Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

POFQ or POR. I'm torn!

After reading the threads and looking at the pics, I'm torn between trying to decide which resort to stay in for our trip next February! What is your preference, FQ or POR, and why do you love it?

Thanks,
Tanya
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD3
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Assuming there is some kind of discount offered which you never know, POFQ usually has much less discount, so will most likely be more expensive if that is a consideration.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

POFQ it's small and personal. The doorman opens the lobby door for you and hands out mardi gras beads! Only 1 busstop for the whole resort. You are less than 5 mins walk to the food court from anywhere. POR has an internal bus system it's so big...too much time on a bus for me.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Neelloc
I'm still 716, I'm still Buffalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
POFQ it's small and personal. The doorman opens the lobby door for you and hands out mardi gras beads! Only 1 busstop for the whole resort. You are less than 5 mins walk to the food court from anywhere. POR has an internal bus system it's so big...too much time on a bus for me.
POR does not have an internal bus system like CB and CSR does. However, it DOES have 4 bus stops for park busses around the resort. If the bus fills up at the main depot, it'll skip the other stops.

Wife & Mommy
to 2 little girls and a baby boy

==========
3/95 AS-Sports 3/01 offsite 9/04 POFQ 4th Anniversary,
9/06 POFQ, 3/07: One Magical Day at MK! 9/07 POP Century 7th Anniversary
9/11 POFQ Parents and the Princesses Trip!
11/12 POP Century Celebrating my 40th birthday at WDW!!!

Neelloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Out of those two...POFQ for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelloc View Post
POR does not have an internal bus system like CB and CSR does. However, it DOES have 4 bus stops for park busses around the resort. If the bus fills up at the main depot, it'll skip the other stops.
4 stops might as well be internal...true you are right it's not separate just for moving within the resort and then you switch to a parks bus, but 4 stops is 3 too many for me.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

I love the landscaping and beauty around POR particularly the AB area. I'm not a fan of the kitschy mardi-gras theming of POFQ but I do like the architecture. If you have a car, you can park closer to your room at Riverside. There are more pool options at Riverside. There are more recreational activities at Riverside. There is a table service restaurant ant Riverside. And then there's Yeeha Bob!
SkywayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
ttcl516
Mouseketeer

Have only stayed at POR, but did stroll to FQ for beignets (yummy). But I can say that I love the feel of POR. We stayed in AB and it felt very lush and tranquil. We were in building 17, so not too far away from everything. To me FQ seemed very downtown, too colorful, and had a scary looking food court . I guess it all depends on what your really looking for. But I would vote for POR all the way!!

POR Riverside AB Feb 28 - Mar 7, 2013
ttcl516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
sleepymama
Earning My Ears

I like the landscaping, pool, food court and general feel of POR much better. It is much more spread out though, so if walking longer distances is an issue POFQ might be better for you.
sleepymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

I enjoy POFQ for the smallness of the resort!

POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992

NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

This!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcl516 View Post
Have only stayed at POR, but did stroll to FQ for beignets (yummy). But I can say that I love the feel of POR. We stayed in AB and it felt very lush and tranquil. We were in building 17, so not too far away from everything. To me FQ seemed very downtown, too colorful, and had a scary looking food court . I guess it all depends on what your really looking for. But I would vote for POR all the way!!
I like POR way better, the grounds are much much prettier, nice and lush. There are recreational activities available at POR such as surrey bike rentals, reg bikes, boating sports, horse/carriage ride, and yehaw Bob in the lounge!

The food court is much better at POR...I love the make your own pasta and salad station. I feel as thou the beignets is the only thing going for the POFQ food court.

I like the fact that the boat picks up at POR first. Many times i've seen the driver only pick up 2-4 guests at POFQ cause it was simply too full.

I didnt care for the smallness of POFQ at all, nor did I like the theme. My son even asked me never to book a room at POFQ. Lol! To each their own, but these are our thoughts.

i've never had an issue with the multiple bus stops at POR or at CSR for that matter. But if you have a car, even better!

One last thing, I didnt find POR to be all that big.

Here's the thing, If you have very small kids, im thinking POFQ would be better. They'd probably enjoy the pool more than at POR. POFQ slide is shorter, and the pool is brighter overall. Plus it helps that the resort is smaller, you dont have to walk far with little ones. But for older kids, like 7+, I think they'd like POR more because the slide is much longer. I personally love the POR pool over POFQ. But again, to each their own.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Out of those two...POFQ for me.
Absolutely 100%.... Plus it's just a short walk for Beignets
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both, and prefer POR. Both have benefits and drawbacks, in my opinion. Here are my thoughts:

POR is bigger, and the grounds are very pretty. There are multiple pools (one main pool with a couple of slides, plus some "quiet" pools). I like the food court at POR much better - there's a much bigger selection of food, and I like the make-your-own pasta and salad bars. They have a great rotisserie chicken/mashed potatoes/veggie meal at POR that's great! But on the "drawback" side POR is so big that it can take quite a bit of time to walk from your room to the main part of the hotel where the bus stops, gift shop, front desk, and restaurants are located.

POFQ is also nice, and much more "compact". Everything is located within easy walking distance, since it's a smaller resort. In fact, my room was right next to the food court, and it was very handy to pop over and use my refillable mug -- literally just steps from my room. The bus stop was very close by my room, too! But it did feel small and crowded compared to POR. The food court selections were very limited in comparison, too.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Kae
DIS Veteran

POR has Royal rooms which your DDs might like.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've stayed at both and prefer POFQ because of the smaller size.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: