Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #91
Disney Springs
Mouseketeer

There was a specific McDonalds (drive-thru) location we would go to, where we'd have a reoccurring issue. We'd ask for salt. The drive-thru employee would say, "Salt in bag." We get home and dig through the bag. No salt to be found.

I should add this specific location had employees working the drive-thru who spoke little english. Huge pet peeve of mine! If you are going to work the drive-thru, learn more english! One time we asked for ketchup, and they gave us tons of black pepper instead. Anyway, back to the 'salt' story.

After a few visits, with the same dialog, ("Salt?", "Salt in bag."), we caught on quickly that we'd never get any salt. We didn't want to hold up a drive-thru searching the bag for salt, that was never in there anyway! So we started asking for "extra" salt. So now we have salt, but it's not "extra". Had to trick them into giving us salt somehow!

My favorite fast food drive-thru is Chick-fil-A. They are super fast with drive-thru, and they always remember to ask you for any "extras". Always got salt, dipping sauces, salt, etc. Love them!

WDW: POFQ 2002, WL 2003, PC/BWI 2007, AKL 2010, AKL 2014
Disney Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #92
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieCat View Post
To those saying I should get another job, I would suggest you don't know all the facts.

#1 I walk to work, so I had to find a place close enough that I can walk there.

#2 I already have another job, and that's being a mom to a special needs teenager. I was lucky enough to find something I can do several odd hours everyday and still be home when I am needed. And, these times change over the summer.

#3 I adore the people I work with - bright, funny people who have become my friends, and do take pride in doing my job well. As I said before, I do like helping people...though the ones who insist on being rude, not so much. And there are some days when I feel like I want to find the nearest wall and smash my head into it repeatedly.
Yep, you loooove helping people. Unless they want ketchup.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #93
JosieCat
Mouseketeer

If you want ketchup, ask for it. I will push the button and make sure it appears on the screen and they know to include it in the bag.

Don't make it sound like I'm trying to deny anyone ketchup here, because that is not what's happening.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #94
JosieCat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Yep, you loooove helping people. Unless they want ketchup.
You know, your ketchup seems to be of extreme importance for you. Let me make you a suggestion. Why don't you buy a bottle of ketchup and keep it in your car? That way you will have it, even if you go to a place that doesn't ask if you want any..(or heaven forbid they do ask and should make a mistake).

My husband has severe gluten allergies, so we keep a bottle of gluten free soy sauce in the car so we never have to worry about "will the sushi bar have safe soy sauce for him". Just a little tip from me to you.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #95
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Sounds like perhaps you do not belong on the other side of the drive thru window
Some don't belong, you're right. But others just make the day.

My DDs go to their local McDonald's every morning for their fountain sodas. The take-away window cashiers know them by sight and recognize if they've traded cars for any reason. They always have a cheerful word when DDs pull up to the window; once when I was with DD#1 (who, poor child, looks like me), the cashier looked in the car and said "Oh,, you must be the mommy!" Yep, I'm the mommy - and payee when I'm in the car.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #96
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I agree with your post, but I could take the other angle on this. If you can't understand english, maybe you don't belong at the other end of the drive through. If I had a dollar for everytime I clearly spoke "I NEED A NUMBER 2, WITH A LARGE COKE, THAT"S ALL" "A number 3 with a sprite?" NO A NUMBER 2 WITH A COKE!! A small Dr. Pepper?

I swear this happens constantly, and I make a point to speak very slowly, very clearly and very loudly, but half the time I get that in response.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #97
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieCat View Post
If you want ketchup, ask for it. I will push the button and make sure it appears on the screen and they know to include it in the bag.

Don't make it sound like I'm trying to deny anyone ketchup here, because that is not what's happening.

OP, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Perfect example that you cannot make everyone happy no matter what you do!
  • I love my cold ketchup from home, I am glad they don't automatically put in the bag.
  • I will ask for things to be added and removed from my order in the drive thru, but I won't do multiple orders.
  • I will ask for for extra salsa or picante sauce, I am a Texas girl!
  • My pets, children and my husband will not be ordering. I love that man but he takes 5 minutes to decide what pizza to order at Little Caesars...they have 2 kinds...cheese or pepperoni!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #98
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post
Lol I don't have trouble usually except for Dunkin Donuts.
Dunks never gets your coffee right. They train you early to just drink whatever.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #99
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Op I can tell you do like your job but just like the rest of us you have complaints. Don't let the holier then thou group get you down.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #100
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001

Dunks never gets your coffee right. They train you early to just drink whatever.
Lol yup. I can order a med regular and get a large black.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #101
Poohbug
Sherlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05 View Post
OP, I feel your pain. I have a similar list of "you might not belong in the drive thru if's..." but mine all pertain to BANKING!!!! Yes, we have some serious issues with idiocy at any bank with a drive thru as well...

And FWIW, I was VERY good at my job (before injury/disability) and I LOVED my job, but I too, had moments of tongue in cheek venting over some of the insanity that goes on.

I will only bless you with my favorite: divorced couple who is up in years, still lives together for WHATEVER reason, but so obviously doesn't get along.(ex) Wife who doesn't drive, makes (ex)Husband drive her through the drivethrough, wait for it: THE WRONG WAY

Yes, I said the wrong way! as in Opposite direction of oncoming traffic, (which, by the way, meant driving the wrong way up a one way street that our drive thru exited on to) just because she did not want him "seeing her deposit, or possibly stealing her money/and or account info if he were to drop it into the drawer for her!!!

I think that being able to vent about your job and the craziness that happens on a daily basis enables you to sorta decompress and go "back at it again" the next day willing and able to always put your best foot forward. If you couldn't blow off some steam, then you might not be as willing or able to always do your best!!!

You do have to find the humor in everything you do.

I have worked both FF drive up and bank drive up and I have seen a lot of crazy stuff. Hey, it keeps the job interesting.

The last bank I worked for allowed customers to purchase bank checks and money orders through the drive thru, really anything the customer wanted, we were supposed to let them do in the drive thru. ???? I always felt bad for the poor person behind them.

One time I was having problems getting the pneumatic tube into the bank. We could not figure out what was wrong and I am getting nervous because the customer's transaction in stuck in the tube. Well, after much questioning, I find out that the customer has packed the tube with loose change. PSA-the regular bank tube cannot move 10 pounds of change, please bring that in.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #102
JosieCat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post

I have worked both FF drive up and bank drive up and I have seen a lot of crazy stuff. Hey, it keeps the job interesting.

The last bank I worked for allowed customers to purchase bank checks and money orders through the drive thru, really anything the customer wanted, we were supposed to let them do in the drive thru. ???? I always felt bad for the poor person behind them.

One time I was having problems getting the pneumatic tube into the bank. We could not figure out what was wrong and I am getting nervous because the customer's transaction in stuck in the tube. Well, after much questioning, I find out that the customer has packed the tube with loose change. PSA-the regular bank tube cannot move 10 pounds of change, please bring that in.

ZOMG! Bahahahahahaha!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #103
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post

totally been there- done that!!!

It seems to me that it is a cost saving effort that they don't actually throw in things like Ketchup or any extra condiments unless they are requested. even 1/2 a cent a packet adds up over a year's time...

There was a comedic routine yeas ago, can't remember who/what/where just remember: "AND A LARGE ORANGE DRINK!!!! " (muffle muffle muffle from the speaker) "NOOOO!!!!! Large ORANGE DRINK!!!!" This was one of those pop culture references that my group of friends always seemed to throw around, and hilarity ensued?!?!

Now, I'm off to google it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e1Hxy_kQU

LOL I found it!!!!! Funny stuff!!!!

Last edited by bankgirl05; 04-23-2013 at 01:23 PM.
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #104
JosieCat
Mouseketeer

I know Sinbad had a really funny one, but it was having more than one person in the car..."'I want a cheeseburger...fries...and a coke'....what do you want? Okay 'and a cheeseburger....fries...and a coke.....'you in the back seat what do you want? (nod nod) 'We need a cheeseburger....fries....and a coke...'"
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #105
JenM
DIS Veteran

My very first job was at a Wendy's, and I worked the drive-thru for the whole summer. I'm pretty much in agreement with the OP - we had a summer camp bus try to come through once!

The funniest one I ever had was a guy who's friend was driving the car behind him. He asked that when his friend drove up the window, if I could ask "Haven't I seen you on America's Most Wanted?"

I had no idea what that was about, but I did it and the guy burst out laughing...it was some running gag between the two of them.

The drive-thru can be an interesting place to work.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: