Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

How do you 'document' your cruise?

My wife and I are both prolific writers so following every family vacation we've ever taken we have a 'travelogue' of out trip. We intermix both of our perspectives into the document. They are really fun to go back and read.

We also have a folder with all the digital pictures from each of our trips. I think combined we have probably 50,000 digital pictures, much of that from our various vacation adventures.

Neither of us into scrappbooking I know people that do that and it is really cool.

I just read a cruise trip report from 2000 that I'd not read in years. Some thing that I think I will never forget are actually kept alive by our travelogues.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

For me, I'm getting the DCL Album (just shipped!) and plan to make notes in it along with the photos. The first thing I do after a trip is email myself a list of all the attractions I hit. I also try to stay very present. Some trips fly by and it's like 'where'd it go?' You would think this 4 day (1 land 3 sea) would have whisked by, but it didn't! I remember being present for all of it, from sitting on my veranda, to the muster, to all the dinners, the pirate, everything. The photos help to get a time line. I have written in journals before that I still have to document everyone on a previous disney trip, but it was written with no pics and the pics are in a different place. Think I will like the combo better. The photos help keep my actual memories going. Of course, I'm only one week out. Come on album so I can get all my thoughts in!

I have found myself waking up to dreaming about Philharmagic 3 D (which is funny, I like that show but as much as that, or so I thought) anyway the point is Disney is still totally on the brain this week...

Maybe just a few bullets each day for the highlights and then fill it in either on a quiet deck moment (hope you have more than a 3 day planned for that then!) or at least get the substance and you can add the feelings in later. Example:
-Nassau, Ferry to Blue lagoon. Dolphin greeted us when we got off the ferry! First sea lion encounter of the day. Amazing! We laughed a lot. Conch fritters were amazing, come back for that. Snorkeling was a bit dangerous, Dad made his 31 yr olds come in from the water! But we did see some fish. Got a free concert rehearsal on main stage. Bought a cute I Kissed A Sea Lion shirt. Put my mermaid tail on in the water and took a few photos with some kids in the Lagoon. Showered and still had time to sit in a hammock a few minutes! After that was Strawmarket and Tortuga shopping....

Actually excuse me, I'm going to pull up a word document and start actually adding all this on it. I can print it and put it with my photo album. I'm in between orders at work and what a great wait to fill a few minutes before it all leaves my memory...

Maybe you can grab a lap top and type in a few things like above each morning with a cup of coffee?

Happy journalling to you!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
For me, I'm getting the DCL Album (just shipped!) and plan to make notes in it along with the photos. The first thing I do after a trip is email myself a list of all the attractions I hit. I also try to stay very present. Some trips fly by and it's like 'where'd it go?' You would think this 4 day (1 land 3 sea) would have whisked by, but it didn't! I remember being present for all of it, from sitting on my veranda, to the muster, to all the dinners, the pirate, everything. The photos help to get a time line. I have written in journals before that I still have to document everyone on a previous disney trip, but it was written with no pics and the pics are in a different place. Think I will like the combo better. The photos help keep my actual memories going. Of course, I'm only one week out. Come on album so I can get all my thoughts in!

I have found myself waking up to dreaming about Philharmagic 3 D (which is funny, I like that show but as much as that, or so I thought) anyway the point is Disney is still totally on the brain this week...

Maybe just a few bullets each day for the highlights and then fill it in either on a quiet deck moment (hope you have more than a 3 day planned for that then!) or at least get the substance and you can add the feelings in later. Example:
-Nassau, Ferry to Blue lagoon. Dolphin greeted us when we got off the ferry! First sea lion encounter of the day. Amazing! We laughed a lot. Conch fritters were amazing, come back for that. Snorkeling was a bit dangerous, Dad made his 31 yr olds come in from the water! But we did see some fish. Got a free concert rehearsal on main stage. Bought a cute I Kissed A Sea Lion shirt. Put my mermaid tail on in the water and took a few photos with some kids in the Lagoon. Showered and still had time to sit in a hammock a few minutes! After that was Strawmarket and Tortuga shopping....

Actually excuse me, I'm going to pull up a word document and start actually adding all this on it. I can print it and put it with my photo album. I'm in between orders at work and what a great wait to fill a few minutes before it all leaves my memory...

Maybe you can grab a lap top and type in a few things like above each morning with a cup of coffee?

Happy journalling to you!
My wife keep notes during the trip with names and dates and trivia we learn from the places with visit, the exchange rate, how much we paid for that ridiculous cab fare, etc. She spinkles in some of these into our trip reports.

My hope is, when the kids are old and grown and have kids of their own, they will read this reports and be flooded with memories.....like I am when I read them.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

take pictures of everything. You can develop them or look at them right waw on the computer recount your activities.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Toddymae
Earning My Ears, again and again

I do an iBook off the Mac. There a lot of programs like this out there.

I don't do every cruise (done 36 cruises) just the ones that the family thinks are special, Alaska, Panama Transit, Fantasy Inaugural, and each one of the grandkids first cruise, etc. I take the best pictures and write the stories right there - that way we have the picture and what we did and who we did it too.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
ludari
DIS Veteran

Pictures and the daily navigator. With the navigator I know what happened each day and I match my pictures to those events. I also take note of my port adventures. When I was on the maiden voyage for the Disney Fantasy they gave us all sorts of goodies including copies of the menus for each day.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I get chided for taking so many pictures, but heaven forbid if I miss "the one!" We keep our digital pictures on the computer by trip and we always print out -- way to many -- to put into a physical album. You should see our book shelves!!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

This sounds right.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
flateacher
Mouseketeer

I scrapbook every cruise with the photos, Navigators and other things we keep. I even scrapbook some of the parks visits if they are for a special occasion. (I can't do all visits - we live less than 50 min away!)

I then take all the photos and video clips and make a DVD along with a sound track laden with Disney music!

My family LOVES the DVD's I make of our vacations. When it is finished we have movie night!
flateacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Hd sony video camera

Shot about 4 hours on 6 day Magic cruise. Edit it to little. Over 2hrs. Pictures are outstanding on 70" home TV. Daughter had 10meg still and HD water proof camera that shot HD video. I could shot stills with video camera but really needed good light to come out right.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

We are anxiously awaiting our first cruise, but I am the planner and keeper of all things (i.e mom) I am also an early riser, so every morning I would get up and write down our previous day with the amount of hours we had been to the parks and a synopsis of our day...what everyone had for lunch, supper, funny things that we may have seen or done or said, favorite rides, etc. It's without proper grammar and punctuation ...sort of like "on the fly". I had a little dollar store journal that was replaced with a very nice leather bound Disney journal. I love re-reading those trips!!

POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (14)..
bfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Old school. Spiral notebook and post its. One drawer designated for everything and of course pics.

On our last cruise, for a FE gift I got a travel journal! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! I used it and still use it for all our silly over nights. It's a nice
5x7 journal about half an inch thick.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flateacher View Post
I scrapbook every cruise with the photos, Navigators and other things we keep. I even scrapbook some of the parks visits if they are for a special occasion. (I can't do all visits - we live less than 50 min away!)

I then take all the photos and video clips and make a DVD along with a sound track laden with Disney music!

My family LOVES the DVD's I make of our vacations. When it is finished we have movie night!
You should start a business...I'd send you all my stuff and pay you to have a DVD with the Disney soundtrack..
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
dfriia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
My wife and I are both prolific writers so following every family vacation we've ever taken we have a 'travelogue' of out trip. We intermix both of our perspectives into the document. They are really fun to go back and read.

We also have a folder with all the digital pictures from each of our trips. I think combined we have probably 50,000 digital pictures, much of that from our various vacation adventures.

Neither of us into scrappbooking I know people that do that and it is really cool.

I just read a cruise trip report from 2000 that I'd not read in years. Some thing that I think I will never forget are actually kept alive by our travelogues.
You should try a blog or online journal. I use Blogger, but there are other options out there that are especially tailored for travel.
http://antarcticaonleboreal2012.blogspot.com/
http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com...l-29-2012.html
http://www.fuzzytravel.com/
http://www.mytripjournal.com/
http://www.travelpod.com/
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flateacher View Post

This sounds way cool! I would love to try this. Do you have any special s/w you can reccomend for making/editing the video? Do you include still photos and mp3?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: