DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Can I book a 80 pt trip with a 50 pt contract?

Let's say I have two 50 point contracts...one at BWV and one as SSR...and the UY is May.

I want to stay at BWV in October 2014 and the trip costs 80 points. Could I book the room in November 2013 even though my BWV contract only had 50 points...or would I have to have a contract of at least 80 points to make that reservation? I know I could bank/borrow points on my BWV contract...but my question is could I still book the room since I have a BWV contract, even though the contract won't cover the points I need? In this scenario I would have 100 points when checkin time comes (50 from BWV and 50 from SSR). I hope this makes sense!!!
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,903

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Let's say I have two 50 point contracts...one at BWV and one as SSR...and the UY is May.

I want to stay at BWV in October 2014 and the trip costs 80 points. Could I book the room in November 2013 even though my BWV contract only had 50 points...or would I have to have a contract of at least 80 points to make that reservation? I know I could bank/borrow points on my BWV contract...but my question is could I still book the room since I have a BWV contract, even though the contract won't cover the points I need? In this scenario I would have 100 points when checkin time comes (50 from BWV and 50 from SSR). I hope this makes sense!!!
At 11 months, you can only use points from the resort you are booking. So you could use the 50 BWV points and bank/borrow from the BWV contract. You cannot use any SSR points. At 7 months, you can use any points. If there is still availability, you might be able to reallocate the existing reservation to move the points around, keeping in mind that banked or borrowed points cannot be sent back to their original use year.

By the way, no January, May, July or November use years.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
At 11 months, you can only use points from the resort you are booking. So you could use the 50 BWV points and bank/borrow from the BWV contract. You cannot use any SSR points. At 7 months, you can use any points. If there is still availability, you might be able to reallocate the existing reservation to move the points around, keeping in mind that banked or borrowed points cannot be sent back to their original use year.

By the way, no January, May, July or November use years.
Just to be clear...if I have a 50 point contract and I haven't banked/borrowed any points at the time I make the reservation....my ressie cannot exceed 50 points. Is that correct?
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran
 
erionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 12,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Just to be clear...if I have a 50 point contract and I haven't banked/borrowed any points at the time I make the reservation....my ressie cannot exceed 50 points. Is that correct?
Borrowing can only be done during the reservation process. Banking must be done ahead of time.
__________________
Michael
erionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Let's say I have two 50 point contracts...one at BWV and one as SSR...and the UY is May.
Just an FYI, there are no May UY contracts. There are 8 UYs: Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct and Dec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Just to be clear...if I have a 50 point contract and I haven't banked/borrowed any points at the time I make the reservation....my ressie cannot exceed 50 points. Is that correct?
Correct, well actually your reservation cannot exceed the number of points remaining in the travel UY at the time you make the reservation. You need enough points in the same UY as your travel dates at the time you make the reservation. The points are deducted from your account at the time you make the reservation.

If you have a 50-pt contract and want to make an 80-pt reservation, you must do one or more of the following:

- Bank points from the prior UY into the travel UY prior to making the reservation

- Borrow points from the next UY into the travel UY at the time you make the reservation

- Transfer BWV points from another member into the travel UY (or prior UY and then bank them into the travel UY) prior to making the reservation
__________________

Last edited by LisaS; 04-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
permavac
Have you seen this chicken?
 
permavac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 493

You must have ALL of the points you need to book the reservation at the time that you book it, so no. You wouldn't be able to have a reservation without all of the points needed in your account at that time.

Terri
permavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
WebmasterDoc
Administrator
 
WebmasterDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 30,660
DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Just to be clear...if I have a 50 point contract and I haven't banked/borrowed any points at the time I make the reservation....my ressie cannot exceed 50 points. Is that correct?
If you have 50 points in your contract, with none banked from the previous Use Year, you could make a reservation using up to 100 points by using the 50 points from the current Use Year and 50 from the next Use Year.

If you have a BWV contract of 50 points with a June Use Year (there is no Jan, Jul, Nov or May UY) you would have access to 50 points from the May, 2013 Use Year. Those points are valid for stays from June 1, 2013 thru May 31, 2014. To use them beyond May 31, 2014 they would need to be banked by the end of January, 2014.

For a trip in October, 2014 - you would need to bank the June, 2013 points and use the 50 points from the June, 2014 Use Year. You could also borrow from the June, 2015 Use Year and have up to 150 points to make that reservation. When using the 11 month Home Resort reservation priority, only points from your Home Resort (BWV) would be considered for use. The SSR points will not be considered in any fashion until 7 months before arrival.

Reservations may be made based on the number of points that will be available at the time of the reservation. Borrowing can only be done when making a reservation. If the reservation you wish to make will only require 80 points, borrowing from 2015 would not be needed.
__________________
Doc
WebmasterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
I know I could bank/borrow points on my BWV contract...but my question is could I still book the room since I have a BWV contract, even though the contract won't cover the points I need? In this scenario I would have 100 points when checkin time comes (50 from BWV and 50 from SSR). I hope this makes sense!!!
In regards to your SSR contract, you could book as many nights as possible using BWV points 11 months out, then try to add on additional nights using your SSR points at 7 months out, subject to availability. For a trip during F&W, availability 7 months out will be extremely limited or non-existent for Standard View or Boardwalk View at BWV.
__________________
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
In regards to your SSR contract, you could book as many nights as possible using BWV points 11 months out, then try to add on additional nights using your SSR points at 7 months out, subject to availability. For a trip during F&W, availability 7 months out will be extremely limited or non-existent for Standard View or Boardwalk View at BWV.
F&W is why I'm looking into buying a BWV contract. My plan to to buy the smallest I'll need to go once per year (about 70-80 points if I get a standard studio). So I was curious to know if I could go ahead and book 80 pt ressie with a 50 point BWV contract. It sounds like I can...but at the time of making that ressie I'd have to borrow points from the next year. My best bet is to just buy a contract that will slightly exceed my projected points each year...then bank the difference or rent them.
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
JaimeA
Mouseketeer
 
JaimeA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
F&W is why I'm looking into buying a BWV contract. My plan to to buy the smallest I'll need to go once per year (about 70-80 points if I get a standard studio). So I was curious to know if I could go ahead and book 80 pt ressie with a 50 point BWV contract. It sounds like I can...but at the time of making that ressie I'd have to borrow points from the next year. My best bet is to just buy a contract that will slightly exceed my projected points each year...then bank the difference or rent them.
We own at BWV and we love it. The best advice I received on the boards is to buy where you want to stay. If you want to go to BWV at F&W every year I suggest owning enough bWv points to cover that. It is a great feeling to log on at 11 months and get what ever I need and not worry about waiting for the 7 month window.

Enjoy!!
__________________


JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
F&W is why I'm looking into buying a BWV contract. My plan to to buy the smallest I'll need to go once per year (about 70-80 points if I get a standard studio).
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
In this scenario I would have 100 points when checkin time comes (50 from BWV and 50 from SSR). I hope this makes sense!!!
If they allowed this (booking a reservation 11 months out, paying for it at check-in with any points you've got) MS would be allowing members to circumvent the home resort points booking advantage.

Just being an owner at BWV is not sufficient to allow you book there 11 months out. You must have enough BWV points in the correct UY at the time you make the reservation if you want to book something in the home resort points booking window.

The points have the booking priority, not the owner. That's why you can have points from a resort you do not own transferred into your account and use them to book at that resort 11 months out. The booking priority is attached to the points.
__________________
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeA View Post
We own at BWV and we love it. The best advice I received on the boards is to buy where you want to stay. If you want to go to BWV at F&W every year I suggest owning enough bWv points to cover that. It is a great feeling to log on at 11 months and get what ever I need and not worry about waiting for the 7 month window.

Enjoy!!
Thank you! Would you expect that I would have any issues getting a standard studio during F&W if I book at the 11 month window?
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
JaimeA
Mouseketeer
 
JaimeA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post

Thank you! Would you expect that I would have any issues getting a standard studio during F&W if I book at the 11 month window?
We don't normally go at that time but I booked standard for the week of thanksgiving right at 11 month mark and was fine. I think if you are online at 11 months you won't have an issue. If you wait until 10 months then it might be gone but again I don't have any first hand knowledge on that time frame. I think you will be fine! Enjoy! We love that area!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________


JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Thank you! Would you expect that I would have any issues getting a standard studio during F&W if I book at the 11 month window?
Like people said in the last thread, if you're online as soon as the 11-month window opens, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting standard. I would give yourself enough of a cushion that if circumstances forced you into the higher-cost view, you wouldn't have to cancel the plans for a trip.

My question is, why would you buy a small SSR contract if you don't want to stay there? I can understand when people buy bigger SSR contracts to use as cheaper, last-minute points. But if you know you want to stay at BWV, why not just buy enough points for your needs there? Or were you just buying the SSR contract because you thought you could use them toward a BWV reservation at 11 months?
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

Like people said in the last thread, if you're online as soon as the 11-month window opens, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting standard. I would give yourself enough of a cushion that if circumstances forced you into the higher-cost view, you wouldn't have to cancel the plans for a trip.

My question is, why would you buy a small SSR contract if you don't want to stay there? I can understand when people buy bigger SSR contracts to use as cheaper, last-minute points. But if you know you want to stay at BWV, why not just buy enough points for your needs there? Or were you just buying the SSR contract because you thought you could use them toward a BWV reservation at 11 months?
I was just using SSR as an example. I thought if I could book BW in the scenario I described it would be smart to own points at 2 resorts and give me two 11 month windows.
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.