Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
tehSAC
Mouseketeer

Thinking of trying a cruise

My wife and I have been talking about possibly cruising with Disney this fall. She is hesitant about it, but I think I have talked her into trying a small 3 day cruise. With that being said, October would be this window we could possibly set sail.

Is that a bad time to cruise, or is it hit or miss?

Is there any information or podcasts you could refer me to for first time cruisers?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

I have cruised in oct and it was nice though extremely humid. U have a slight chance of hurricane weather but if ur at sea they go around. I would go minimum 4 day. 3 not long enough. The first night u are not on ship long.

disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

The 3 day is a BLAST, a great way to go for those who aren't sure (even smarter is to tack on a Disney, Sea World or Universal day beforehand -disney parks my personal preference but I like sea world too.) If she doesn't completely enjoy it all, I wonder if she isn't from an alien planet?

Your water will be warmer than our April cruise was. The only concern is Hurricane season. Might be fine though. I'm sure DCL won't let you blow away. Another advantage is the 3 day doesn't go that far from land. In my case in April, I never felt much at all motion from the ocean. I think it's because close to FL and the Bahama islands, there isn't a lot of open ocean, so that could help too.

I hope you have as great a time as we did! In our first 3 hrs, we had all decided that we need to book one in the future that is longer. But if given only the 3 day option, I would board a 3 day again in a minute, it was that good.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

As far as information is concerned, have you ordered the DVD from DCL? It does a really good job of highlighting what is available to do, a little bit about the food, etc. Also the Dreams Unlimited Website has a lot of useful information. If you have any questions the DIS boards are a great place to ask. We are planning our first cruise at the moment, and everyone on these boards have just been so helpful. :D
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylove69 View Post
I have cruised in oct and it was nice though extremely humid. U have a slight chance of hurricane weather but if ur at sea they go around. I would go minimum 4 day. 3 not long enough. The first night u are not on ship long.
4 night minimum (our 1st cruise was a 7 night & we were hooked), as noted above, a 3 night just goes by to quick, you're just barely unpacked & it's time to disembark. Just my 2 cents.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
DisneyOrBustColorado
Mouseketeer

Yes, I would recommend ordering the free Disney Cruise Line Planning DVD.

We cruised a 7 night Western Caribbean last October & LOVED it! The weather was absolutely perfect! I did not find it to be humid at all.

Our first cruise was also a 3 night cruise & it was WAY too short so our most recent was of course a 7 night.

You can see details on our trip report here: http://FantasyHalloween2012.TradingTales.com
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
GWS
Earning My Ears

My DW and I first cruise was a DCL 3 days out of PC because we were not sure if we would like cruises. Turns out we were disappointed when it was over......wished we booked a 7 day-er. We absolute loved it and got hooked and now we try to go regularly that we know our DS loves them too.

I am not sure what the weather would be like in October, I guess it all depends on what ship and port you are going on.

I think a 3 day DCL would be great way to get your wife’s feet wet.
GWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

My first and only, so far, dis cruise was 7 nighter last October. Weather was perfect for us, but remember weather anytime of year is unpredictable. But again it was perfect mid October. I wanted to live on the ship so 7 days was way too short for me
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Happy100
Mouseketeer

love October

We have done a December, October, August and February cruise. October was our favorite by far. You do run risk of Hurricane so I would get travel insurance but outside that the weather is great and ocean still warm enough to swim in.

Disney Wonder 8/24/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Another vote for a longer cruise than 3 night.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Agree...do a 4-nighter instead so you'll have a full sea day to enjoy all the ship has to offer. We've only ever done one 3-nighter and it felt like as soon as we took the last item out of the suitcase, it was time to put it all back in & go home.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

3 nighter are "for the locals" or those of us that have cruised many times. Man, the three nights just fly by. We did a 4 night cruise in January followed by a 3 night cruise a week later. The 4 nights was "more fun" because we had more time to enjoy. The 3 night cruise was board, eat lunch, unpack, blink, pack up and leave.

Itinerary
Day 1 - 12 hrs)
Board between noon and 3
Lunch, safety drill, unpack, dinner
Evening activities

Day 2 - 16 hrs (28))
Wake Up, Breakfast and Port
Return to ship
Clean Up for Dinner / evening activites

If Three Night Cruise
Day 3 - 16 hrs (44 - 3 are getting ready to leave))
Wake up, Breakfast,
Castaway Cay
Return to ship
*Start Packing
Clean up for dinner
*Finish packing
Evening activities

Day 4 - 3 hrs (47))
If Main Seating - breakfast at 6:30am, late seating 8:00am
by 9am - off the ship

If 4 Night Cruise

Day 3 - 16 hrs (44))
Wake Up, Breakfast, Sea Day or Castaway Cay
Clean Up for Evening: Dinner Shows activities

Day 4 - 16 hrs (60 - 3 are getting ready to leave)) )
Wake Up, Breakfast, Sea Day or Castaway Cay
*Start Packing
Clean up for dinner
*Finish packing
Evening activities

Day 5 - 3 hrs (63))
If Main Seating - breakfast at 6:30am, late seating 8:00am
by 9am - off the ship

So by my calculation we get 63 hours of fun on an 4 night cruise vs 47 on a 3 night one. That's a lot of extra time to be pampered/relaxing on the ship vs being back home (or even at WDW)
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
Agree...do a 4-nighter instead so you'll have a full sea day to enjoy all the ship has to offer. We've only ever done one 3-nighter and it felt like as soon as we took the last item out of the suitcase, it was time to put it all back in & go home.
Agreed. I just talked to my Mom, who in fairness, is slowing down a little bit. But even she said it was the first trip in years that she would turn around and do all over again! But for us the 3 Sea days and 1 Park day were a great mini trip. I would like to do a 4 day but if 3 was all I could do, I'd still be very happy with that! And I was! We all were. Don't want you to get the idea that 3 days is a waste, cuz its definite not. But with 1 sea day, it would have been a little bit more relaxing. Hoping for 4-5 next year...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehSAC View Post
My wife and I have been talking about possibly cruising with Disney this fall. She is hesitant about it, but I think I have talked her into trying a small 3 day cruise. With that being said, October would be this window we could possibly set sail.

Is that a bad time to cruise, or is it hit or miss?

Is there any information or podcasts you could refer me to for first time cruisers?

Thanks
I agree with some of the others that a 3 day is a great way to experience a cruise just to see if it's something you like. My DH and I have cruised before (although not on DCL), but our two DSs never have, so we are taking our first DCL cruise in December for 3 nights. I figured this was enough time for our DSs to see how they liked cruising. Yes, a 4 day is a little better time wise since you have 1 full sea day, but my thinking is that if one or both of our boys don't really like it, that extra day (especially just being at sea) will feel like an eternity and might not make for a good time. We've never cruised in October so I can't help as far as weather.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: