Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

SNOW?? Really?

After months of planning and anticipation, it was finally April! Time to go on our EPIC vacation! We spent Easter weekend at my parent’s house in PA but came home on Sunday March 31 to get packed and ready to hit the road. Monday was spent putting last minute items in suitcases, finishing up laundry, cleaning the house, filling the gas tank, and going to the bank. As is our tradition, we ordered pizza for dinner and played a rousing game of Disney Scene-It.

Look who won!!

It was going to be an early morning as we hoped to be on the road by 6 am. Everyone was settled in bed fairly early. Except for myself, of course. I spent the quiet moments balancing the check book and paying any bills that would come due while we were gone. I also wrote a detailed note to Josh (my nephew) who would be housesitting and taking care of our dog, Daisy. I double checked the trip binder to be sure I had tickets, travel documents, etc. all in order. I knew I would be tired, but those few hours I spent tying up loose ends was just what I needed. I headed to bed around 1 am with the alarm set for 5!

Bright and early, the alarm woke us up. Jeff was up and out of bed before anyone and was able to snap these pics of the boys. GET UP LAZY HEADS! We’re going on VACATION today!

How does he sleep like this?

Jeff also managed to get this picture of the snow on our porch and car that morning. Sad to leave Western NY…I think NOT!

After rousing the sleepyheads, having a hearty breakfast of microwaveable sausage biscuits and croissant sandwiches (NO dishes!), loading the last minute bags into the car, and packing our cooler for our planned picnic lunch we were all in the van and ready to get this trip on the road! I had made a game for the kids to play along the way that I didn’t get a good picture of, but you can see it a little bit here.

I made little sticky notes with the names of about 15 large cities or landmarks we would pass on our way to Florida. Once we reached that destination, the boys could pull off the sticky note. It was a big hit! We also had the license plate game in our back pocket as well as the ever-popular alphabet game.

I also planned to get pictures of each “Welcome to…” state sign as we headed south. We hit our first sign about 2 hours after leaving home….

Good Old PA! Weren’t we just here??

Anyway, spirits were high and we were all very excited about our trip. We sang along to the radio, talked about what we were most looking forward to, and generally enjoyed the ride. Well, most of us. This is how Isaiah spent much of the road trip!

As we made our way down Route 79 toward Pittsburgh we encountered some of this….

White out conditions…LOVELY! Thankfully it only lasted a few miles and didn’t slow us down too much.

We stopped for gas just outside Pittsburgh, PA. If I remember correctly, someone also had to “see a man about a wallaby”….Finding Nemo reference! Sorry for the TMI! We continued through PA and finally saw this sign about 5 ½ hours into our drive….

At some point, we switched drivers and Dan took his turn at the wheel. We knew that West Virginia roads were very curvy and that Dan and I both get car sick. The best bet was to have one of us drive and the other sit in the front seat. Although I trust Dan’s driving ability, it’s still a bit nerve wracking and I am on high alert! At one point, we encountered some smoke alongside the road and Dan just plowed ahead without slowing down. Jeff and I both gently told him to slow down so he could assess the situation. Why would you just “drive right through it, Cole Trickle?” Days of Thunder reference that my boys did not get when Jeff said it, but that Jeff and I thought was very funny! We amuse ourselves!

The scenery we passed in WV was just beautiful. As we drove, we listened to John Denver on Jeff’s iPod. We thought it was appropriate….”take me home, country road…” I’m dating myself, I know.

Our next scheduled stop was at the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville, WV. This was something we had deliberately included as a stop on our route because we had heard how beautiful it was. Our plan was to be there by around 2:00 and have a picnic lunch at the visitor’s center. Dan pulled into the parking lot at 1:50 pm! Right on schedule! Sadly, although it was a beautiful sunny day, the temps were only around 45 degrees. BRRR…… But, we found a nice sunny picnic table and enjoyed our lunch anyway! I had packed supplies to make turkey subs, chips, grapes, cheese sticks, yogurt, etc. Although a bit chilly, we enjoyed our lunch.

Now on to see that bridge! We checked out the visitor’s center a bit then hit the walking trail to the bridge. It lived up to all the hype! AMAZING!

The river gorge.

On the deck overlook near the bottom of the gorge.

Reading info about the building of the bridge.

After about an hour of eating and taking in the scenery, we were ready to get back on the road. But we had to cross that bridge! I was driving at this point because Jeff (who is afraid of heights) had no desire to drive over the bridge. It was so much less scary going OVER the bridge than looking at it!

See…piece of cake!

I think I’ll stop here for now, but stay tuned! Next up….Quality Inn….not so much!!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Excellent Start!! I can't wait to read more!!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Holly324
Mouseketeer

Okay, I only have 2 boys, but after reading the first few posts of your TR, I feel like I am looking at my future! Subbing...can't wait to read more!

Holly324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
disneyjunkie11
Mouseketeer

Hello! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
disneyjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
KyWildcatGirl01
Mouseketeer

I'm here!! Can't wait to read more but I must say you are much braver than I. I would not have been able to drive over that bridge.

KyWildcatGirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
Excellent Start!! I can't wait to read more!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly324 View Post
Okay, I only have 2 boys, but after reading the first few posts of your TR, I feel like I am looking at my future! Subbing...can't wait to read more!
LOL! I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie11 View Post
Hello! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
Hi there and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWildcatGirl01 View Post
I'm here!! Can't wait to read more but I must say you are much braver than I. I would not have been able to drive over that bridge.
I thought it would be scarier...but you can't even see the gorge over the side. Had I not seen the bridge ahead of time, I would not have given it a second thought as we went over.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Missy, I'm about to from just looking at the pictures of the bridge. I can not imagine having to drive over it. I'd have been hunkered down on the floor of the car.

Oh wait, I forgot to talk about the other stuff. I'm now singing "take me home, country road, to a place, I call home, West Virginia.....". See, you're not the only one who dates themselves. I love me some John Denver.

I hope that you tell us more about the road trip game that you played. I was telling Hunter, just this morning, that I need to come up with a new idea.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
disneylvr4vr
Counting down the days until DISNEY!!!

Joining in! I found your ptr the other day and used your links to read the WHOLE ptr in one sitting! It was funny, and i enjoyed it! Im glad i can follow along on this trip report and i can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Like lisa, i am very curious about your road trip game! Details please!

I can't wait until we are!!!
WDW-FEB 2008 POR*SEP 2009 POR*FEB 2013 POR*DL-SEP 2011(offsite)

disneylvr4vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Loved your intro and can't wait for the rest!
awfullybigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
IATink
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Can't wait to read more! We also have made the road trip to Florida before. I'm not a big fan of flying, so I make my husband drive . It's about a 25 hour drive for us, but I kind of like the drive down. Getting there is half the fun!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Missy, I'm about to from just looking at the pictures of the bridge. I can not imagine having to drive over it. I'd have been hunkered down on the floor of the car.

Oh wait, I forgot to talk about the other stuff. I'm now singing "take me home, country road, to a place, I call home, West Virginia.....". See, you're not the only one who dates themselves. I love me some John Denver.

I hope that you tell us more about the road trip game that you played. I was telling Hunter, just this morning, that I need to come up with a new idea.
Jeff felt the same way about that bridge...his first words when I showed him the pictures were, "I'm NOT driving over that bridge!".

The simple fact that we have John Denver's greatest hits on our iPods should tell you something....

I will post more details about our road trip activity for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylvr4vr View Post
Joining in! I found your ptr the other day and used your links to read the WHOLE ptr in one sitting! It was funny, and i enjoyed it! Im glad i can follow along on this trip report and i can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Like lisa, i am very curious about your road trip game! Details please!
Hi! I'm so glad you enjoyed my report and that you came over to join this one!

I will do a post about our road trip activities for you and Lisa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
I'm in! Loved your intro and can't wait for the rest!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATink View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to read more! We also have made the road trip to Florida before. I'm not a big fan of flying, so I make my husband drive . It's about a 25 hour drive for us, but I kind of like the drive down. Getting there is half the fun!
I agree! I was nervous about the road trip, but the more I thought about it the more I looked forward to the adventure of it! However...the drive home was not so much fun....
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post

The scenery we passed in WV was just beautiful. As we drove, we listened to John Denver on Jeff’s iPod. We thought it was appropriate….”take me home, country road…” I’m dating myself, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
At my Grandmothers funeral one of my brothers played Country Roads on guitar during it. And then later when we buried her ashes I had brought along my iPod and speakers and it played after I had played Amazing grace so we just all stood around and sang along with it. The person from the cemetery even commented about it too. Also another time at a Bar in Toronto called The Madison which is two three story house joined to geather with serveal bars in it any way in one with a piao player in it one of my brothers got the paino player to play it for our grandparents.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #28
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Loving your road trip! I love me some John Denver. We've been to West Virginia once when we rented a house. Beautiful out there. I'll have to scope out that bridge some day.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

What is with all this late snow?
We got what is hopefully our last batch until December....yesterday!

Looking at the photos from your trip makes me want to do a road trip. Although, a 2 year old in the car for hours would probably be more difficult to deal with.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading more...
My mom just passed away 2 weeks ago today and reading TR's are my escape from reality!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: