Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Defiant Soon To Be 13 Year Old......

We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics .......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
lovedonald
Mouseketeer

Maybe he can have a special day where he gets to pick everything you guys do that day. He may love restaurants such as rainforest cafe or planet Hollywood. They may be more appealing for him. I am sure once he is there he will love it!
lovedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

Maybe with one of these...

Seriously, though teenagers are tough. Maybe dinner at his favorite restaurant?

My DD is 15 and she wants to eat at both Rainforest and T-Rex, so we are doing that to keep the coolness factor going for her!

I am sure someone else has a better idea than I do!

I am sending lots of pixie dust your way!

POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
si-am
DIS Veteran

I'd say let him pick the day's activities, and let him choose to NOT wear the bday button if that's what he wants.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I'd say let him pick the day's activities, and let him choose to NOT wear the bday button if that's what he wants.
Yes. If what will make him happiest is no attention from strangers, give him that as a gift. Not everyone loves the spotlight.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
MEK
DIS Veteran

haha - I hardly think defiant is refusing to wear a birthday button. I would say that is probably pretty common for a 13 year old boy. Defiant is when he refuses to get up in the morning and go to the parks with you or when he complains bitterly because he can't bring a friend.

I would just go with the flow and let him have a say in your activities. I'm sure you will all have a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! True, defiant isn't really how he is being but I didn't have enough room in the title to write what I really wanted to write.......He doesn't really seem to have a fav restaurant but he loved Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta and enjoyed 50's Prime Time last year......his main thing last year was the wave at Typhoon Lagoon, so that will for sure be a winner. He is also a big Test Track fan. Thanks again for the suggestions

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

When my son was 13 he no longer was interested in Disney, so we left him in the room one day all by himself with explicit instructions not to leave. After spending all day alone his attitude improved dramatically.

Typhoon lagoon sounds like fun. Does he like Disney Quest. That can be fun.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
tlwfun89
Mouseketeer

you can be strict about the button and tell him wear the button or don't go... thats what would have happened when we were kiddos back in the day or you could forget the button and see it as not so important as having a good time. Is there more to this than the button that is what I would be concerned with. I have three teens almost adults in age and one of mine likes to call the shots and is a bit controlling attention seeking now this I do not allow. I made shirts one year and my sisters kids (Teens)were adiment about not wearing them, I said ok and I still made them gave them to them and when all the adults and other kids in our group of 12 put them on they all said what the hay and decided it was better than fumbling through the what to wear debacle.
tlwfun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
disney2014plan
Mouseketeer

My 2p (or 2 cents) worth as a mother.

Is it really that important for him to wear a button? I am all for not letting your kids win battles with you, but he is growing up now and part of that is allowing him to make some decisions for himself. Would you insist on choosing his outfit now as if he were a 3 year old? I think you should let the little things go, let him pick something that he would like to do - as others have said, pick the park for the day or something minor like that.

Save the fights for the important stuff.

Good luck.
disney2014plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
FLLDYTRKR
Earning My Ears

Does he wear a ball cap while at the parks??? Maybe pin it on there...What about a backpack?? Pin it on there...

You could wear the button for him..When folks congradulate for it being your BD..Just smile and tell them it is his birthday..Believe me folks will understand when they see the BD boy is a teenager...

BTW If this is your worst problem with a near 13 yo ---you are a lucky woman...
FLLDYTRKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics .......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????
I agree with others about letting him pick the activities for the day. Definitely don't push the birthday button. Fasten your seat belt...the teen years are tough.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Our DS is 16, he refuses any kind of button. His favorite things at Disney are swimming and food. So we make sure that we work those things in for him.

He will not tell us what he likes to do, where he likes to eat, and I have had to drag the swimming out of him from previous years.

I agree teen years are interesting. I do catch DS having a blast at Disney often. I never say anything when he is having fun. I go with the moment and take pictures!

Good Luck! Teen Boys - Gotta Love Them!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

LOL. personally I think those button are ridiculously stupid and I'm closer to 63 than 13.
Secondly I'm really not into forcing people to do what they want to do especially stuff that is so not important.
Lastly, it's his birthday. Not much of a birthday if he's forced to do and wear stuff he'd rather not. Once again, I'm way older and the thought of being forced to wear say a goofy shirt simply for photo ops wouldn't make me "disney like".

It's his birthday, how about letting him pick and chose his activities and his wardrobe. If he decides to be "low key" absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

i agree let him pick the food park for a day and the rides..i have a 15 yr old son..and disney started losing its coolness..til he went on a band trip with 160 others..now he wants to go back...there are certain things worth being controlling over as a parent..a button i would not consider one of them. GIve them some freedom..give a little ...he will give a litle..compromise is key.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: