Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Wow. They are not going to be happy with anything since they want a vehicle that does not exist.

Since she has trouble with not being able to drive a large vehicle, I would compromise the 3rd row seating. It is dangerous to not be able to handle a large vehicle.

And frankly, backing up a larger vehicle is easier that a smaller one. I can back up the Yukon into a space much easier than my caddie. I always back into my driveway.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

When are they planning to buy? The Ford Transit Connect 7 passenger that's coming out for the 2014 model year might suit their needs, but it won't be available for a few more months. (http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.1312553)

DH had one as a company car and loved it so much that we're looking at the passenger version for our next family vehicle. It has a higher roof and generous cargo space because it did start out as a commercial/cargo van, is a comfortable ride that gets pretty good gas mileage, and while it is a van it doesn't have typical minivan styling. I don't love driving a minivan but I've found that there's no other practical way to have the space and flexibility I want without going all the way up to a gas-guzzling behemoth of an SUV, and the Transit is far less "minivan-like" than anything else that meets our needs at this point.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

I have a Durango as I didn't wanna be in a large SUV yet needed 3rd row. Storage space w/3rd row up prob wouldn't keep lrg stroller tho you can fold only half the seat down?? Best wishes on helping them I'm one of those picky vehicle parents lol I've invested quiet a bit on my 1999 DH gets upset when its shop time as I will not even discuss upgrading.
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
When are they planning to buy? The Ford Transit Connect 7 passenger that's coming out for the 2014 model year might suit their needs, but it won't be available for a few more months. (http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.1312553)
But looking at the photos, there is no room behind the third seat either. The other issue if you plan to carry real sized humans is the lack of legroom.
I rent a lot of mini-vans and other than front seats, forget about carrying adults, no leg room.
My perfect mini-van would be a Chevy Astro from the drivers seat back (lots of leg room and cargo space behind the third seat) with the front of a Ford Freestar grafted on the front (Astro front seat is crowded, Freestar is spacious).
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Chevy Traverse? Might be too long.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

That car does not exist. That's like saying they want a 5 bedroom house but the house can only be 800 sq ft.

They are either going to have to go with something like a Suburban or have to settle for lowering the third seat when they need more storage.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

I believe they are looking for a Suburbanardis, a car that is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Good luck. I hear those are expensive and only come in blue.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantasmic View Post
I believe they are looking for a Suburbanardis, a car that is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Good luck. I hear those are expensive and only come in blue.
Lol. Love it!

I think I'm just going to be blunt with them and tell them they have to ease up on at least one of their requirements. And maybe take driving lessons.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I have no suggestions but I have to say, I am on my 2nd Edge, and I LOVE my car, but it's very very hard to navigate in a parking spot!!! My husband can back up a tow truck pulling a suburban into a tiny garage, but parking the Edge? Ha, not so much!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

If they can't park the Edge forget the Traverse! FIL had a Traverse and getting that thing in and out of parking spaces was awkward, just not sure exactly why? I think it was just the design of the car. He bought an Expedition EL to replace the Traverse, no problems, and he had a regular Expedition before the Traverse (which DH & I now have), still no problems. None of us liked driving and especially parking the Traverse.

I am not sure they will ever find the exact vehicle they want
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #26
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
Yes, that's what we have too and we LOVE it! However, with the third row up there is very little space behind it. Plus it is not American made as the OP said the friend wanted, so that is why I did not suggest it.
The Pilot is built in the US, I think.

ETA: Just checked ~ 70% of parts are US made and the vehicles are assembled in AL.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh View Post
If they can't park the Edge forget the Traverse! FIL had a Traverse and getting that thing in and out of parking spaces was awkward, just not sure exactly why? I think it was just the design of the car. He bought an Expedition EL to replace the Traverse, no problems, and he had a regular Expedition before the Traverse (which DH & I now have), still no problems. None of us liked driving and especially parking the Traverse.

I am not sure they will ever find the exact vehicle they want
We have a Traverse and I agree, the turning radius is terrible.

I've driven my sister's Pilot and I can't believe how much better the turning radius is on her vehicle!
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
Yes, that's what we have too and we LOVE it! However, with the third row up there is very little space behind it. Plus it is not American made as the OP said the friend wanted, so that is why I did not suggest it.
The Pilot is made in Alabama. Most "American made" cars are not made in the USA, while many foreign brands are.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I should clarify. American made is the wrong term.it should be American owned company. That is part of why Chrysler is out for them.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

We just went through the same search before buying another mini-van. In looking at options that actually have room for anything, let alone a double stroller, behind the 3rd row we found - Ford Expedition EL, GMC Yukon XL, and the Chevy Suburban. Of those the only one that had good leg room in the 3rd row was the Expedition EL.

Given the overall size (it is long and huge), poor gas mileage, and cost we decided to stick with a mini-van.
Bay Lake Tower 7/10,7/11,8/12,7/13,8/14,12/14 - Kidani Village 12/10 - Polynesian GVC 8/03,7/04,6/07,7/08 LVC 7/06, GV 7/09 - Wilderness Lodge 6/05,7/08 - All Star Movies 1/09 - All Star Sports 11/14 - Doubletree Downtown Disney 12/07
WIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: