Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Places to "park" a wheelchair?

After surgery for Achilles tendon repair, I am going to WDW April 30-May 3. (The trip is work related and planned months ago.) I was immobilized in a cast for 11 weeks, then in a walking boot for 3 weeks. I *just* got out of the boot and became a biped on April 15th.

My PT is walk, walk walk. When it gets tired or sore then ice, elevate, rest and then walk some more. I am a WDW veteran, so I DO know how much walking is involved. My current gait is VERY slow with a limp. My brain kicked in an I am going to rent a wheelchair from Walker mobility, chiefly for getting to/from room to/from bus stop to park entrance.

Where are good places within each of the parks to park/leave a wheelchair for perhaps up to an hour, then retrieve it?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Pretty much any of the stroller parking areas would work. Remember like strollers wheelchairs may get moved. You may want to move it with you from area to area so you don't find yourself acros the park when you need a seat
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

I was going to ask this same question OP. So we're ok to park the wheelchair with the strollers? I had no idea. Thank you

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Some areas now have 'designated' ECV' parking areas. If I were you, I would park a wheechair there rather than in a stroller parking area. But that is JMHO and what *I* would do. I know they have a specifically designated ECV parking area in Tomorrowland it is kind of across from the Buzz Lighyear's Space Ranger Spin attraction near the entrance to the "wedway people mover". I saw one in another area too but the specifics of it escapes me at this particular moment.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Some areas now have 'designated' ECV' parking areas. If I were you, I would park a wheechair there rather than in a stroller parking area. But that is JMHO and what *I* would do. I know they have a specifically designated ECV parking area in Tomorrowland it is kind of across from the Buzz Lighyear's Space Ranger Spin attraction near the entrance to the "wedway people mover". I saw one in another area too but the specifics of it escapes me at this particular moment.
They do also park strollers there too.
Where they have them, it is often a side of the stroller parking area that is marked with a wheelchair symbol.
The one by the Peoplemover is in a spot where there are 3 attractions where ECVs can't go on - one is the Peoplemover, one is Buzz Lightyear and the last is the Astro Orbitors - all very close in that same area, so it really makes sense to mark it so people know where to go.

If you not know where to park, just ask the CM at the entrance to the attraction.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

THANK YOU for all of the good responses--I had no idea there were (some) specified areas for "long term parking." I knew I would fines what I needed on this list and I so appreciate the help!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Just a suggestion to make sure that you put something on your chair to identify it easily. Unlike a personal chair, a lot of the rental chairs look exactly alike. Putting some identifying mark on it will make it easier for you to find and lessen the chance that someone else accidentally takes it.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: