Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

They will end up getting a minivan. It might not be this year, but they will eventually purchase a minivan. If it's space anyone needs - they WILL eventually have a minivan!

She may just have a fear of driving a larger auto. Try the Chrysler Town & Country. The back-up camera makes driving it quite easy - it's large & has great markings of safe zone back-up etc. There is no room behind the 3rd seat, but she just might be OK with that once she sees how roomy the van is!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I should clarify. American made is the wrong term.it should be American owned company. That is part of why Chrysler is out for them.
Chrysler is American-owned.

Oops, I was wrong. It isn't anymore, since Fiat bought it.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
Tralliam
Mouseketeer

It's not American but the Mazda 5 might be a good option. It drives like a car, actually a lot of fun to drive. Storage behind the 3rd row is not very much but it is a 50/50 back seat and takes literally about 15 seconds to fold it back out. It's pretty narrow as well and the doors are sliding like a minivan but don't look like it.
Tralliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
jama
DIS Veteran

What about Buick Enclave?
jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

They want the impossible and are being snobbish by ruling out minivans. I so didn't want a minivan until my husband insisted that I give it a try. Now I love my Honda Odyssey with back up camera. I had trouble backing out with my Acura RDX even though the turning radius was great but I don't have the same problem with my Odyssey because of the backup camera. A minivan is also easier to park because you don't need nearly as much space when opening the rear doors. Getting the infant carseat out of my RDX was difficult in many parking lots but it's easy with my minivan.

I would recommend the Odyssey with backup camera for them. Honda isn't an American company but the Odyssey is made in Alabama. Not all American car companies make their cars in the US these days. Many are made in Mexico which isn't really buying American if you think about it. The second row is comfortable for adults and even though the trunk looks small when the 3rd row is up I was surprised by how much I fit back there when we took a trip to IKEA recently.

A lot of my friends who had Mazda 5s eventually moved up to a larger minivan once they started needing to use the 3rd row regularly
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #36
Tralliam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcufrog View Post
A lot of my friends who had Mazda 5s eventually moved up to a larger minivan once they started needing to use the 3rd row regularly
I guess I should have mentioned that my 5 replaced a sedan that got rear ended. My wife said you have to get a car that can fit all 3 kids. She drives a Grand Caravan.
Tralliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
But looking at the photos, there is no room behind the third seat either. The other issue if you plan to carry real sized humans is the lack of legroom.
I rent a lot of mini-vans and other than front seats, forget about carrying adults, no leg room.
My perfect mini-van would be a Chevy Astro from the drivers seat back (lots of leg room and cargo space behind the third seat) with the front of a Ford Freestar grafted on the front (Astro front seat is crowded, Freestar is spacious).
Looking at it at the auto show, I think the space behind the third row is much more comparable to a minivan than an SUV, which is to say about as good as it gets without going all the way up to an Expedition-size SUV or full-size van. Same with leg room, though I don't find minivans problematic so I may just have a lower bar on that count. My son and his friends are all adult sized and fit just fine in my Venture, and on the rare occasion I've ridden in the middle row I found it comfortable enough.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantasmic
I believe they are looking for a Suburbanardis, a car that is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Good luck. I hear those are expensive and only come in blue.
Bwahahaha. You forgot to add, they're all stick shift.

I agree, your friends are looking for the impossible. I have owned and driven several minivans, two Ford expeditions, a ford explorer that can't get out of its own way, and a huge honking 1ton ford truck that drives like a firetruck. I loved my minivans when the children were little. But I really love my expeditions. Yeah they're big cars they are very safe. Our first Expy saved us all in a terrible rollover crash. As I stood by the side of the road as a wrecker hauled it away I said to my I want another expedition just like that.

I don't get the I can't drive a big truck attitude. Once you learn how to drive you know how to drive a car or truck. It's only a matter of practice.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Mini-van. Even the Tahoe has limited cargo space when the third row seat is up. Nothing but a mini-van is going to satisfy their requirements. Too bad they're too cool for it.
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Looking at it at the auto show, I think the space behind the third row is much more comparable to a minivan than an SUV, which is to say about as good as it gets without going all the way up to an Expedition-size SUV or full-size van. Same with leg room, though I don't find minivans problematic so I may just have a lower bar on that count. My son and his friends are all adult sized and fit just fine in my Venture, and on the rare occasion I've ridden in the middle row I found it comfortable enough.
Last mini-van I rented was 2 years ago was a Venture. My 6'5" son was not happy. He complained less about the leg room in in the back seat of the Chevy Aveo we rented last year. We could only get 1 suitcase behind the third seat of the Venture. We had to put out other suitcases between the 2 middle row seats (it had captains chairs in the middle)
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

They REALLY need to get over that "American-owned" thing. American cars are almost always about generosity in sizing; they are always wider, and they are always longer. If they drop that ridiculous requirement, then they have some options.

Second, and it is amazing HOW many people I've had to say this to --- don't buy a car to fit the stroller; buy a stroller to fit the car! You can buy a heck of a nice stroller for a teensy fraction of what a larger car will cost you, both in price and in gas mileage. This woman needs to buy a compact stroller. (The best for fitting in cars with limited cargo space are the long-fold models such as a Mac or a Cybex)

Now then, that said, their best option is a Mazda5. Not only does it fit all the other criteria, but it actually has active low-speed collision avoidance in the loaded models -- if she can't stop the car before she hits something while parking, the car will stop itself. (The CX-9 also has this feature and is a 3-row, but it's quite large.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
They REALLY need to get over that "American-owned" thing. American cars are almost always about generosity in sizing; they are always wider, and they are always longer. If they drop that ridiculous requirement, then they have some options.

Second, and it is amazing HOW many people I've had to say this to --- don't buy a car to fit the stroller; buy a stroller to fit the car! You can buy a heck of a nice stroller for a teensy fraction of what a larger car will cost you, both in price and in gas mileage. This woman needs to buy a compact stroller. (The best for fitting in cars with limited cargo space are the long-fold models such as a Mac or a Cybex)

Now then, that said, their best option is a Mazda5. Not only does it fit all the other criteria, but it actually has active low-speed collision avoidance in the loaded models -- if she can't stop the car before she hits something while parking, the car will stop itself. (The CX-9 also has this feature and is a 3-row, but it's quite large.)
They JUST bought the double stroller and there is no way they will get a different one. It took 6 trips to the store, returning 2 strollers, and buying a new infant seat in order to settle on the one they got. She doesn't want the infant seat to encroach on her sons side for the few months they use the infant seat with the stroller. And they HAD to have a side-by-side, not a tandem.

Yes, there is a trend of unrealistic expectations here.

I'm going to avoid the car topic at dinner tomorrow. If they ask I will tell them they either have to get a boat (Expedition type), not treat their car like a storage shed, or put the d@mn 3rd row seat down until they need it. Of course I will say it diplomatically. :thumbsup
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #43
JennyKS
Mouseketeer

Having a father who retired from General Motors I understand their requirement for American based company. Some people take that to heart. I'm 38 years old and I have only bought General Motors products and I will only buy General Motors products even after my father is gone.

I'm on my second Equinox (no third row so I know not their option) but I wish I would have test drove a Traverse. Besides the reviews here, online they seem to get pretty good reviews. Now with a 2nd baby on the way in 6 weeks maybe the next car will be a traverse. Though I'd like that Cadillac SRX.

And my opinion on mini vans, I don't want one either. I honestly don't see as many families driving them as I do older people. At least around here.
JennyKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #44
Bethenny
Mouseketeer

Call me lazy, but I don't want to read the thread. So apologies if this has been said. The Acadia/Traverse/Enclave actually has a decent amount of storage behind the third row. Your friends need to just go look at all the cars and see what works best for them.
Bethenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Our days of needing to carry a stroller (or several camping backpacks) are long gone, which is why it was easy to get rid of the Astro a few years ago. Before that we had a Safari, its production twin.

I have a Ford Escape. It seats five. I was having trouble parking other vehicles. I like the parking assist mirror display and alarms, as well as being able to use my phone hands-free.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: