Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Just a quick update. Since I started this thread, only one of these lenses has shown available and that was the older version, and even that was only in stock for a nanosecond before going back out again.

I called Rentglass.com last week and they were very helpful. They confirmed that they have several copies of these in circulation and said one was due back Friday with more coming back this week. They also reminded me that when I rent it online for local pickup I have 3 business days to pick it up. So that gave me a little breathing room since my week wouldn't start until I picked it up.

I've been stalking their site (in spite of being signed up for emails) and just found a Version II showing back in stock. I jumped on it and will pick it up Wednesday.

I'm really glad it was the II that showed up first, or I might have felt compelled to take the older version just to be sure I had something.

Now to just keep my fingers crossed that I can come away with some decent shots.

Thanks again for the input everyone!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Glad it showed up for you! They really are nice folks, and I love being able to book it 2-3 days before I pick it up. I'll need something for the night of the 22nd, so time to start stalking...
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan View Post
Glad it showed up for you! They really are nice folks, and I love being able to book it 2-3 days before I pick it up. I'll need something for the night of the 22nd, so time to start stalking...
If it's a 2.8 zoom, I'll have this one back on the 21st or 22nd. But it will be early on the 22nd.

I had completely spaced on the 3 day pick-up period, so that was a huge help. The timing could not have been better.

Fingers crossed you find what you need when you need it.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Make sure to fully inspect the lens and bring your camera to do some test shots if even before you get in your car and drive away. When I rented last summer I put in on the camera after I visually inspected it and found a blemish in the middle of the lens. Just an FYI.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Make sure to fully inspect the lens and bring your camera to do some test shots if even before you get in your car and drive away. When I rented last summer I put in on the camera after I visually inspected it and found a blemish in the middle of the lens. Just an FYI.
Thanks for the great suggestion Mike! I made sure to bring my camera along today when I picked it up and was able to check it out before leaving the parking lot.

I took it to Baccalaureate tonight and was able to put it through the paces. I have a different strap and bag than I did when I rented 2 years ago, so this was a lot easier to carry around with me. Graduation will be a little tougher since they ask people not to get up and move around. I might have to push the envelope a bit at the end to get some shots of them leaving, but I'll mostly be good.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I'm glad I got a chance to handle this lens at Baccalaureate. I have an idea of how to approach it now for graduation on Sunday.

I'm curious, what is the lowest shutter speed you guys would use on this lens? I know common sense says 1/200, but that would be tough. I went Aperture priority at 2.8 last night and ended up with some shots down to 1/50 or 1/60 that were great, but others blurry. I was trying to stay at 1600 ISO last night but will probably have to make friends with 3200 on Sunday.

IMG_9678 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9674 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9694 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And not with this lens, but just because.

Class of 2013 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I think those shots looks pretty darn good. You say that was in the night last night? How was the lighting? It looked as if their was plenty of lighting in that room. My daughter had her scholarship award night last night and it was extremely dark in there. My pics looked horrible. The only fast lens I have is the 50mm.

I think this is the first time I've seen your son as well. Great portrait shot! You all must be extremely proud of him!

Big weekend for both us!

Mike
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I'm glad I got a chance to handle this lens at Baccalaureate. I have an idea of how to approach it now for graduation on Sunday.

I'm curious, what is the lowest shutter speed you guys would use on this lens? I know common sense says 1/200, but that would be tough. I went Aperture priority at 2.8 last night and ended up with some shots down to 1/50 or 1/60 that were great, but others blurry. I was trying to stay at 1600 ISO last night but will probably have to make friends with 3200 on Sunday.

I think u did great for ur first time with it. Congrats on ur son too!

Jimi

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I think those shots looks pretty darn good. You say that was in the night last night? How was the lighting? It looked as if their was plenty of lighting in that room. My daughter had her scholarship award night last night and it was extremely dark in there. My pics looked horrible. The only fast lens I have is the 50mm.

I think this is the first time I've seen your son as well. Great portrait shot! You all must be extremely proud of him!

Big weekend for both us!

Mike
Thanks Mike! Yes, it was last night. It was in a church with a fair number of windows and at 7 PM it was still pretty light. Sunday graduation will be at the Church of Christ Auditorium which will have no daylight at all.

I'm surprised your 50mm didn't do the trick for you. That's faster than what I was using. How high did you go with the ISO? I'll go up to 3200 on my T2i. I'm sure your 60D can do at least that well. Are you shooting RAW? For some of these tricky lighting situations, that can help. You can even get away with underexposing a bit to get your shutter speed up then upping the exposure a bit in processing.

Timmy did get word today that he finished second in his class, so we'll at least have reserved seating. Which is good since there's a chance for thunderstorms Sunday. We lined up over an hour ahead of Robbie's graduation so I could get the seats I wanted. It would not be fun to fight that in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I think u did great for ur first time with it. Congrats on ur son too!

Jimi

Thanks so much Jimi! I took the lens along to my daughter's softball game tonight so got a little more familiar with it, and a little more used to carting it around. I'm starting to get used to it. Which is NOT a good thing. It's going to be really hard to give it up next week!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
nvtsallo
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Great shots. I love that lens but the weight sometimes is too much.
nvtsallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtsallo View Post
Great shots. I love that lens but the weight sometimes is too much.
Thanks! I could learn to love that lens, in spite of its heft. I took it to my daughter's softball game last night so I'm getting more used to it. I know when I had the other version of this lens when my older son graduated it seemed even worse. It helps a LOT to have it on a black rapid strap so I can occasionally hang it at my side.

I still toy with buying the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS but it's almost as heavy as this lens at 2.95 pounds compared to this one at 3.28 pounds. I have the non OS version of that lens but really lose out a lot by not having stabilization. I looked at the shutter speeds on what I took the other night at Baccalaureate and had clear shots at 1/50 and 1/60. I never could have done that on the non OS Sigma. But dang that Sigma is SO much lighter than this. And I do LOVE the 50-150 range. 50mm just seems so much more usable to me than 70mm (on a crop sensor).

Last edited by mom2rtk; 05-17-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I looked at the shutter speeds on what I took the other night at Baccalaureate and had clear shots at 1/50 and 1/60. I never could have done that on the non OS Sigma.
Do not expect that to continue shooting people at those speeds. They pretty much have to be still for the IS/ OS/ VR to do its job. Moving subjects at those speeds will not be sharp.

You asked earlier about what shutter speeds to stay with and i would say 1/200 or faster should work. Shooting in RAW you should be able to bring some underexposure back in post. Also don't be afraid of ISO 3200, i have the same camera and its not that bad. Also you can run it through a noise reduction program if its excessive.

Gear- Canon 6d, Canon 24-70 F/4 IS, Canon 70-200 F/ IS, Canon 430 EXii
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaresejr View Post
Do not expect that to continue shooting people at those speeds. They pretty much have to be still for the IS/ OS/ VR to do its job. Moving subjects at those speeds will not be sharp.

You asked earlier about what shutter speeds to stay with and i would say 1/200 or faster should work. Shooting in RAW you should be able to bring some underexposure back in post. Also don't be afraid of ISO 3200, i have the same camera and its not that bad. Also you can run it through a noise reduction program if its excessive.
Yeah. I hear you on that. I didn't shoot at those speeds on purpose. I went with Aperture Priority of 2.8 and ISO at 1600 (there was a lot of natural light and thought I could get away with it) and was surprised when the speed ended up so low. I should have watched it closer but was happy some of the shots turned out OK.

That was sort of the point of having the lens in advance and testing it out. (Well, that and developing my arm muscles!) The venue on Sunday is much darker overall, but the stage will be brighter. I do think I will go into it at 3200 ISO and try shutter priority of 1/200 and see what that gets me. And yes, I do shoot things like this in RAW, and use Lightroom for noise reduction so I'll have some latitude with the images in processing.

I hope I can also get some nice shots of my son's friends. It's fun to surprise parents later with some images they would never be able to get with their own cameras.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:
Yeah. I hear you on that. I didn't shoot at those speeds on purpose. I went with Aperture Priority of 2.8 and ISO at 1600 (there was a lot of natural light and thought I could get away with it) and was surprised when the speed ended up so low. I should have watched it closer but was happy some of the shots turned out OK.

That was sort of the point of having the lens in advance and testing it out. (Well, that and developing my arm muscles!) The venue on Sunday is much darker overall, but the stage will be brighter. I do think I will go into it at 3200 ISO and try shutter priority of 1/200 and see what that gets me. And yes, I do shoot things like this in RAW, and use Lightroom for noise reduction so I'll have some latitude with the images in processing.

I hope I can also get some nice shots of my son's friends. It's fun to surprise parents later with some images they would never be able to get with their own cameras.
If you are comfortable, I would even suggest shooting in full manual, if you will be in a venue where the lighting will, most likely, not change (graduation type evens, obviously stage performance lights will change). Take a few shots before, to dial in the right exposure. The issue with the some of the semi-auto exposure modes, is that it can get fooled. One shot someone would be wearing a bright white shirt, then the next shot someone is where a black shirt. Or one of stage light just happens to be pointed right at you. You can always take a peek at the light meter in the viewfinder to check if the lighting is doing something drastic.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

If you are comfortable, I would even suggest shooting in full manual, if you will be in a venue where the lighting will, most likely, not change (graduation type evens, obviously stage performance lights will change). Take a few shots before, to dial in the right exposure. The issue with the some of the semi-auto exposure modes, is that it can get fooled. One shot someone would be wearing a bright white shirt, then the next shot someone is where a black shirt. Or one of stage light just happens to be pointed right at you. You can always take a peek at the light meter in the viewfinder to check if the lighting is doing something drastic.
I second this if u have the time. Started to learn manual has deff improved my shots. I think the camera sensors get fooled like u said. I have been very surprised at how much faster shutter speeds I can get in manual and not be underexposed compared if I was on ap and let the camera decide. I just look at my histogram after I shoot and the pic and go from there. I don't look at the exposure meter in my viewfinder. That's just me and I'm still learning but it deff seems to be helpful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: