Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Fun without Port Adventures or additional costs?

I am a solo parent traveling on the Dream with my 2 boys ages 8 & 10.

I'm budgeting for airfare, transportation to the cruise, tips and a $250 in fun money.

I'm curious if it is possible to have a great DCL cruise on a budget (i.e. no port adventures, limited additional expenses).

Is Castaway Cay doable without additional expenses? Can we have just "fun in the sun"?

I don't want (or like) to skrimp but its that or no cruise.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post

I'm budgeting for airfare, transportation to the cruise, tips and a $250 in fun money.

I'm curious if it is possible to have a great DCL cruise on a budget (i.e. no port adventures, limited additional expenses).

Is Castaway Cay doable without additional expenses? Can we have just "fun in the sun"?

Absolutely! We are a family of four and on a 5 night cruise we spent less than $100 and had a blast. We had 2 stops at CC and did not schedule Port Adventures either time and had a wonderful time.

tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
timweston
Earning My Ears

I've only been on one Disney cruise, but I think a cruise without port adventures would still be lots of fun.

We had a shortened day at Castaway Cay due to docking late, so our excursion was cancelled. We still had a wonderful time there swimming, relaxing on the beach and exploring the island a bit.

You might want to check navigators for a cruise similar to the one you'll be one to see what activities take place while the ship is in port. There are always movies on funnelvision, the pools, AquaDuck, etc.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
jlbeard
Earning My Ears

I am a single parent as well, my ds is 3....my plan is to do just what you are asking. However, I do plan on bike riding on CC. Other than that, we will relax on the beach and enjoying other free recreation on the ship. I look forward to having a WONDERFUL time.

jlbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

What ports are you stopping at? I'm guessing on the Dream - Nassau. I haven't been there, but heard that lots of people stay on the ship, that would be one way to limit expenses in port and a great way to explore the ship since being the dream its likely a 3 or 4 night cruise.

The only things we paid for on Castaway Cay were floating tubes (not needed) alcohol (1 drink, probably also not needed)

On the ship our main expenditures were
- palo
- remy
- Photos at Shutters
- souvenirs

All of the above were a choice and I don't feel like I would have missed out if we skipped any of them.
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post

That is very possible, not counting the tips our room bill is often under $25 . We never spend any money on Castaway Cay. We get off look around, eat, take part in activities, swim and play on the slides in the bay. You will have a great time on CC without spending money. Often in the ports we just get off the ship and walk around the ports. Often we only spend a couple of dollars on souvenirs for my son. On the ship almost everything is included. The only expense we have is a tip for room service and you can take care of that by taking some one dollar bills so you can keep track of that without it being on your room bill.

Notes: On a tight budget check your room balance every couple of days to make sure there is nothing unexpected. Do not let your kids have charging privileges on their room card. Mine ran up an arcade bill before I knew it. Now if he needs to spend something he comes to me.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Time4disney
Mouseketeer

You and your boys will have a great time without going on port adventures. The ship offers "free" activities while in port and there is also the pool, movie theater, aqua duck, mini-golf, mid-ship detective agency, and activities in the kids' clubs etc. All of this is FREE!

Castaway Cay has Pelican Plunge which is a free water slide area. Snorkeling along the family beach is free too. All swimming, food, ice cream, and non alcoholic drinks are free on the island.

Don't forget about room service. It is free unless you order canned soda, bottled water, prepackaged chips and candy(also sold right outside the theaters before the shows). You only have to pay the tip for room service.

Some of the things that do cost extra is the Arr-cade and smoothies. I do believe the kids clubs offer an activity at a particular time where smoothies might be free but I'm not positive about this. Maybe someone can tell you more about the kids club activities.

Have a GREAT trip!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

IMO DCL is the best line for not needing to pay extra for fun. There is so much to do on the ship that you won't run out of things to do even if you never leave the ship. Go see a (free) 3D movie, swim, ride the Aqua Duck, play Muppet Detective Agency, and the list goes on.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
owensamo
DIS Veteran

The only thing I would recommend spending money on on Castaway Cay is floats. I think they're $6 each per day - with two kids, I'd probably get two.

Now that said - we actually cruised like 5 or 6 times before first rented floats at CC and still had a great time every time! But we've found our DD really enjoys having the floats so she can go out further in the water. We get the lounger-style floats rather than the inner tubes.

We've also done the bikes - rental is $6/hour (though I think they're pretty lenient on time - I've never seen someone actually checking them back in!). Other than that I think the only thing we ever spent money on the island for is drinks (Konk Cooler!) and souvenirs.

I think the biggest on-board spending areas are: drinks (alcohol/coffee, smoothies), photos, bingo, arcade. If you can avoid those, and budget sensibly for souvenirs from the shop, you can certainly have a great cruise for little additional cost. Most of the best activities are free, the kids make crafts in the clubs that are great souvenirs (pillow cases from the PJ party, etc), and there's no extra cost for the great MDR meals, quick service meals, buffet - or room service (though you'll want to tip the delivery person).

For port days, every DCL Bahamian/Carribbean port has plenty to see near the port for little to no cost - and most of the islands have inexpensive taxis that can take you to free/inexpensive beaches for the day. There is plenty of port-specific information both on here and other cruise message boards - just search for your ports and you can find a lot of ideas for low-cost things to see.

I'll say it's easy to spend a lot of money on Disney cruises - but it's also just as easy not to spend any. I don't think you miss out on the best parts of the cruise either way.
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
shburks
DIS Veteran

Absolutely! I'm single parenting while husband is deployed and took my ds 8 on the Dream in January. No Palo, do alcoholic drinks...bought two pictures I HAD to have and tshirt in the gift shop. Oh...and one trading pin for ds. That was it.

We stayed on ship at Nassau and had a great day and had a ton of fun at CC just playing. We did get a float...

DCL: Fantasy: December 2014 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Two 7 night cruises so far and we haven't taken a single Port Adventure yet. We have a great time getting off in port and seeing/doing whatever we want. We've had great cruises just doing our own thing!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

We just got back from a 4 day Dream. Never left the ship in Nassau and never got bored. Castaway was a blast too with little extra expense.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

I agree with everyone else that you all will have an AMAZING time without breaking the bank.

My only additional suggestion would be that if your boys are like my kids and have a case of the 'gimmies,' you might consider letting them earn a little money helping around the house (either as extra to your budgeted $250, or part of that) for any souvenirs that they might want. That way, if they want something on the ship or in port, they have their own money to spend you don't have to worry about saying no, you can just say, "If that is what you want to spend your money on!" I've done that with my daughter on our last few DCL trips, and it has worked well. She's more helpful around the house, and she doesn't want everything she sees, when she knows she is spending her own money.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
traylork
Earning My Ears

I haven't been to CC yet (next month!), so I can't say for sure they are permitted there (they are not permitted onboard), but you can buy inflatable inner tubes at target for under $3. No need to pay DCL $6. I p,an to leave them there when we are done.
traylork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylork View Post
I haven't been to CC yet (next month!), so I can't say for sure they are permitted there (they are not permitted onboard), but you can buy inflatable inner tubes at target for under $3. No need to pay DCL $6. I p,an to leave them there when we are done.
Just in case you weren't going to, please make sure you collapse them and bin them as opposed to leaving them on the beach.
If you don't do it, the CMs have to. More work :-(
Have a great time!!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: