Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Hilton Head Island Hotels?

We are travelling for my kids band trip at the end of May into early June and will be heading down to Orlando. We will be at the usual theme parks because of the band competition but after that we want to experience the East Coast. We had originally planned on visiting the Outer Banks of NC but since the kids are competing in Orlando we don't want to have to drive a great distance to get there. Hilton Head Island looks about six hours away which can be very doable for us. Does anyone have any hotels on the beach that they would recommend? I have been studying trip advisor as well. Any help would be appreciated.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
ColorsOfTheWind
Mouseketeer

We love HHI! You will have such a great time there

Have you looked into the Holiday Inn Oceanfront? It's not crazy expensive, it's oceanfront, and it's really nice. Another option could be the Omni, but that will be a little bit more expensive.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike
We are travelling for my kids band trip at the end of May into early June and will be heading down to Orlando. We will be at the usual theme parks because of the band competition but after that we want to experience the East Coast. We had originally planned on visiting the Outer Banks of NC but since the kids are competing in Orlando we don't want to have to drive a great distance to get there. Hilton Head Island looks about six hours away which can be very doable for us. Does anyone have any hotels on the beach that they would recommend? I have been studying trip advisor as well. Any help would be appreciated.
How many days? How many in a room? What kind of budget? Are you looking to go out for meals or wanting to have the ability to prepare some of your own. Are you looking to stay just at the hotel/beach, or do you want access to all the activities?
That would help to give you some suggestions. We've been frequent travelers to HHI for over 15 years and have stayed in a variety of places.

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

We're thinking of going next year and all info would be great.
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 17 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfTheWind View Post
We love HHI! You will have such a great time there

Have you looked into the Holiday Inn Oceanfront? It's not crazy expensive, it's oceanfront, and it's really nice. Another option could be the Omni, but that will be a little bit more expensive.
The Beach House a Holiday Inn Resort looks good. Now I'm off to show my wife.

2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
How many days? How many in a room? What kind of budget? Are you looking to go out for meals or wanting to have the ability to prepare some of your own. Are you looking to stay just at the hotel/beach, or do you want access to all the activities?
That would help to give you some suggestions. We've been frequent travelers to HHI for over 15 years and have stayed in a variety of places.
Looking for 2-3 nights. We will eat out everytime except for breakfast. We really just want an area to eat fairly cheaply for lunch and then a nice dinner. Most of our time will be relaxing on the beach and at the pool area of the hotel. The Beach House a Holiday Inn Resort looks good as its an easy walk right out to the beach. Something like that would be awesome. Our favorite West Coast Hotel is the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. For this hotel though we need something in the $200-$300 range I would think. We are a family of five. Thanks for any help here.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

http://www.spinnakerresorts.com/reso...e/rental-rates

I'd suggest this place for a good location not far from the beach and the Coligny shopping area. It will give you a lot more room for the buck. (I've stayed there and it was very good).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Love Hilton Head Island! A couple nice places...

Marriott Hotel in Palmetto Dunes Plantation...beachfront with oceanfront pool and restaurants.
Marriott Timeshares...Grande Ocean and Surfwatch
Westin Hotel is also oceanfront.

A couple VERY affordable condo rentals...with pools and restaurant and oceanfront are Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort and Hilton Head Resort. We rent direct from owners and pay about $300 a week off season to $750-900 a week in prime season. Nice to have the extra space, second bath and shower and kitchen for same or less than a hotel room.

You can also rent direct from owners at Homeaway.com and vrbo.com. We love the villa complexes in Palmetto Dunes.

Hope this helps!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
KCmike

Thanks for the help. I'm off to do more researching.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

How about the Disney resort at Hilton Head? Then, you can extend the Disney fun a little bit longer. :-)

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
How about the Disney resort at Hilton Head? Then, you can extend the Disney fun a little bit longer. :-)
I priced it out and it was over $500 a night for a family of five. Whaaaat? To stay on the ocean at Holiday Inn it was in the $200's. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I priced it out and it was over $500 a night for a family of five. Whaaaat? To stay on the ocean at Holiday Inn it was in the $200's. I'm still trying to figure it all out.
That's why I mentioned the Waterside resort. We personally own at Marriott's Grande Ocean which we LOVE, but the cost to stay there is higher and I knew that Disney was even more so. Waterside is great because you can walk or ride bikes from there to so many places and you'll have restaurants and shops close by. I have also stayed in the Holiday Inn (many many years ago) and it was just too noisy for our taste. Besides it's only a hotel room. I think you'll want more space.

Good luck deciding. There are a lot of options in HH to choose from so I understand the need to do a lot of research.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Forgot to mention...two villa complexes either beachfront or right at beach are The Moorings and VillaMare. Both are near the Marriott Beachfront hotel and would give you more room for less money. You can rent them on vrbo and homeaway and maybe even direct on the Palmetto Dunes website.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

You should consider trying to rent vacation club points from a Disney Vacation Club owner to help with the cost of staying at Hilton Head. Renting points can save you a bundle on these units.
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC1861 View Post
You should consider trying to rent vacation club points from a Disney Vacation Club owner to help with the cost of staying at Hilton Head. Renting points can save you a bundle on these units.
I don't know too much about buying points. How often is their a scam on these?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: