Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
benji2012
Mouseketeer

A Long Time to Grow Young! An Epic 40th Bday trip! Update 9/7!

Hello! I'm Ellen aka Benji2012... Im a long time reader of the boards, but a first time poster and trip report writer, but I hope to have a great story to tell, and Id love for you to come along for the ride.

This PTR originally started as a way to plan my 40th Birthday extravaganza&and that is still going to be a huge part&Im also going to be using it to plan that event&but I also going to use it for the In Between Trips too&one of which will hopefully be Aulani!!

The story behind the big 4-0 trip!

While helping a friend research her Disney Fairytale Wedding, the idea for the
Epic 40th Birthday Celebration was born.

It started as an unattainable dream, hatched into a possibility, and now is slowly evolving into an actual plan&which in due time will become a reality.

Welcome to my pre-trip report! Im Ellen and I will be your VIP All access guide for this celebration 4 day/3 night Epic extravaganza! Seat belt checks will be around the corner.

I love weddings. I love hearing all the little details my friend-brides and grooms tell me about teapot centerpieces and flower seed paper favors. Its like watching our love grow! they gush.

Ive bought Bride magazine and checked out The Knot on more than one occasion.

Problem is, I dont think marriage was ever actually in the cards for me. I love my career, I love my independence, and I LOVE being an AUNT, which means I get to be awesome 24/7 forever.

My prince charming came in the form of a been there, done that kind of guy, who didnt see marriage in his future.

I know this strikes many people as odd&or even, what the right word here&bad? Wrong? I usually tell those that every day I wake up and say; I choose to be with this man. To me, that is love. (The Epic celebration will also mark our 10 year anniversary.) P.S. I am not anti-marriage, its just not for me.

This has something to do with the story I promise&

One day, I jokingly, lovingly, and ok&hopefully said to Thad, You know, since I never made you marry me, the least you could do is throw me an epic birthday party at Disney World.

To which he said, Okay.

Really?...I mean, you remember how much some of that stuff cost right? I said referring to some info I shared with him while helping my friend research her wedding.

Not really, but okay anyway. Wait, is the Grand I one of the options? Lets do that.

Um, well, I was thinking of a dessert party at Illuminations, I was at a loss for words.

That too then.

I sat there for a minute dumbfounded.

Then he looked at me dead in the eye and said those words that I longed to here, You know you have to plan the whole thing right?

Thats pretty much like saying, Unleash the hounds!

Internet, books, magazines, and of course&pinterest. My friends keep calling it the destination wedding without the wedding.
[/CENTER]

Last edited by benji2012; 09-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
benji2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
benji2012
Mouseketeer

Table of contents

THE BIG 4-0 TRIP
CAST OF CHARACTERS
THE PLAN
The Wayback Time Machine-Disneyana 1974
The Obsession Phase-Where to stay?
Finally, some actual plans!
ADRs...for now!
Must Do's!
Packing Begins!

DAY BY DAY PLANS
DAY 1 and DAY 2 Plans--BLT Arrival and US/IOA
DAY 3 and DAY 4--Move to BWV Grand Villa, Epcot, AK breakfast, MK, and Epcot Dessert Party
DAY 5 and DAY 6--Hollywood Studios, Prop Shop dinner, and Grand Yacht 1 cruise
DAY 7 and DAY 8--Marceline to Magic Kingdom, HS and Fantasmic, Gardenview Tea, Wishes once again.

Coming Soon!
Magic Kingdom Must Do's
Epcot Must Do's
Animal Kingdom Must Do's
Hollywood Studios Must do's
Must Do's...I mean...Must eats!

THE IN THE MEANTIME TRIPS
The "In the Meantime" Trips
"In the Meantime" Trips Updates
September Trip Updates
September Trip Mini Update--New Stuff--Vera, OLs, Magic Bands, and SOTMK!

GENERAL AND REAL LIFE STUFF
A little more about me!

Last edited by benji2012; 09-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
benji2012
Mouseketeer

CAST OF CHARACTERS-This could be a reality show

My traveling party is a rag tag mixture of friends and family from different times and places in my life. It would probably be best if I could create a Venn diagram whose intersection is “loves Disney” to explain who all is going and how they may or may not know each other.

For now, I’ll just give a brief description of each…but I’m sure I’ll refer to them all again in the future.

The Definites (8 total)

Ellen and Thad
Me and my partner in crime. He loved Disney first, but I love it more.

Brent and Anne
Brent and I met because he was dating my best friend in high school, they broke up, but Brent and I have stayed friends. We are proof that people of the opposite sex can be real friends. Anne has been with Brent for 20 years, and as much as I consider Brent as a brother, Anne is like a really awesome sister in law.

Marie and Anthony
Marie, Nicole and I were the three musketeers in college. In our twenties, and into our 30’s Marie and I have made great traveling partners, this will be our third trip to Disney together, but we’ve also been to NYC, Vegas and Puerto Vallarta. Anthony is a good guy who loves Disney, though I don’t know him as well.

Joe and TBD
I met Joe shortly after moving back home; and have been kindred spirits ever since; he’s the Diana to my Anne. (Anne of Green Gables anyone?) ☺ He has a relatively new boyfriend…since the trip is about 1 ˝ years away who knows what will happen. If not he will probably bring his other best friend, which is fine by me!

The Maybes (6 people)
Liz and Patrick...I mean Gwen
After I secured that this was going to happen, I figured I should ask my sister…knowing her my whole life and all. My sister and I are close-ish. I babysit her kids. She buys me Starbucks and lent me money in my poorer days. We share recipes and nail polish, but not deep dark secrets. She likes Disney, and did before she had kids, but she doesn’t love it the way the rest of us do.

When I asked her initially, she pretty much said, “huh.” And changed the subject. Several hours later, she brought it back up, and said, “well, I think I’ll leave Patrick at home, so I don’t have to get a sitter for the kids and the dog. Maybe Gwen will come along!”

Gwen is Liz’s best friend, and a friend of mine who would be a blast. Liz and Gwen both went to college with Marie, Nicole and I…but graduated a two years earlier.

Zach and Dawn (+1 a piece)
Zach and Dawn are Thad’s college age kids. They were raised drinking the Disney Kool-aid, and love it as much as the rest of us. If they come they will bring a friend or boy/girlfriend. Love them both!

The Outliers ( 2 people)

Nicole and Tyler
Nicole went to Disney a few years ago with Marie and I, and while she had a good time, she didn’t love it. She has also been growing apart from us recently, changing in ways we just don’t get. I haven’t invited her as of yet…and I’m not sure if I will, as I’d like it to be drama free.

Last edited by benji2012; 04-26-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
benji2012
Mouseketeer

The Plan-Where is the Epic-nness?

LODGING
Thad and I will be taking care of guest lodging for 3 nights using DVC points. The two lowest points options, if my math is correct will be OKW or AKL (standard view). For now, AKL is the first choice, as it is my favorite resort…but I’ve never stayed at OKW and I thought that might make it special.

DATES AND DAYS
We will be going Fall 2014, but we have some time to really secure dates. I am hoping for September for low crowds, but we could have up to 3 educators in the group (Brent, Liz, and Gwen) so we will need to work closely with those schedules.

We will either do a Friday-Monday or Saturday-Tuesday for the whole group. Though many, including me, will be extending our way one way or another.

TRANSPORTATION
Flights will be out O’hare, Midway, or Milwaukee. Thad and I will most likely rent a van. Others will either rely on magical express or rent their own.

SCHEDULE
Since it is still quite some time away, I am just putting together what our options are. I am a huge planner, and will most likely have MY trip planned extensively. For the rest of the group, I will have one group activity and the rest of time they can join in or not.

MAJOR/MINOR EVENTS

We are exploring a number of options, but since most can’t be booked until 6 months out, we are pretty fluid. Here are some options:

MAJOR EVENTS
Biergarten and Epcot Dessert Party
Illuminations Cruise and Dinner at ?
Grand Yacht I wishes cruise
Private Dessert Party at Grand Floridian
Private Party at Jiko (Wine Room)
Private Party at DHS or AK
Hoop De Doo Revue

MINOR EVENTS
Scavenger Hunt at Epcot
Dinner at Biergarten
Breakfast or Dinner at ‘Ohana
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
benji2012
Mouseketeer

So, I'm not normally a matchy; matchy person, but I may be changing my ways. I saw this shirt, and may make...er ask everyone to wear it!

Since I'm new, and probably won't post many, if any pictures of actual people...I know I may not get many folllowers...but that's okay; if nothing else it can be a journal for me to look back on fondly one day!

Last edited by benji2012; 04-25-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
DexLabDeeDee
Hollywood, 1939. Amidst the glitz and glitter...the Hollywood Tower Hotel was a star in its own right.

I'm here and saying Hello!

I love weddings too! Love to plan weddings and trips - pretty much anything! Sounds like you'll have an amazing trip!

___Planning a vacation for September! _ PTR
DexLabDeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
benji2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexLabDeeDee View Post
I'm here and saying Hello!

I love weddings too! Love to plan weddings and trips - pretty much anything! Sounds like you'll have an amazing trip!
Thanks for joining in!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
benji2012
Mouseketeer

The Way Back Machine-Disneyana circa 1974

I plan on minimally doing a pre-arrival newsletter and welcome packets...and might possibly do invitations. I am going to try to get one of Zach's friends to design something for me

I went through a few ideas; now I'm thinking of doing all the paper goods based on 1974 Disney.

Thinking I could use this brochure as the foundation for the newsletter. I found this brochure on ebay...but it's $50

Or maybe this cast newsletter

I also found used eticket books... a little more reasonably priced at $10.50 Maybe base the welcome packet on these.

I also love the ticket for Treasure Island/Discovery Island, as it's the only attraction (I think!) that opened in 1974. Not sure exactly sure what I would use it for, maybe an invite or save the date type thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
benji2012
Mouseketeer

The "In the mean time" trips

While this trip report is mainly for my epic 40th Birthday Celebration, I will also be using it to plan a few trips I will be taking before then.

Here is the breakdown of those trips:

Friends Trip
September 19-22
AKL-Kidani
Joe, Thad, Ellen

Joe and I took our first friends trip in March; and Joe loved it so much he bought his first annual pass. While hes been to Disney before; I showed him a whole new world of rope drops, staying on site and ADRs. Hes asked to go back with Thad and I; and of course we want to make that happen.

Annual Family Trip with HHN
October 17-20
BWV
Thad, Ellen, Zach, Dawn and Friends

We take Thads kids every year in October and pair the trip with Halloween Horror Nights. This year Im skipping HHN; and I couldnt be more thrilled! Its fun; but its so expensive (we do express passes) and the last few years the crowds have not been fun.

Winter Escape
February-8-16
TBDOKW? BCV? OKW and Vero Beach?
Thad and Ellen

While back when his kids were small, Thad used to take two week trips to see the mouse, he and I have only ever had one trip that was more than four days, and that was a few years ago; before I had ever heard or lurked on the dis. All of these small trips have led me chomping at the bit for a longer trip&but Im torn. Do we do a WDW only trip, or do a split trip with Vero Beach?

Annual Spring Pilgrimage to the Mouse
TBD
TBD-OKW?
Thad and Ellen

Thad and I always take have a quick weekend trip before summer arrives...We have no plans as of yet though...

Last edited by benji2012; 05-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm subbing! Ill need to catch up later but just wanted it on my list
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Just wanted to say hi! Your title caught my eye, because I'm planning my 40th birthday trip to see Mickey, too! I'm glad to know I'm not the only 40-year-old whose idea of a fun birthday is spending it at Disney World!

My trip won't be nearly as EPIC as yours - it will probably just be me, my husband and our two sons, but that's fine. I just arranged yesterday through the DIS to rent points to stay at OKW. We'll get there New Year's Eve!

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
benji2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Hi! I'm subbing! Ill need to catch up later but just wanted it on my list
Welcome Sarah! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
Just wanted to say hi! Your title caught my eye, because I'm planning my 40th birthday trip to see Mickey, too! I'm glad to know I'm not the only 40-year-old whose idea of a fun birthday is spending it at Disney World!

My trip won't be nearly as EPIC as yours - it will probably just be me, my husband and our two sons, but that's fine. I just arranged yesterday through the DIS to rent points to stay at OKW. We'll get there New Year's Eve!
I'm sure your trip will be amazing...I think each trip has the opportunity for something epic!

I am deciding between OKW and AKV (BWV is a distant 3rd) for the group part of my trip. I've never stayed at OKW but we visited last year, and I loved how peaceful it felt.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
benji2012
Mouseketeer

The OBSESSION Phase-Where to stay?

I think there are many phases of planning a Disney trip, and I am currently in what I refer to as the OBSESSION phase.

I want to plan every little detail for a trip that is 16 MONTHS AWAY! The current focus of my obsession is how long to stay and where to stay. Since we don’t know EXACTLY when; it’s hard to figure out…so I’m working on a best guess.

I am currently looking at the following dates in 2014:

Saturday, September 20-Tuesday, September 23
3 Nights in DVC with top choices being AKV (standard view), OKW and BWV
This part of the trip will have at least 10 people!

Tuesday, September 23-Sunday, September 28
5 nights in a moderate resort with top choices being CSR, POR, and POFQ
This portion of the trip will be mostly me, though I might allow Thad to stay a night or two!

Sunday, September 28-Tuesday, September 30
2 nights in a deluxe or deluxe CL with top choices being Poly, CR, and GF
ALL. BY. MYSELF.

So I’ve knocked out all the values, 2 moderates, and 4 deluxe/dvc resorts…so that’s progress!

DVC DECIDING FACTORS
The three contenders each have their own plusses and minuses. Based on views we would select; points values are comparable for the room types.

For me AKV is currently in the lead. It has my favorite restaurant, Jiko, where I am hoping to do an arrival dinner. In addition to the animals on the Savannah, I love the theming around the resort in general. I’m not thrilled with the actual room décor. I also love the Victoria Fall lounge. Almost all of us will have stayed at AKL before.

OKW is currently in second; most of us have never stayed there. I love the low key vibe, the fact that the rooms are largest DVC units. A bus to DTD is a bonus. It would be special, as I’ve never stayed there.

BWV is currently in last place. It’s DBF’s home resort and he loves it. The location is perfect, but I want something that is a little more magical for me, and BWV feels a little too much like home. I think others are hoping just a bit for this one though.

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]We’ll definitely be spending some big chunks of time at the parks during this time.

MODERATE DECIDING FACTORS

Ugh, this is hard. I know very little about the moderates. I like the look of the CSR rooms, and the property looks lovely. In my research today, I came upon the business class rooms which hold a particular interest for me.

I love the theming of the POR, and the rooms look like my style. I also like the idea of taking a leisurely boat ride to DTD a couple of times.

I want this part of the trip to be low key, so a good quiet pool and access to decent CS is key. I’ll be going to the parks, but maybe not everyday, and I don’t want to set an alarm once.

DELUXE DECIDING FACTORS

If I decide I can’t afford CL, I’m 95% sure Poly will be my number one choice. I have never stayed there, but it is the first place I ever felt the Disney magic. As of now, it’s also the only deluxe resort without DVC so paying OOP is the best way to stay.

If I go with CL, CR and to some degree GF climb up the list. I never thought I’d like CR, but we stayed at BLT last year and it was truly magical. I love the idea of watching fireworks from the CL lounge! GF has never been my style, though the GF tea is one of my favorite experiences on site! But I recently saw pictures from someone’s trip report, and my mind was changed just a little…but I would say GF has only an outside shot of making it as part of this trip.

So, knowing what little you do know about me in my few posts…come out from your lurking hiding places and answer these questions…

Where do you think I SHOULD stay for each part of my trip?

Where do think I WILL stay for each part of my trip?

You’ll probably need to hang with me and my PTR for a while before you know for sure…but I think it would be awesome to look back on this PTR one day and see who was right and who was wrong!

Last edited by benji2012; 04-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
figment814
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji2012 View Post
I think there are many phases of planning a Disney trip, and I am currently in what I refer to as the OBSESSION phase.

I want to plan every little detail for a trip that is 16 MONTHS AWAY! The current focus of my obsession is how long to stay and where to stay. Since we don’t know EXACTLY when; it’s hard to figure out…so I’m working on a best guess.

I am currently looking at the following dates in 2014:

Saturday, September 20-Tuesday, September 23
3 Nights in DVC with top choices being AKV (standard view), OKW and BWV
This part of the trip will have at least 10 people!

Tuesday, September 23-Sunday, September 28
5 nights in a moderate resort with top choices being CSR, POR, and POFQ
This portion of the trip will be mostly me, though I might allow Thad to stay a night or two!

Sunday, September 28-Tuesday, September 30
2 nights in a deluxe or deluxe CL with top choices being Poly, CR, and GF
ALL. BY. MYSELF.

So I’ve knocked out all the values, 2 moderates, and 4 deluxe/dvc resorts…so that’s progress!

DVC DECIDING FACTORS
The three contenders each have their own plusses and minuses. Based on views we would select; points values are comparable for the room types.

For me AKV is currently in the lead. It has my favorite restaurant, Jiko, where I am hoping to do an arrival dinner. In addition to the animals on the Savannah, I love the theming around the resort in general. I’m not thrilled with the actual room décor. I also love the Victoria Fall lounge. Almost all of us will have stayed at AKL before.

OKW is currently in second; most of us have never stayed there. I love the low key vibe, the fact that the rooms are largest DVC units. A bus to DTD is a bonus. It would be special, as I’ve never stayed there.

BWV is currently in last place. It’s DBF’s home resort and he loves it. The location is perfect, but I want something that is a little more magical for me, and BWV feels a little too much like home. I think others are hoping just a bit for this one though.

We’ll definitely be spending some big chunks of time at the parks during this time.

MODERATE DECIDING FACTORS

Ugh, this is hard. I know very little about the moderates. I like the look of the CSR rooms, and the property looks lovely. In my research today, I came upon the business class rooms which hold a particular interest for me.

I love the theming of the POR, and the rooms look like my style. I also like the idea of taking a leisurely boat ride to DTD a couple of times.

I want this part of the trip to be low key, so a good quiet pool and access to decent CS is key. I’ll be going to the parks, but maybe not everyday, and I don’t want to set an alarm once.

DELUXE DECIDING FACTORS

If I decide I can’t afford CL, I’m 95% sure Poly will be my number one choice. I have never stayed there, but it is the first place I ever felt the Disney magic. As of now, it’s also the only deluxe resort without DVC so paying OOP is the best way to stay.

If I go with CL, CR and to some degree GF climb up the list. I never thought I’d like CR, but we stayed at BLT last year and it was truly magical. I love the idea of watching fireworks from the CL lounge! GF has never been my style, though the GF tea is one of my favorite experiences on site! But I recently saw pictures from someone’s trip report, and my mind was changed just a little…but I would say GF has only an outside shot of making it as part of this trip.

So, knowing what little you do know about me in my few posts…come out from your lurking hiding places and answer these questions…

Where do you think I SHOULD stay for each part of my trip?

Where do think I WILL stay for each part of my trip?

You’ll probably need to hang with me and my PTR for a while before you know for sure…but I think it would be awesome to look back on this PTR one day and see who was right and who was wrong!
I think you should stay OKW, POR, and the Poly.

I think you will end up at AKV, CSR and the Poly.

Love the Poly, would love to stay someday!
Previous Trips to WDW: Offsite (1980, 1996, 1997, 2008); SSR (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011); BWV (2009, 2010, 2011,2012); WLV (2010); AKL-Jambo (2011); AKL-Kidani (2011); BLT (2012) Upcoming: 2013 BWV (2) and AKL-Jambo

My WISH Journal
figment814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I will tell you I've stayed at CSR five times and love it there. To me, it is quiet and serene and has amazing views around the lake. The picture in my avatar <--- was taken at dusk across the lake with the Casitas perfectly reflected. CSR has a more grown-up vibe than other resorts - the bed linens are more upscale and the beds are very comfortable. The main pool has a great slide (the Jaguar slide) and the quiet pools are nice, too. We've had very good bus service at CSR. The Pepper Market gets mixed reviews. It's different from the standard "food court," in that you are seated by a hostess, you order your food from different food stations, then sit and eat (with actual silverware and real plates, not plastic). Your server gets your drinks for you, and at the end of the meal you pay your server. So it's like a cross between a TS and a QS. We've had pretty decent food there. There is also the grab-n-go Cafe Rix with a few hot items, pastries, etc. Since you'll be there as adults, you might like the Rix Lounge that is adults-only after 9:00.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: