Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #46
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I think your timing was off for this vacation. The problem isn't travelling with a young child or baby - it's travelling with both of them together. I remember when I had nappers, there were months were the nap schedules just overlapped. Baby would nap from 9 - 11, 2 - 4, and toddler/preschooler would nap from 1 - 4. That gave me only 2 hours with both awake, when we could leave the house.

I traveled with #1 when she was a baby and toddler, but things became more complicated when #2 came (and #3, #4, #5). Vacations got MUCH easier when no one was napping!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #47
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Call the concierge and have them find you a mesh water sling somewhere, and have it delivered! Water slings are great; you can take little Miss Demanding right into the water with you. I used to do it all the time when mine were little.

As to the car seat, have you tried a different car seat? Or several different car seats? (Borrow from your friends for test drives if a baby store won't let you take a spin around the block with the floor model.) Sometimes the problem is the seat itself (and even if you have the safest-rated seat in the industry, if a child screams non-stop whilst in it, it's not safe, because that distracts the driver.) Also, a plastic mirror might help, though I'm guessing that you've already tried that.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #48
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Ya know, I have a Water Wrap & I left it at home. Silly me. I did wear the baby in an Ergo and Mai Tai and she happily napped while I strolled on the beach. I have a pic of that I'll upload later.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #50
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Sorry it was such a stressfull trip for you.
Hawaii is such a beautiful place. I would love to go to Aulain but for us it is just so out of our price range (5 airline tickets alone yikes!).
We have always traveled with our kids (and we have a huge age span of 5-23) and have never had any major issues. I would hate to be feeling the way you do. I am a SAHM and have been for 23 years and I guess I am just used to having them all with me all the time. They have all been really great travelers.
Hopefully the next trip you take will be more enjoyable as you can steal some breaks by putting the kids in the kids club
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #51
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

We're home now and as difficult as it was at times, I'm glad we went. My older daughter wants to go back tomorrow, but I think we're going to wait for a couple of years.
I'm home with the kids most of the time as I only work part time, so I'm used to keeping their schedule at home. It was more of a challenge on vacation with balancing it out with a tiny bit of fun time for me too.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

OP I feel your pain. I recall one trip to Hilton Head Island when my youngest was about 7 months old that I never even made it to the beach. I got to the the parking lot one day, but that was the closest I ever got. I cannot recall why that particular trip was so difficult, but it is the one I remember as being really tough. My 3rd child was more difficult in the car and with sleeping though. We had traveled when the others were little--my oldest went to Seattle from the east coast (sister's wedding) when she was only 6 weeks old and when we came home we were here less than 48 hours and went to England (business trip for DH) for a month. Neither of those trips were difficult. When my second one was about a month we went to Vero Beach for a week and that was one of the best trips we ever had (my second one was my easiest as far as sleeping and transitioning though). I dealt with it by telling myself that I would be dealing with a fussy baby wherever I was so it might as well have been on a balcony on Hilton Head Island as opposed to at home where I couldn't smell the salt water in the air. It does get better. My youngest is 6 now and we are all done with naps and that really does make things so much easier.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #53
merina888
Mouseketeer

I have a 4.5 year old and a 21 month old. We are a traveling family. My husband is not from the area where we live. So we have always traveled a lot to visit his family plus we are members of organizations where travel is encouraged. That being said, we have always traveled with out children from when they were very young. We do weekend trips with up to 8 hours of travel from home to our destination. My son had his first plane trip at 18 months and my daughter at 4 months (not by choice). People are right when they say you have to adjust your expectations when you travel with children. We tend to choose destinations that have something for them to do. And honestly in some ways it's more fun than before we had kids because we get to see things through their eyes. I agree with those posters who suggested taking shorter trips more frequently. I have also learned to not overpack, but to be sure to bring all the necessities. I always have tylenol, sunscreen and teething gel in our diaper bag. We generally choose to take our own carseats if we are riding in a car since we don't know what we'll get from a rental. It's a pain to drag through airports, but they are used to it and we know how it works in the car. I remember little things like our own pack-n-play sheets and blankets so they smell like home. I pack their snacks so they will have something to eat.

In the not too distant future, I want to take a Disney Cruise in Europe. It will be their first overseas trip. Hopefully all will go well.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #54
Skippy918
Mouseketeer

Even Disney itself is exhausting with young ones and we have my parents along to help. It's going to be awhile before we go on another trip.
Skippy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #55
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

We went to Hawaii with kids twice, 1st time my oldest was 20 months and the 2nd time my kids were 6, 4, and 10 months. We actually had an amazing trip, even with the time change from AZ to HI. On our trip with all 3, we hiked to the top of Diamond Head, spent a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center, went to the zoo, a luau, the Dole factory, and spent a lot of time at the beach.

What was key though was that our older ones didn't need to nap anymore and the baby napped wherever we were. Either in the wrap on my chest or the stroller or a towel on the beach under an umbrella. I'm not one who can sit in a hotel room on vacation so none of them really had that as an option, they just had to learn to adapt. My first was like your baby, where she had to sleep next to me, nursing practically nonstop, but my other 2 never had that luxury cause I couldn't do it with their older siblings, so they nursed and got put down and that was that. I can't take credit for that, partly their personalities, partly circumstance. Oh, and my little 2 have always gone to sleep between 6-6:30pm, even at home (still now, at 3 and 6.5 they go to bed at 6:30 and 7). We ate dinners as early as possible, sometimes bringing the kids in their PJs, and then put them to bed as soon as we got home (usually closer to 7/7:30). Sometimes they fell asleep in the car/stroller, others they lasted till we got to the room.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #56
christygobar
Mouseketeer

DD is 2.5 and she has traveled with us over the last 1 1/2 years. She does alright, but she's certainly changed the way we travel. We have done a cruise, WDW, New York and the FL keys with her. It has helped us when we are at a scenic place that we want to enjoy to try and get a balcony on our hotel - at least then maybe you can enjoy the ocean (albeit from afar!) while reading a book and not feeling so cooped up. Or a 2 bedroom suite helps too - at least the walls don't close up around you.

I second the PP who asked about your carseat. Are you still using a bucket seat? I found once DD could go into a convertible (we have a Radian in one car and Safety 1st Complete Air in the others she rides in) and could see herself in the mirror, she was a little more tolerant of the car.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that until I can explain to my kid(s) that the time will be vastly different from ours, we can only go about a 1-2 hour time difference at the moment, which limits us to the North American/Caribbean area I imagine no future trips to Hawaii or Europe are on our plate for another 5-6 years at least.

It sounds like you made the best of what you could. I'm in your boat with a daughter just a little younger than yours and one on the way. I love traveling and I hope that we can really start to enjoy ourselves as a family more when the kids are older!

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (37); DD1 (3) DD2 (<1)
christygobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #57
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by christygobar View Post
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that until I can explain to my kid(s) that the time will be vastly different from ours, we can only go about a 1-2 hour time difference at the moment, which limits us to the North American/Caribbean area I imagine no future trips to Hawaii or Europe are on our plate for another 5-6 years at least.
I really think you'd be okay travelling with your kids before that point. We did DCL cruises in Europe in 2007 when my kids were 3 and 11 months and again in 2010 when they were 6, 3, and 5 months, as well as a week in Paris and London with each one. We're heading back in June for B2B cruises and the kids are now 3, 6, and 9. If you spend the first 2 days getting them used to the time change, you'll be fine. I'm anticipating being the worst of my family this time because I'm pregnant and sick!

On the flights there, at least one kid slept most of the way each time, but in 2007 my 3yo stayed up the entire flight and entire next day. That was prefect though cause she went down hard that night, early, around 5pm, but she slept all night and was on a normal schedule the next day. In 2010 it was harder to be sure everyone stayed up all day, but we succeeded to hold them off till an early bedtime, and keep them up and moving again all day the next day, then they were basically okay.

It's not easy, but it can be done without it becoming unenjoyable and you won't have to swear off vacations for years.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #58
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Traveling with kids takes some adjusting to your style...
Both our girls have always been good at sleeping in the stroller or front pack so day naps are had on the go. Other than that we look at where we are traveling to, for us going to Australia has a negative time difference so they are in bed at 4pm and up at 3.30 for their day-even with some adjustments still not great, Hawaii they would go to bed at 10pm and get up at 9.30am much better. We also book a hotel with a deck so we could have a couple of drinks on the deck while they slept if we could =)
DD3 will be taking her 6th long haul trip (over 12 hours flying) and DD18months will be her 3rd we've never regretted taking thr trips or thought we should wait...
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #59
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Try thinking of this as a planning trip - you have an idea of what your issues may be next time and possible work arounds? Work toward more time with the baby and your partner - they may both need/want that. In small increments as you all feel comfortable with of course.

Our first trip other than camping or visiting family was when my dd's were 6 mos and 2 1/2 and it was difficult to say the least. But I was determined to keep traveling if we got the opportunity so I used the experience to plan from.

Can you do a weekend or a one night trip close to home once in a while? Maybe a nice hotel with a pool would be a good treat for everyone. If nothing else you are not cooking and cleaning so you can focus 100% on your spouse and children.

Don't give up - you all deserve some time away once in a while

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #60
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Okay, here's where I think you did yourself in- You are attempting to have an adult style vacation with small children.

It is absolutely possible to have a grand and glorious vacation with little ones, but you have to completely change your head space about what "grand and glorious" means.

I had some trouble making that adjustment in the first few years of parenting and what I came out with was the viewpoint that a vacation with little kids simply has to be built around them and their schedules rather than my pre-conceived notions about how things are done or how I've always done them. Once you get used to the idea that the vacation style is going to be totally different than you're used to it becomes easier to embrace the changes. Worst case scenario, they don't stay little forever. Adult vacations and schedules will return. For now, just try to figure out what Baby Style Hawaii looks like and go with that.

Apr 2014 Offsite, Aug 2013 Pop Century, Apr 2013 Fort Wilderness, Nov 2012 Pop Century, June 2012 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2012 Offsite,
Aug 2011 Offsite, Apr 2011 Pop Century, Oct 2010 Pop Century, Apr 2010 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2009 Pop Century, June 1997 Offsite, Dec 1996 Offsite
tlh0726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: