Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Anyone want to talk about the photography aspect of last week's events?

[I am referring to the Boston Marathon bombings and subsequent identification and capture of the two bombing suspects.]

I haven't read any first hand accounts yet from photographers who captured the carnage.

I have seen some comments critical of some disturbing photographs that were published.

Seems as though some of the amateur photographs and video from every day photographers was very helpful to the FBI in identifying the suspects.

Thoughts?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
pieface
Mouseketeer

pictures

Thank God they had the pictures of these savages at the scene it broke the case wide open and led to their death and capture. The other pictures did not bother me because I am used to seeing the real thing but I can understand this would be disturbing to others. I can understand others point of view how they found them offensive to see but this is real life. I can understand how they may hurt the victims families.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
scoolover
DIS Veteran

I saw a photo in Sports Illustrated that was pretty gruesome. It had lots of blood and carnage and I noticed a foot all alone. My first thought was, I wonder if they saw that before they printed it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The scene WAS horrible and to pretend it wasn't doesn't do it justice.

I have also day dreamed about being there and snapping off a few myself. What a horrible day.

There was a Boston Globe photographer that got a few of the highly published photos like the one with the three cops near the fallen runner. From a photo perspective, right place - right time or wrong place - wrong time! Guess it depends on your perspective.

scoolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

If this is the world in which we live, then we need to see it.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Here is an article posted on dpreview.com that was originally in the Guardian. It quotes one of the photogs that was on the scene.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04...hotojournalism
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
If this is the world in which we live, then we need to see it.

I agree

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

On one hand I think people have a right to know. But on the other hand how much is too much? How gruesome is too far? How many pictures are too many? Photographers have been struggling with this line since the first wartime photographs were shot during the Mexican-American war.

In the past the government has regulated the dissemination of news photo, film and video. But with the internet and this free flow of information that regulation is now in the direct hands of the people. And I'm not sure we, as a society, are making the best choices in what to share. We've lost all regard for privacy, human dignity and compassion. We as viewers pour over the images of the carnage and become detached and desensitized. We forget that each of those victims lying bloody on the pavement is a person. and we gobble up every single scrap of media we can. When images of horrific events are thrust at us over and over they cease to have impact for many.

Does anyone remember back on September 11th when the media decided to stop playing video of the World Trade Center buildings collapsing? One network said it was taking away the impact of a horrific event. After one network stopped most of the others followed suit. I really think the internet needs to take a cue from the network exec who had the guts to make that call back then.

I am glad that the photos and video were able to help police. It's not the first time that has happened, but certainly one of the most high profile recent cases. But having those photos and videos doesn't mean that they all need to be shared with the public. The story can be told, the horror can be conveyed, without showing every single bloody body. In fact, a few key images would have a lot more impact.

Putting my soapbox away now.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
cjstarr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
On one hand I think people have a right to know. But on the other hand how much is too much? How gruesome is too far? How many pictures are too many? Photographers have been struggling with this line since the first wartime photographs were shot during the Mexican-American war.

In the past the government has regulated the dissemination of news photo, film and video. But with the internet and this free flow of information that regulation is now in the direct hands of the people. And I'm not sure we, as a society, are making the best choices in what to share. We've lost all regard for privacy, human dignity and compassion. We as viewers pour over the images of the carnage and become detached and desensitized. We forget that each of those victims lying bloody on the pavement is a person. and we gobble up every single scrap of media we can. When images of horrific events are thrust at us over and over they cease to have impact for many.

Does anyone remember back on September 11th when the media decided to stop playing video of the World Trade Center buildings collapsing? One network said it was taking away the impact of a horrific event. After one network stopped most of the others followed suit. I really think the internet needs to take a cue from the network exec who had the guts to make that call back then.

I am glad that the photos and video were able to help police. It's not the first time that has happened, but certainly one of the most high profile recent cases. But having those photos and videos doesn't mean that they all need to be shared with the public. The story can be told, the horror can be conveyed, without showing every single bloody body. In fact, a few key images would have a lot more impact.

Well Said photo_chick I agree.
June 6, 2010 Movie Resort, MK, Epcot, HS, & AK
Our next trip to Walt Disney World ???

Think Outside the BOX!!!
My Camera is a Sony A57
cjstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I agree with photo chick, how much is too much? Unfortunately, as photographers we usually don't make that choice. That's made above our paygrade! Our job is to record it. I've been in situations where your recording an event, something happens and you have to make a choice. Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call. Its difficult for me because I spent 39 years as a first responder. To lay back and let others handle it, isn't in my make-up, but I have to.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
wdw1976
Mouseketeer

Well said...And I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post

I was born and brought up in Boston...
Six members of my family were at the finish line...
You nailed what I have felt all week! Thank You!
wdw1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
cjstarr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I agree with photo chick, how much is too much? Unfortunately, as photographers we usually don't make that choice. That's made above our paygrade! Our job is to record it. I've been in situations where your recording an event, something happens and you have to make a choice. Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call. Its difficult for me because I spent 39 years as a first responder. To lay back and let others handle it, isn't in my make-up, but I have to.
Gianna'sPapa we seem to be cut from the same mold. I was an EMT for 10 years in a high pace environment namely Anderson SC and Charleston SC. So I understand what you mean when you say " Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call." I still have the problem of trying to lay back and let others handle it. It doesn't play well with me as you say, "it, isn't in my make-up".
I'm sure that we have seem more then we will ever be able to forget.
June 6, 2010 Movie Resort, MK, Epcot, HS, & AK
Our next trip to Walt Disney World ???

Think Outside the BOX!!!
My Camera is a Sony A57
cjstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstarr View Post
Gianna'sPapa we seem to be cut from the same mold. I was an EMT for 10 years in a high pace environment namely Anderson SC and Charleston SC. So I understand what you mean when you say " Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call." I still have the problem of trying to lay back and let others handle it. It doesn't play well with me as you say, "it, isn't in my make-up".
I'm sure that we have seem more then we will ever be able to forget.
Exactly, with 39 years in law enforcement and 4 years in the Marine Corps (13 months in Viet Nam) prior to that, I've seen enough for any one lifetime. I think that is why I enjoy working in sports entertainment. Its all about the good times. Of course, there are those days when something tragic happens in sports. The day Danny Wheldon was killed at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway was extremely stressful. Its hard watching a friend die, even if it was doing something he loved. Anyway, we move on just like those in Boston, Newtown, West and others. We send our prayers to all those affected in these tragedies.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Watertown Man Captures Photos Of Violent Shootout From His Bedroom Window (on his iPhone!)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/2...edroom-window/

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

This Nikon shooter inadvertently captures best photos of bombers, subsequenty used by the FBI:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/2...ston-marathon/

I guess we never know when we're out there what we might get!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

I very much agree with photo_chick post. I live not far from Boston. I had 5 friends that were at the finish line that day and by the grace of God were not physically injured. Another friend of mine has 2 friends that were seriously injured. I can tell you....You have seen their faces in these graphic photos.
As a photographer myself (at times I have taken fire photos) there are some photos I have taken in the moment that only my eyes have ever seen due to the circumstances. I also agree that a story can be told with out the graphic nature of some of these photos. Obviously in this case I would have turned my photos as well over to the FBI for review and if they posted something it would be out of my hands.
Please keep all of the victims both the physically injured and emotionally injured of the Boston Marathon in your prayer. Thanks you!

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Wishes2you is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: