Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Belle83
DIS Veteran
 
Belle83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,182

Initial Thoughts on Coronado Springs

We checked in at CSR on 4/18 and I wanted to share my initial thoughts, especially now that I have stayed at all of the moderates and can compare.

The grounds are beautiful, I think maybe even prettier than CBR. Definitely prettier than POR and POFQ. Check-in was easy, but it was really late and we were the only ones there.

I requested Cabanas or Casitas and they gave us Ranchos, lol. At first I was disappointed, but we're in 9B which is right by the Cabanas. I think we technically have a water view (didn't pay for it) of the Ranchos pool, which is nice because we're not facing a parking lot even though the curtains are closed all of the time anyway. We're very close to the bus stop, and close to the elevator/ice machine (a bonus for someone traveling with a fiancé with a bad knee). We're also close to the main pool but haven't checked it out yet.

We haven't even bothered with any of the dining options here because the main area is so far away! I've always had closer rooms at the other moderates to the main food areas.

Our room is a standard double room. It is definitely in need of a refurb. Maybe I was spoiled by the brand new room at POR last December but this room is a little run down. The bathroom is kind of icky. The dresser and desk are dark and therefore show every scratch. Room decor could use some updating too.

So I would stay here again but not until they re-do the rooms.

Hope that helps!

ETA:

I forgot to add that the buses have been great at CSR. Have hardly waited for any, going both to and from parks.

Also forgot to add that the bathrooms at CSR need that shelf under them for storage like they have at CBR. The bathrooms at POR had way more storage space. Even with a counter only having one sink, there is less room for everyone's stuff because there are no extra shelves.
__________________
Disneyland: 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2013
Disney Cruise: 2000 (Magic), 2014 (Dream)
WDW: 1998 Caribbean Beach, 2000 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2004 Caribbean Beach, 2011 Dolphin, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2013 Coronado Springs, 2014 Caribbean Beach & Animal Kingdom Lodge

Last edited by Belle83; 04-22-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,949

Thanks for your update. I think with CSR the location really can make or break your stay. Resort theming is pretty subjective. One year we had a car during our AKL stay, and decided to do some sleuthing on our next stay, which was between CSR or POR. So we drove to both resorts to stroll around, and we thought POR was prettier, to us. Plus POR has multiple bridges connecting the different areas to main area.
Enjoy your vacay, we will all live vicariously thru your updates!! I still have 119 days to go, not that I'm counting
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
We checked in at CSR on 4/18 and I wanted to share my initial thoughts, especially now that I have stayed at all of the moderates and can compare.

The grounds are beautiful, I think maybe even prettier than CBR. Definitely prettier than POR and POFQ. Check-in was easy, but it was really late and we were the only ones there.

I requested Cabanas or Casitas and they gave us Ranchos, lol. At first I was disappointed, but we're in 9B which is right by the Cabanas. I think we technically have a water view (didn't pay for it) of the Ranchos pool, which is nice because we're not facing a parking lot even though the curtains are closed all of the time anyway. We're very close to the bus stop, and close to the elevator/ice machine (a bonus for someone traveling with a fiancé with a bad knee). We're also close to the main pool but haven't checked it out yet.

We haven't even bothered with any of the dining options here because the main area is so far away! I've always had closer rooms at the other moderates to the main food areas.

Our room is a standard double room. It is definitely in need of a refurb. Maybe I was spoiled by the brand new room at POR last December but this room is a little run down. The bathroom is kind of icky. The dresser and desk are dark and therefore show every scratch. Room decor could use some updating too.

So I would stay here again but not until they re-do the rooms.

Hope that helps.
Sorry you're not happy with the location :-( Did you ask to be changed to Cabanas or Casitas 4/5 at check in? We love CSR and have stayed there 3 times. Twice we paid for preferred (Casitas 1-3) and once we requested Casitas 4 or 5 and got 4. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip!
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
Belle83
DIS Veteran
 
Belle83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Sorry you're not happy with the location :-( Did you ask to be changed to Cabanas or Casitas 4/5 at check in? We love CSR and have stayed there 3 times. Twice we paid for preferred (Casitas 1-3) and once we requested Casitas 4 or 5 and got 4. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip!
The location is fine, we're right by the Cabanas actually. It would be a bad location if we were going to eat in the food court a lot but we haven't been. We're really close to the bus stop which is nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Thanks for your update. I think with CSR the location really can make or break your stay. Resort theming is pretty subjective. One year we had a car during our AKL stay, and decided to do some sleuthing on our next stay, which was between CSR or POR. So we drove to both resorts to stroll around, and we thought POR was prettier, to us. Plus POR has multiple bridges connecting the different areas to main area.
Enjoy your vacay, we will all live vicariously thru your updates!! I still have 119 days to go, not that I'm counting
Yeah location is a big make-or-break thing. Have fun at POR!
__________________
Disneyland: 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2013
Disney Cruise: 2000 (Magic), 2014 (Dream)
WDW: 1998 Caribbean Beach, 2000 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2004 Caribbean Beach, 2011 Dolphin, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2013 Coronado Springs, 2014 Caribbean Beach & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
wdwrich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,037

Quote:
The grounds are beautiful, I think maybe even prettier than CBR. Definitely prettier than POR and POFQ.
Glad you like the grounds, but I think this too is a matter of personal preference. Since we live in the southwest, the landscaping at CSR is "run of the mill" for us. We much prefer the landscaping at POR. To each his/her own!
__________________
Rich

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post

The location is fine, we're right by the Cabanas actually. It would be a bad location if we were going to eat in the food court a lot but we haven't been. We're really close to the bus stop which is nice.

Yeah location is a big make-or-break thing. Have fun at POR!
I guess I meant the rooms. We've only had nice new rooms in Casitas. Hope you have a great rest of your trip!
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.