DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
My best bet is to just buy a contract that will slightly exceed my projected points each year...then bank the difference or rent them.
This is definitely your best course of action. Never buy less than you think you will need. Buy more than the minimum. Point Charts are also adjusted periodically so it never hurts to have more than what your typical planned stay requires. You can always bank the excess and stay longer the next year, or in a bigger unit.

Of course, if you are like most owners, you will quickly find out that you want to add on even more points.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
I was just using SSR as an example. I thought if I could book BW in the scenario I described it would be smart to own points at 2 resorts and give me two 11 month windows.
As PP's mentioned, the 11-month window belongs to the points, not the owner. I think the only booking category at SSR that would need the 11-month window would be the THV's. A 50-pt contract at SSR would allow you to book a studio or 1BR at most and since the resort is so large, those rooms are typically available year-round at 7-months.

When we bought in 2008, we were torn between AKV (brand new) and OKW. We'd stayed at OKW twice (never at AKV) and we loved the resort. The combination of HUGE rooms, low points requirements and lower MF's was very appealing since we only planned on purchasing 100 points. Then, we looked at the AKV points chart. The value category was very appealing as it allowed us the option of booking a 1BR for very few points. (*The points chart has been adjusted, but we were able to book a value 1BR for 5 weeknights at the beginning of June 2009 for 95 points!) We knew that there are only (10) 1BR units available at AKV so the home resort advantage was paramount. At OKW, 1BR's are typically the last to go so getting a 1BR there at 7 months should not be too much of a problem, should we decide to go that route. So that's how we decided to purchase at AKV. Our typical travel times are spring break (first week of April) and early June. We don't really go during a "slow" time.

So far, I have had 7-month success with a 1BR HHI over Easter 2011 (miraculous!...we've since bought points there to avoid that stress again) and a LV BLT studio (waitlisted, but it filled) and a 1BR std at BWV in October 2011. We are currently booked in a value studio at AKV for the first week of November and I am on the waitlist for a standard studio at BWV. I doubt it will come through, but it can't hurt to try.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: