Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
delux
Earning My Ears

online check-in

I may be over-thinking this but...
We check in a week from Wednesday. What is your experience with online check-in? I love it because you don't have to wait as long. But I'm a little worried about where our rooms are going to be. So, my theory is if I DON'T do online check in, I may be better able to change my room if I don't like where it is located.
Thoughts?
Wilderness Lodge 2005
delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stopped using on line check in. When using it I was ending up with rooms out in the resort boonies. One time I was even downgraded. The only way I would use it again would be if I didn't care at all what room I ended up with. Maybe if I was staying at POFQ as that resort is so small, you really can't have a bad room location.
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done online check-in at least 10 times. Always been happy with our room assignment. No reason not to do it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
delux
Earning My Ears

I guess it was all for not.
I just checked in online. The last time I did it I was asked room preference, did I prefer my room be near a pool? or near a bus stop? Last time I picked "near a bus stop" and ended up in the back of the building. (POR magnolia) So, close to the bus stop but further away from the cafeteria. Not a big deal since the resort is so small. I did not want to pay extra for "preferred room"
This time when I checked in the only choice I was given was corner room or room on ground floor or top floor. Bottom line less choices. Oh well.
Wilderness Lodge 2005
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

we have been lucky and done online check in and got our room preferences. But it won't take you any longer to ask for a room change whether you are in the online check in line or the regular check in line.

The only difference is if you do online check in and DO get your room preferences your check in process will only take about 3 minutes.

Doing or not doing online check in doesn't cause the room assigner to be more likely to give you your room requests. The rooms are assigned days before you ever get there no matter how you check in.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post

Doing or not doing online check in doesn't cause the room assigner to be more likely to give you your room requests. The rooms are assigned days before you ever get there no matter how you check in.
The rooms are assigned a few days out. However, the CMs are still able to take your assigned room from you and give it to someone else, if someone arrives before you and asks for what you have. I thought doing on line check in would at least guarantee you get the room type you had booked, but it doesn't.

And if you do decide you don't like the room you have been assigned, it will take a few minutes longer to check in, as they will have to void the packet they have ready for you, and issue you a new one. Basically they will have to start the whole process over again from scratch. Which will not make you popular with the people in line behind you, who were thinking you were grabbing your packet and going.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I've stopped using on line check in. When using it I was ending up with rooms out in the resort boonies. One time I was even downgraded. The only way I would use it again would be if I didn't care at all what room I ended up with...
ditto
johnsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

I have never had any problems with online check in. If I don't like my room, which has never happened, I would go back and ask for a change. Disney does assign rooms about a week before your arrival based on many factors including time of arrive (if known) & preference, but they also have a policy that they want to get guests in their rooms ASAP after arrival. If they have your room ready and its not what you want let them know you are willing to wait for the preferred room if possible. Good Luck and have a great trip!

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

It may depend on when you visit, but I have done online check in for every trip since they first offered it (except my opening day BLT trip - they blocked it) and I have had great room locations. Part of it could be that I typically arrive around 4pm, so I'm arriving when there should been plenty of available rooms. Or it could be because I don't really make any room requests, so they just choose what they consider to be the best room available. I don't know, but I have had some really great locations.

It used to be that the priority was on getting you into a room at your posted arrival time, and if they could meet your request at the same time, fine. Now, they give you an option during the check in process to select whether it's more important to get a room right away, or more important that your room requests are considered in the room assignment even if you have to wait for the room. So if you haven't tried it since they made that change, I would give it a try.

Also, remember that your room requests should be on the reservation before you do online check in. The few options they give for "requests" don't really cover what most people are really wanting as far as room locations and options. Having the information on your reservation ahead of time is your best shot at getting what you want.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
delux
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The rooms are assigned a few days out. However, the CMs are still able to take your assigned room from you and give it to someone else, if someone arrives before you and asks for what you have. I thought doing on line check in would at least guarantee you get the room type you had booked, but it doesn't.

And if you do decide you don't like the room you have been assigned, it will take a few minutes longer to check in, as they will have to void the packet they have ready for you, and issue you a new one. Basically they will have to start the whole process over again from scratch. Which will not make you popular with the people in line behind you, who were thinking you were grabbing your packet and going.
I know it's not a guarantee. So I was wondering which room request to make, and should I wait to check in to avoid holding up the line. But I really like online check in so I was on the fence.
The last time I used it was in February and I was able to select weather I wanted a room near a pool or a room near a bus stop. Either one could mean a room close to the main building or far away from the main building so who knows, right? This time I did online check in and neither of those options were given. Only choice was top floor bottom floor or corner room.
Wilderness Lodge 2005
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I had a very interesting CM the other day when I added the remainder of my party to my new reservation with the summer discount.

He insisted I NOT do online check-in, since I had two requests. He said that online check-in would cancel out the requests on my reservation and revert over to whatever I checked or didn't check on the online check-in. So for instance, if I did online check-in and did not pick any of the categories as listed, because it didn't match my request, my reservation would read as no requests and I would be buried in the back part of the resort.

He was very knowledgeable on all the other aspects of my reservation, so I am wondering if this is true......just a thought.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Playgrnd
Mouseketeer

We have always done online check-in and several times we had to request a new location. CM has always been very accommodating to relocate us. At the end this is a win/win situation, we take advantage of having our package ready upon arrival and having the room/location we can enjoy!
Wilderness Lodge - Nov 2012
Wilderness Lodge & DCL Fantasy - Nov 2013
Beach Club - Nov 2014

Playgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by delux View Post
I know it's not a guarantee. So I was wondering which room request to make, and should I wait to check in to avoid holding up the line. But I really like online check in so I was on the fence.
The last time I used it was in February and I was able to select weather I wanted a room near a pool or a room near a bus stop. Either one could mean a room close to the main building or far away from the main building so who knows, right? This time I did online check in and neither of those options were given. Only choice was top floor bottom floor or corner room.
Did you pay for an upgraded room, such as a water view or a preferred? If you did that may override any requests. Just a thought.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: