Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
robinb
DIS Veteran

Meh. I live in Wisconsin and we never have direct flights. It's really not getting your undies in a bundle over IMO.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Meh. I live in Wisconsin and we never have direct flights. It's really not getting your undies in a bundle over IMO.
I disagree with this. I am a very nervous flyer. One take-off is all I can handle.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
In my email I told them I was not happy with them and they are forcing me to go back to USAIR. We use to fly them until SWA came along. Maybe if everyone emails them our disappointment they will reconsider and bring back SWA the way we remember and like them for.

As far as traveling with Airtran, I haven't wanted to give them the chance because, my sister flew with them a few times and hated every flight and she says the planes are smaller.

We are flying home on a Sunday and was hoping for a 7 pm flight. We like to take advantage of all the time we can. Maybe I should go back to USAir. I remember getting 9pm flight off of them. I wonder if they still have them.

Also my main concern is my sons peanut and tree nut allergy. SWA have been GREAT for that, never an issue and going to someone new with him is scary.
They make these decisions based on financials. A few e-mails from infrequent flyers are not going to make them change their mind.

AirTran flies 737's (same as SW) and 717's (a little smaller). SW is in the process of subleasing the 717's to Delta. So when they are completely merged, all SW flights will be 737's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Qtz0205 View Post
I disagree with this. I am a very nervous flyer. One take-off is all I can handle.
The OP still has the option of several non-stops. As Robin said, some cities have none.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
That's true for "operated by" Airtran flights - for now. Once the integration is completed (end of 2014), everything will be Southwest.

I totally get how the seating thing could be a dealbreaker for some. When my daughter was younger, we had more anxiety about seating than we do now. Both our flights in August will be operated by Airtran. Even worse for us is my tickets are on a separate confirmation than my wife's and daughter's because we used points in different RR accounts. We'll see how it goes.

But for us, the flight times are more important than SWA boarding procedures. And I'm such a cheapskate, now that Early Bird is $12.50 per person, I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

If we get split up and people won't switch with us, I'll tell my wife to ask whoever is sitting next to her to hold her hand during takeoff. And then sneeze in her hands. I'll break out a kabanos and start chewing away. (It's even stinkier when I burp it than it is when I eat it.) I'll coach my daughter to ask everybody in her row to pass down their air-sick bags because she's not feeling well. (I kid! I kid!)
Glad to see that you're kidding. It gets tiresome to see those that are serious about that kind of thing!!! They want the cheapest available fare, don't want to pay anything extra, but want all the amenities! Those that want to be assured of being seated with family members or traveling companions should either pay for EBCI on SW, or pay a bit more to fly an airline that allows to to pre-select your seats.

I have flown Airtran a couple of times. I was prepared to be underwhelmed. I was pleasantly surprised! Yes, I did pay extra to board early and choose my seat. But I was flying with carryon only, so needed to be sure I had plenty of room for that bag in the overhead. But, the fare I ended up paying, with those extras, wasn't huge. Yes, I had to make connections, but such is life. All in all, they were very nice flights.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

I know it's a drive but have you looked at flights out of BWI?
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
jskacoc
Earning My Ears

I know it's not a popular option with a lot of people but this is why we fly Spirit out of AC. My flights for September are $59 plus tax each way. I've learned how to pack light to avoid baggage fees and don't pay for seat assignments. We also like that it's a smaller airport. I've never had a problem with them.
May 2010 Disney Wonder & POR
Oct 2008 off-site
Oct 2007 off-site
jskacoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
MaryKatesMom
DIS Veteran

The think I dislike the most about SW is trying to figure out when the schedule is coming out.

For years I would plan a year out when I would be going to WDW and getting the times I want, like the PP's early in late & late out requires monitoring unlike the legacy carriers which have the schedules out farther ahead.

Now we can't plan that far out and our last trip if the bags weren't free it would have been a wash USAir out of Scranton/ Wilkesbarre or SW out of Philly.
MaryKatesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Flying out of Dallas is the same. We never get direct flights, but I still use them if the price is the cheapest.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
antree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
I know it's a drive but have you looked at flights out of BWI?
I keep asking everyone how about we fly from BWI, but my DH isn't a fan of having to drive there.

As far as AirTran goes, Did they drop the fee bag if you book from SW? I know as of last year they still had the fees on their site. Now that they are on SW site is the fee gone?

Does anyone know when the next leg of flights open with SW?

We have flown Spirit years ago, as I recall they were not too bad.

Like I said I am a worry wart, and I am comfortable with SW because I have been flying with them since my DS was born. SW has been really good with his allergy. I just wish their flights were not so limited in Philly.

I am weighing all our options and checking all flights everywhere. I am gathering on the info and hope to know what to do by the time SW opens the rest of Nov.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

With Philly, if you're not going Southwest/Airtran, then you need to look towards US Air to MCO. That could be a whole other problem if you're booking for later in the year as US Air becomes part of American Airlines. I've got a feeling you'll see all sorts of flight changes with US Air as the merger closes. For that reason I'm not booking any US Air flights past this summer. Basically that only leaves Southwest / Air Tran as the only game in town for Philly to MCO until the mergers are sorted

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antree View Post
I keep asking everyone how about we fly from BWI, but my DH isn't a fan of having to drive there.

As far as AirTran goes, Did they drop the fee bag if you book from SW? I know as of last year they still had the fees on their site. Now that they are on SW site is the fee gone?

Does anyone know when the next leg of flights open with SW?

We have flown Spirit years ago, as I recall they were not too bad.

Like I said I am a worry wart, and I am comfortable with SW because I have been flying with them since my DS was born. SW has been really good with his allergy. I just wish their flights were not so limited in Philly.

I am weighing all our options and checking all flights everywhere. I am gathering on the info and hope to know what to do by the time SW opens the rest of Nov.

I just flew on Airtran booked through Southwest and the bags were free.

Problem is that since you are not assigned a seat until you get to the gate, there is a chance you wont get a seat, like me. I was bumped to a later flight and am now going between Airtran and Southwest to see who is responsible for compensation for denied boarding.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
Joan1
DIS Veteran

I have never flown Southwest and heard many good things about them. We were excited they were going to start service at EWR but then when they finally did all flights were connecting. I don't want to connect on a two and a half hour flight. Also their prices out of my local airport are not any better, sometimes higher, than our normal airline

reading this post makes me glad we didn't get a chance to even use them as they seem to be getting greedy / changing a lot from what most people love them most for
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
emilymad
DIS Veteran

We are long time SW flyers out of Philly as well. We recently booked our October trip and were very disappointed with the schedule. Originally we booked on an Airtran flight down and a SW flight home. Thanks to reading information on the DIS I realized the issue with not being able to pick seats on the Airtran flight. This is a major issue for us as DH is tall and needs an aisle seat. We usually buy EB's and never have an issue. Luckily we are far an enough out to change both flights to be SW flights. We are still flying on miles and not cash. Once we run out of miles I think we will to consider every airline before we book. It is sad that it seems to be going so down hill. We have HATED every flight we ever took on Airtran. The planes have always been small and dirty.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
brettb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post

Problem is that since you are not assigned a seat until you get to the gate, there is a chance you wont get a seat, like me. I was bumped to a later flight and am now going between Airtran and Southwest to see who is responsible for compensation for denied boarding.
When did you check in? Did you check in online at 24-hours out?

If you meet the requirement for involuntary denied boarding, I would have thought you should have been compensated on the spot but I don't know much about IDB.

SWA says: "Customers will follow the existing boarding procedures for the carrier operating their flight (the Operating Carrier)."

AirTran says: "Can I change my seat assignment?
Passengers using the online flight check-in program will be able to select their seat assignment during the online check-in process. To change an existing seat assignment, from the itinerary page of the program, click on the link for currently assigned seat number to get to the seat map and select another seat."

This doesn't seem much different, functionally, from SWA except you pick your seats when you check-in rather than when you board the plane. Either way, you'll be picking seats from those left after people who paid extra (EBCI or for assigned seats) or those who checked in online before you did.

This biggest problem for us with this is the return flight. In the past, we've balanced the cost of EBCI against the inconvenience of taking time out to check in ourselves. $145 in baggage fees (to book the return through AirTran) is a lot more than $37.50 for EBCI (which isn't an option anyway).
8-9/'11 AKL (Free dining!)
8/10 Polynesian (40% PIN)
7/09 AKL (7-for-4 + AP discount)
8/08 AKL (Free dining!) & 5/08 Coronado Springs Resort
12/07 Animal Kingdom Lodge
9-10/06 Pop Century (Free dining!)
10/05 Wilderness Lodge (Free dining!)
12/04 Grand Floridian & 6/04 Polynesian
8/03 Contemporary for 15 minutes, Grand Floridian for the rest of the trip
10/02 Polynesian
1976-96 Contemporary, Village Resort, All-Star Sports, Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Off-property
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post

I thought seats were assigned when you check in online at 24 hours.

Quote:
Q: When can I check in?

A: You can check in and print your boarding pass up to 24 hours before the departure of your first flight. If you are flying on a Southwest segment, you will be assigned a boarding group (A, B or C) and position (1-60+) upon check in. Available Southwest boarding passes will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis upon check in. Please remember, the earlier you check in, the lower your boarding group and position will be for the Southwest-operated segment of your trip.

Q: Is it possible to purchase an advanced seat assignment for the AirTran segment of an itinerary that was purchased via Southwest channels?

A: Advanced seat assignments are not available on shared itineraries purchased via Southwest channels. Customers who purchase an AirTran segment on Southwest channels will be assigned a seat at the time of check in.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: