Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Is this normal process now? Update on Page 5

Our family just returned from our first (and probably last) stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had a very frustrating situation happen twice and we are curious if this is the normal process now. We intended to purchase DVC at AKV before leaving but these situations caused us to change our minds.

This post is NOT A COMPLAINT about people on ECVs. It is also NOT a troll post. I am simply questioning the system and process since this happened twice.

We stayed at Jambo, but ventured over to Kidani for a look at that is the main DVC building. When leaving, we were the first ones at the bus stop. We saw the other bus pulling away as walked up. We waited for about 15 minutes and then our family of 9 boarded the bus to EPCOT. We boarded the most forward seats on the bus. Somewhere between 20 - 22 people got on with us and they all went straight to the back. Some were even standing in the back already.

We arrived at Jambo and the driver needed to load 3 wheelchairs. Nobody was sitting in those seats. The driver asked our family of 9 to get off the bus until after he loaded the wheelchairs. He asked us to stand right outside the front door of the bus and we would be the first ones loaded.

The driver very quickly and professionally loaded all 3 chairs and then their entourage came with them. We knew they had a large party because they were also staying at Jambo. My sister counted and their party consisted of 28 people, plus about 5 strollers. (not a slam on strollers and people who need them) This is not to be ugly, but just explain the situation clearly: about 7 of the people in their group were quite pooh sized and easily took up 2 - 2.5 seats themselves.

After the driver loaded all of them onto the bus he shut the back door, came out the front door and very quietly told us that due to the size of some guests in their party the bus was nearly full and could only fit 2 - 3 more standing people. He let some people behind us on, said we would have to wait for the next bus and then apologized quite sincerely.

We were mad, but resolved not to let it ruin our day.

__________________________________________________ __________

So, a few days go by and we dined at Boma for breakfast. When we came out to get in a bus for MK we saw this group again. We were really hoping they were not going to MK, but wouldn't you know it.

The bus came with the few people from Kidani on it and the driver loaded two wheelchairs. One of the people were in a folding chair this time and he got out of it and walked in the bus with them and they folded his chair.

We thought it looked like more people this time. We counted and there were 30 people that got on with them. We counted 6 strollers. (only 2 more people) The driver came out and she said that the bus was pretty full and was going to be tight, but there was room for 'some' people to stand. It was crazy packed in there.

Nobody wanted to get on the bus and everybody decided to wait. We heard several people stating that their party size was about 40 people about a week prior and the other people were quite large (not my words) and they had this happen to them several times. One man said their group took up an entire bus on several occasions in 2012 as they were here the same time as him last year. I believe him because I overheard him talking to them about the weather in April in 2011 and 2012 compared to this year.

So, to the point of my question: is it normal for Disney to load people in ECVs and their entourage for large parties leaving those that have waited the longest for another bus or were these inexperienced drivers?

Last edited by Mother Gothel; 04-30-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Mother Gothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Sorry, I had correct my statement above. We only waited 15 minutes (not 25) for a bus. It was a typo.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Disneyhayes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
Our family just returned from our first (and probably last) stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had a very frustrating situation happen twice and we are curious if this is the normal process now. We intended to purchase DVC at AKV before leaving but these situations caused us to change our minds.

This post is NOT A COMPLAINT about people on ECVs. It is also NOT a troll post. I am simply questioning the system and process since this happened twice.

We stayed at Jambo, but ventured over to Kidani for a look at that is the main DVC building. When leaving, we were the first ones at the bus stop. We waited nearly 25 minutes for a bus. We saw the other bus pulling away as walked up. We waited for about 15 minutes and then our family of 9 boarded the bus to EPCOT. We boarded the most forward seats on the bus. Somewhere between 20 - 22 people got on with us and they all went straight to the back. Some were even standing in the back already.

We arrived at Jambo and the driver needed to load 3 wheelchairs. Nobody was sitting in those seats. The driver asked our family of 9 to get off the bus until after he loaded the wheelchairs. He asked us to stand right outside the front door of the bus and we would be the first ones loaded.

The driver very quickly and professionally loaded all 3 chairs and then their entourage came with them. We knew they had a large party because they were also staying at Jambo. My sister counted and their party consisted of 28 people, plus about 5 strollers. (not a slam on strollers and people who need them) This is not to be ugly, but just explain the situation clearly: about 7 of the people in their group were quite pooh sized and easily took up 2 - 2.5 seats themselves.

After the driver loaded all of them onto the bus he shut the back door, came out the front door and very quietly told us that due to the size of some guests in their party the bus was nearly full and could only fit 2 - 3 more standing people. He let some people behind us on, said we would have to wait for the next bus and then apologized quite sincerely.

We were mad, but resolved not to let it ruin our day.

__________________________________________________ __________

So, a few days go by and we dined at Boma for breakfast. When we came out to get in a bus for MK we saw this group again. We were really hoping they were not going to MK, but wouldn't you know it.

The bus came with the few people from Kidani on it and the driver loaded two wheelchairs. One of the people were in a folding chair this time and he got out of it and walked in the bus with them and they folded his chair.

We thought it looked like more people this time. We counted and there were 30 people that got on with them. We counted 6 strollers. (only 2 more people) The driver came out and she said that the bus was pretty full and was going to be tight, but there was room for 'some' people to stand. It was crazy packed in there.

Nobody wanted to get on the bus and everybody decided to wait. We heard several people stating that their party size was about 40 people about a week prior and the other people were quite large (not my words) and they had this happen to them several times. One man said their group took up an entire bus on several occasions in 2012 as they were here the same time as him last year. I believe him because I overheard him talking to them about the weather in April in 2011 and 2012 compared to this year.

So, to the point of my question: is it normal for Disney to load people in ECVs and their entourage for large parties leaving those that have waited the longest for another bus or were these inexperienced drivers?
I believe the first incident is unfortunate. I also believe it's probably pretty rare that that happens. I am sorry you had to wait for another bus. The driver may have not realized that there wouldn't be any room for you once they loaded on the other party. For the second situation it is Disney procedure to load wheelchairs/ECVs and their parties first. That one I am sure was just luck of the draw. The wheelchair/ECV bus line isn't big enough to hold 30 people tho so I am wondering how they squeezed that one in. I wouldn't blame it on the location. If you feel like AK is where you would like your DVC then I would go for it

Sept 2011 - ASMo - MNSSHP**Jan 2012 - POP**Nov 2013 POP
Disneyhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Based on posts from transportation CMs here, that was abnormal and poor training or something. Check either the Transportation board or the DISabilities boards for better info on the rules. They're not supposed to take 30-40 people with the wheelchair guest, AFAIK.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Disney Fool

The name says it all

I do not know the answer to your question, and you may get lots of opinions on this board. However, if you post this on the Transportation board, you will get a much more accurate answer.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
RubySlippers
DIS Veteran

I agree that the first incident is very odd. The second one while not common it does happen on occasion. It is not exclusive to AKL. Both are very unfortunate and I would be a little miffed as well.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Yes it is normal and upsets me too. I can't count the number of times we were first in line and had to wait for another bus. I don't understand why Disney has it set up where EVC users can skip in front of others. They should at least limit the amount of people who can go along with the disabled guest to make it fair for others. That's one of the big reasons we are spending part of our next stay off site and driving down. I'd rather do my own driving than deal with strollers and scooters and having to wait for multiple buses before one comes along that a scooter user doesn't hog up.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
stink
Mouseketeer

I can't say if it is a normal process or not but I can only state that I have stayed at both Jumbo House & Kidani many times and have never experienced this or observed this. I own at AKL Villas.

I have travelled with my Dad in his standard wheelchair and no one has ever had to give up their seat and/or be left behind at the stop, so I or one of my party could ride, nor would I ever have that expectation.

IMHO....If a family/party are ahead of a large ECV/WHCH family/party then the ECV/WHCH party should be given the option of being split into two groups in which one group takes the next bus or have the entire ECV/WHCH party wait for the next bus. At times a ECV/WHCH person may need a companion to assist them but they do not need a party of 10 or more people. Just Saying.....

Last edited by stink; 04-22-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhayes View Post
I believe the first incident is unfortunate. I also believe it's probably pretty rare that that happens. I am sorry you had to wait for another bus. The driver may have not realized that there wouldn't be any room for you once they loaded on the other party. For the second situation it is Disney procedure to load wheelchairs/ECVs and their parties first. That one I am sure was just luck of the draw. The wheelchair/ECV bus line isn't big enough to hold 30 people tho so I am wondering how they squeezed that one in. I wouldn't blame it on the location. If you feel like AK is where you would like your DVC then I would go for it

Well, we wondered about this too. Lots of kids so perhaps they were in laps. I am sure once people are standing in like sardines you can fit more than 30 people on a single bus.

The particular bus we were on the first time looked a little newer. It has gray seats that fold up and there were 3 places for wheelchairs, so that was a perfect bus for them. There was 1 on the right side of the bus and 2 on the left.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

No, that is not a normal occurrence. I wonder if there was some special circumstance you couldn't hear about.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

I've never seen this happen before, but that certainly doesn't mean anything. I have never seen a group that large before either. At least not on the buses.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

I thought the resorts had signs posted that only a certain number of family members could board with the conveyance user? I would have pointed that sign out to the bus driver.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to Transportation board

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I agree with the other poster this is not normal and rare!

I would also post this on the disability board. Sue the mod., is very knowledgeable and will give you a honest, straight forward answer.

PS....We have been DVC members since 1993 and love it!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

When we go to Disney- we are NEVER in a hurry. We've seen it all, done it all and just stroll through the vacation, never letting anything bother us and take everything in stride.

Our last few visits the bus wait was longer and longer. Would complain to ourselves a few times and then let it blow over, wasn't going to let anything ruin our vacation especially for those needing EVC's.

Then, the last visit, *@%! hit the fan.

We waited in a loooooong line to get to a park one day.

The first EVC pulls up with their family, they are loaded then 1/4 of the line ahead of us gets on.

Next bus, next EVC and their large family, less then a 1/4 of the line gets on.

2 buses, half way there, 25 minutes. No biggie.

2 EVC chairs pull up, with families, before the next bus. Bus pulls up, loads them, a few people in line get on. 35 minute wait.

I'm not making this up----

10-15 minutes for the 4th bus, still not at the front of the line, the line is extending far beyond the ropes, what pulls up? EVC large family/group.

This is enough to try anyones patience I don't care who you are. Over an hour before we got on a bus (I think it was the 5th or 6th bus that we FINALLY squeezed onto.

It's not "rare" anymore.

Disney will end up hiring people to stand at the lines for the buses next! Just like the rides!
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: