is why it looked so wide. But it looked huge!
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #58
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

The Audi Q7 will get them most of the way there, with the exception of American. There is tons of room in the back with the 3rd row up, but not enough for a double stroller and groceries. The only way to get that is with a van.
The best thing about the Audi is the split seat in the back because she could drop one side for the stroller and keep the other side up to harness groceries.
I understand her desire to keep the seats up, I like to keep mine up because I'm short and reaching for groceries is hard when they are down.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #59
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm confused as to why a third row. Two kids and a bunch of stuff seems like exactly the sort of reason the SUV-crossover was invented. (I'm a fan of the station wagon, but those are practically nonexistent.) Yes, she won't be able to fit more people than her family in the car, but if that's actually only needed 1% of the time, perhaps it's not a good reason to limit her options. There are plenty of perfectly nice, easy-to-handle cars that don't have a third row but fit all the other options just fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #60
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I guess I'm confused as to why a third row. Two kids and a bunch of stuff seems like exactly the sort of reason the SUV-crossover was invented. (I'm a fan of the station wagon, but those are practically nonexistent.) Yes, she won't be able to fit more people than her family in the car, but if that's actually only needed 1% of the time, perhaps it's not a good reason to limit her options. There are plenty of perfectly nice, easy-to-handle cars that don't have a third row but fit all the other options just fine.
The only station wagons I know of are Volvo and VW. I have friends with both.

I was wondering about the extra row too. The only thing I could come up with is if there was family near by that gets together and rides in one car or thinking down the line when they haul the kids friends around. We thought about that when we just had 3 kids, but it wasn't really a deciding factor, it was just a bonus feature.
We did go to an SUV when we had the 3rd only because 2 carseats and a booster wouldn't fit in my VW Passat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: