Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #46
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

KCMike,

Congrats to you and your daughter. Your pics are awesome too. I need to get more confidence in shooting outside of P and A , but moments like these where you get no do overs isnt where I want to take chances. I need to practice and practice some more. I understand how the triangle works but get flustered especially when I might miss something important. Great job to all of us parents of graduates!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #47
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post

IMG_9865 by KC MikeD, on Flickr

KCI Expo Center by KC MikeD, on Flickr

LOVE these 2 shots. I really wanted one like the first one, but the kids didn't come in until after parents were seated, and they asked us not to leave our seats. I think when it's Katie's turn, I might push the boundaries a little more. I also might have to give up any semblance of looking normal and just go with 2 bodies. It's really the only answer.

And love the shallow DOF on the second one. What a gorgeous smile she has Mike. She's a beautiful girl.

So did your wife hold tight, or did she have to break out the tissues? Katie actually turned to me as it was all starting and gave me the evil eye saying "You're not going to cry, are you?"

My secret is that I actually use the photography to distract me from the emotional side of what's going on. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd lose it.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #48
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
LOVE these 2 shots. I really wanted one like the first one, but the kids didn't come in until after parents were seated, and they asked us not to leave our seats. I think when it's Katie's turn, I might push the boundaries a little more. I also might have to give up any semblance of looking normal and just go with 2 bodies. It's really the only answer.

And love the shallow DOF on the second one. What a gorgeous smile she has Mike. She's a beautiful girl.

So did your wife hold tight, or did she have to break out the tissues? Katie actually turned to me as it was all starting and gave me the evil eye saying "You're not going to cry, are you?"

My secret is that I actually use the photography to distract me from the emotional side of what's going on. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd lose it.
Funny you should mention that. My wife did cry. I looked over at her at one point and I saw the tears flowing. My daughter asked if I cried and I had to tell her I didn't. I told her that I probably won't cry until she leaves our home. When I know that she isn't sleeping under my roof I will probably break down. Either that or her wedding day.

Thanks for the kind comments from everyone!
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #49
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvscrappin View Post
I need to get more confidence in shooting outside of P and A , but moments like these where you get no do overs isnt where I want to take chances. I need to practice and practice some more. I understand how the triangle works but get flustered especially when I might miss something important. Great job to all of us parents of graduates!
I totally get how you feel. It's why I'm so hesitant to get out of program mode with the flash when I do character photos at Disney. No do-overs, and I just don't want to take a chance.

And you saw my answer upthread when someone suggested going full manual for better results at graduation. I was just too unsure of that to want to risk it. I will say though that even semi-automatic modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc.) greatly improve your odds of getting the shot you want. Putting the camera in shutter priority of 1/200 is what kept the shots fairly sharp for me. Without telling the camera I didn't want to go below 1/200, it might have put me down far lower and shown more camera shake with such a large lens.

It really takes a while to learn to think on your feet after years of shooting on auto. I'm still learning. If I had better instincts in that regard, I'd have better shots of them marching into the auditorium.

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. My wife did cry. I looked over at her at one point and I saw the tears flowing. My daughter asked if I cried and I had to tell her I didn't. I told her that I probably won't cry until she leaves our home. When I know that she isn't sleeping under my roof I will probably break down. Either that or her wedding day.

Thanks for the kind comments from everyone!
Next time send your wife in with a camera too, so she has her own distraction.

I'm going to be a mess when we go drop him off at school. No way around it. No amount of photography is going to distract me from that.

I'm not sure who will be a bigger more blubbery mess..... me or his cat.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #50
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I just got my first chance to sit and relax now as we reached the weekend. I went to Rent Glass.com and noticed they had an "L" lens and thought it might be fun to shoot with it while on vacation but I'm a little too late as Memorial Day Weekend won't give me the opportunity to rent the lens. Oh well.

Are you taking any new/rented lenses with you on your trip Janet?
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #51
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just got my first chance to sit and relax now as we reached the weekend. I went to Rent Glass.com and noticed they had an "L" lens and thought it might be fun to shoot with it while on vacation but I'm a little too late as Memorial Day Weekend won't give me the opportunity to rent the lens. Oh well.

Are you taking any new/rented lenses with you on your trip Janet?
Like you Mike, graduation and vacation are just too close together for much planning. I'm going to just go with what I have. Although having some fun L glass would be pretty cool. I'm not so sure I'd want to take a rented lens to the beach anyway. It would make me nervous.

I might consider it for our December trip though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: